Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Potential Mac Pro customers have been long awaiting updated models from Apple, with the last update to the line having come in July 2010.

Anticipation regarding an updated Mac Pro was heightened back in June as several claims of an imminent launch surfaced. Part numbers claimed to be for new Mac Pro models surfaced a few weeks later, but they instead ultimately turned out to be for new Mac mini models and the Apple Thunderbolt Display.

mac_pro_2010_side_top_half.jpg

With the wait for new Mac Pro models continuing, hope surfaced once again in early September amid reports that Intel was planning a November 15th launch of new Sandy Bridge E processors and their Xeon E5 equivalents suitable for the Mac Pro.

But hopes for a Mac Pro launch before the end of the year appear to have been dashed, as Intel is now targeting an early 2012 release for the new chips. The news, first reported last month, has recently been confirmed with additional timeline information from CPU World.
In September, during Intel Developer Forum event in San Francisco, new information came to light implying that Xeon E5 launch is postponed until the first quarter 2012. Indeed, according to the latest Intel roadmaps, all Xeon E5 processors are going to be delayed by one quarter.

Xeon E5-2600, also compatible with socket R, is aimed at dual-processor workstations and servers, and contains 17 different dual-, quad-, six- and eight-core models with clock speeds up to 3.3 GHz. Both families will be released in Q1 2012. Despite the delay, there were no changes to E5-1600 and E5-2600 microprocessor line-ups.
Apple will almost certainly take advantage of the Xeon E5-2600 series in the next Mac Pro, likely targeting the E5-2620, E5-2650 and E5-2670 for the dual-processor configurations of the Mac Pro, offering options of 12 or 16 cores in those configurations. Single-processor configurations would likely also be made available using other chips.

Article Link: Intel Chip Delays Suggest No New Mac Pro Until at Least Early 2012

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Mac Pro on the back burner. :(

Did you read the article? Intel is delayed on the chips -- not much Apple can do about that.

Whether or not Mac Pro is "back burner" is still up for debate, but this article gives no support to either side of that argument.

Certainly the Mac Pro sells less units than the others, but I can't imagine they did Final Cut Pro X with the expectation that movie editors would use iMacs.

I suppose the delay gives me a bit more time to try to save up $5000 to purchase a nicely equipped Mac Pro. Then again, I'm probably not gonna get one of those until I start making a whole lot more money.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
It's hard to believe they won't update the Mac Pro with Thunderbolt (at least) before then. It would seem to be the one Mac model where it's most needed; for graphics/video professionals with high storage/bandwidth requirements.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Good, more time for Apple to work on a redesign iPhone 5.

Off topic, but I will bite....

Anybody think that the next iPhone will be the "iPhone 6" ? Since they will be releasing iOS 6 and it will be the sixth iPhone?

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
I'm curious why there is no dual processor 6-core 3.33 option for the Mac Pro. Maybe heat issues that the current Mac Pro cooling system can't handle?

funknofresh

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Ridiculous how bad they need to update their Pro's!!

How long am I supposed to wait for a decent lineup at apple prices before I just say ****** it and switch to PC.

Seems like they are ditching us Pro's and becoming an appliance company :mad:

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.

How long am I supposed to wait for a decent lineup at apple prices before I just say ****** it and switch to PC.

Can't you read? Apple (and every other company) is waiting on Intel.

Whineboys are worse than Fanboys...

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California

So you are a "pro" are you? How so?

What part of Apple can't deliver new Mac Pros UNTIL Intel provides CPUs are you not understanding ????

L-U-R-C-H

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2007
Des Moines, Iowa

Haha have fun switching to a PC. Is 3-4 months really THAT long of a wait???

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
...but I can't imagine they did Final Cut Pro X with the expectation that movie editors would use iMacs.

I can't imagine they did Final Cut Pro X with the expectation that movie editors would use it at all...

That being said, glad my Mac Pro is still hummin' along with a 19k+ GeekBench. ****er screams and looks to stay near the top of the heap for some time. Now if only I can get that Thunderbolt enabled PCI-e card or GPU...

oiuh151

macrumors 6502
May 18, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey, at least this likens the probability of AMD's 7000 series being used.

longofest

Editor emeritus
Jul 10, 2003
Falls Church, VA
On whose back burner?

Apple's back burner. While it's true that this delay is Intel's fault, I think it's pretty clear that Apple isn't very interested in the Mac Pro market anymore. They've essentially killed or "consumerized" all of their other professional-oriented stuff.

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hey, at least this likens the probability of AMD's 7000 series being used.

Keep dreaming

EDIT: nevermind... you're talking about GPUs, not CPUs. I'm an idiot :eek:

Last edited:

conigs

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
It's hard to believe they won't update the Mac Pro with Thunderbolt (at least) before then. It would seem to be the one Mac model where it's most needed; for graphics/video professionals with high storage/bandwidth requirements.

Actually, aside from the Thunderbolt display compatibility, I'd argue that the MacPro is in least need of Thunderbolt in their lineup. It's the only model with PCIe expandability. I'm working on a MacPro right now that's connected to a 24TB RAID over a SAS connection. No Thunderbolt required.

However, was looking at upgrading my MacPro1,1 in November/December for my home office. Looks like I'll just have to wait a bit longer (and defer that extra tax deduction).

lostngone

macrumors 65816
Aug 11, 2003
Anchorage
eEeek!!

I am having flashbacks from the old PowerPC days when Apple couldn't release a faster computer because they were waiting for faster chips. At least this time around everyone else is waiting as well.

Apple Corps

macrumors 68030
Apr 26, 2003
California
longofest - the post I quoted is about Mac Pros and Apple not updating them - my response is specific to the post, not an all inclusive opinion on Apple and the "pro market".

DreamRaj

macrumors newbie
Apr 11, 2008
With all the iDevices and laptops taking the limelight, I'd kinda forgotten that the Mac Pro is even around.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.