Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Why bother reading the book.
Give MacRumors a few days and they will have posted the whole book.

Absolutely, I'd much rather pay $12.00 again for every movie I own in DVD(~300).

Man alive, placing those discs in that junky PS3 was getting too much to handle. So glad Steve cracked this one.

Now, If Apple has a matching program with the studios...then HELLS yes I'm down!

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
Absolutely, I'd much rather pay $12.00 again for every movie I own in DVD(~300).

Man alive, placing those discs in that junky PS3 was getting too much to handle. So glad Steve cracked this one.

Now, If Apple has a matching program with the studios...then HELLS yes I'm down!

Itunes match for movies. I would pay a premium for that.

z3r0inc

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2009
I can't see how this TV would work. I keep hitting a wall when I'm trying to look ahead :p

I figure that the current :apple:TV is the most practical solution so far, especially since people won't have to replace their TV's to use it. I'm thinking too limited?

CounterCulture

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2011
Los Angeles
im sure Steve also had plans to invent a purely simple, yet sleek, car/hovercraft/jetpack/plane/hoverboard with a teardrop design that automatically syncs and charges wirelessly with your home/cave/floating land mass/cloud and all your apple products inside/on top via Witricity and iCloud as soon as you park/land it in your garage/cave/landing pad/magical starwars type thing all while doing absolutely nothing cause Siri will be talking to you and doing it itself(?). I can see it now. :apple:

Nuvi

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2008
Its already there and its called... Apple TV. You honest to god think Steve Jobs would be leaking information about new Apple products in his own autobiography...

loose-lips-sink-ships230.jpg

EricLA2NYC

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Siri?

I wonder if Siri might be involved? DVRs are great, but searching is annoying. Imagine telling Siri-powered remote, "Siri, tell me what's on Sunday's 60 Minutes." Or "Siri, are any movies starring Brad Pitt airing tonight," "What's on tonight's Glee? What about next week," "What's on HBO tonight?" Searching for something to watch or record would be so much easier.

farmermac

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2009
Iowa
i am a little surprised Apple hasnt developed their AppleTV line into more of a Tivo type box that can be used with cable channels. The interface is excellent on tivo, but to blend internet offerings, existing recordings, etc all together would be really nice if it had an Apple interface on top of it

Friscohoya

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Oaktown
If they can sell a 42" screen for $999 and a useful package of channels for less than $30 a month they have a winner all while including access to photos/music then they have a winner.

liavman

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2009
Through the Isaacson book, Steve Jobs has become the biggest leaker of Apple info. First about Ives and now this..

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
I just got a Panasonic Plasma. I want a 55-60 inch range, and I doubt Apple stores will be stocking things that large, anytime soon.

This might have to start out as a bedroom TV.

Furthermore, if they go LED LCD, we'll be having more display issues! Good grief. ha.

It's fun to think we'll have a future product to complain and praise in the coming years though!

bulldoze

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2011
TV market is tricky.

Lovely shiny TVs are already out, look at Samsungs practically borderless LED sets. Difficult to see how Apple could improve too much on that design.

What they can improve on is the remote and that is where Siri could be a massive USP.

Content though is king. The TV manufacturers don't really try and compete here , but I am sure Apple would be interested in including this. If they can get the content (Sport especially is crucial) or somehow 'pull in' content from the cable and satellite operators and integrate it seamlessly with the Apple UI then they may indeed have cracked the high end TV market.

Just as Jobs said they didn't know how to make a $500 computer that's not a piece of junk, I am sure they do not know how to make a $1000 TV thats not junk either so expect at the very least a $2000 price tag.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Mar 15, 2005
Through the Isaacson book, Steve Jobs has become the biggest leaker of Apple info. First about Ives and now this..

This is why I assumed Steve never had a book or did interviews really himself.

I wonder how this book would be accepted if Steve was still with us? Would he really want all this out while still running Apple?

darster

Suspended
Aug 25, 2011
If they can sell a 42" screen for $999 and a useful package of channels for less than $30 a month they have a winner all while including access to photos/music then they have a winner.

Not really, because a $999 HDTV is really a poorly made tv with sub par HD quality. If I want everything in one unit, the TV itself better be the best in HD quality. Right now, that's still in the $5000 to $7000 price range in the form of the Sharp Elite series, or the now defunct Pioneer Elite series Plasmas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.