Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
I Checked Out All The Current Rugged iPhone Cases...

... including the LifeProof and I stuck with the Otterbox Defender for my new 4S.

The new case is an improvement over my 3GS Defender. The belt clip is more secure and it is included with the case. I also wanted a color choice other than black and Otterbox has some cool colors. The built-in screen protector works just fine and it doesn't affect the quality of the display.

Cell and wireless reception is great. Ditto sound quality when making calls, using the speaker and audio alerts.

LifeProof appears to have some quality control issues and the back-ordered belt clips is a real drag.

My previous Otterbox protected my iPhone for over two years. I don't shower or go swimming with my iPhone so the Defender offers all the protection that I need.

Here is a link for 25% off select cases including the Defender. Free shipping too!

http://www.wireless.att.com/cell-phone-service/cell-phone-sales/promotion/accessories.jsp

I purchased two Defenders at an ATT store that had a buy two cases, get a third free special. The ATT salesperson credited my account for $25 when I e-mailed him the URL and I get to keep the free case. Sweet!

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
My LP case came yesterday. I've not had much of a chance to try it on speakerphone and haven't recorded anything through it yet, but I won't be doing that much anyway. The speakerphone works fine. I'm a first-time owner so I don't have any preconceived notions, but the Defender is gigantic and ugly compared to the LP. A good friend has a Defender (we're both fishing guides part-time hence the need for a good case) and the screen is awful, he can't get it out of his pocket, and he can't stand it after two years with it. The LP case was easy to put on and looks just fine. I wish the door latch swung down a bit more to make it easier to get a cord in, but it's not that bad. Obviously it is very tight and I'm sure no other accessories will fit it except maybe the Radtech which they recommend. I'd love to find an extender cord (male and female ends) for battery charging but I've not been able to find one online that I think would fit it. If anyone with a LP case has found a cable extender that will fit it, please let me know. So far I really like the case in terms of looks, size and protection. We'll see how it does in terms of sound quality over the next few days.

joshuarobi

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2009
Arcata, CA
Love my white LifeProof case. I don't submerge my phone but at work it got wet quite a few times since I'm a fireman.

While off duty I just usually carry it around naked though. I'm looking for an even slimmer case. More like a bumper with a clear cover for the back. Also tempted to try the Vapor Black Ops case.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
The new Defender case appears to be made of a different type of silicone. It doesn't stick to fabric nor attract dust like my previous case. It's "feel" is somewhere between tacky silicone and smooth plastic.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
Gen 2 at Best Buy?

Does Best Buy carry the Gen 2? I see some folks have posted pics of it, but I checked two BBs today and neither of them had it (or even an empty hook for one).

I also can't seem to locate the Gen 2 on Best Buy's website.

Any input would be great.

Thanks,

Zach

Rtr

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
I bout my gen 2 at BB. The package shows a gen 1 but the unit in the box is a gen 2.

p0rkch0p

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
Bought a white LP gen 2 at best buy today after a few days wait. I'm a little underwhelmed for the price of this case. I like it with the exception of the space between the screen protector and screen. It's just enough to drive me nuts. Having to press it and feel it give a little just isn't gonna work for me. Also, this small space makes for a tap sound when using my phone. A bit nitpicky maybe but for $80 the screen should at least fit flush. Gonna return it and get a Otterbox which does not have this issue and still provide great protection. Downside is its a bit more bulky but that I can live with. Fix the screen protector issue and this will be an outstanding case.

vietalogy

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2006
Bought a white LP gen 2 at best buy today after a few days wait. I'm a little underwhelmed for the price of this case. I like it with the exception of the space between the screen protector and screen. It's just enough to drive me nuts. Having to press it and feel it give a little just isn't gonna work for me. Also, this small space makes for a tap sound when using my phone. A bit nitpicky maybe but for $80 the screen should at least fit flush. Gonna return it and get a Otterbox which does not have this issue and still provide great protection. Downside is its a bit more bulky but that I can live with. Fix the screen protector issue and this will be an outstanding case.

Should have used the 20% off coupon.

maddog91

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
My case works perfecct. The buttons are hard to push. My only complaint. But i think ill keep the case. You never know, I go to the keys a lot so this will prob come into great use. Same if I know I'm going somewhere dangerous for the phone.

davidra

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011

Supposedly over time (hopefully within 30 days) the cover stretches and lies directly on the screen. All of these loosen (which is why the screen covers on the older Defenders) end up being stretched out of shape and are too loose). We shall see. I don't find it that much of a problem, given the small size of the case. All cases are trade-offs.

zachlegomaniac

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2008
I bout my gen 2 at BB. The package shows a gen 1 but the unit in the box is a gen 2.

Thank you. The boxes showed the Gen 1, and I've heard they tweaked a few problems with the Gen 2 (as mentioned here).

Zach

dpruitt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
E-mailed Support

Hey guys,

I thought I would add my 2 cents as I just found this thread from a Google search. My Lifeproof (Gen 1) came in the mail yesterday. The web site makes this thing look great! I was really excited to try it out.

My first impression as I opened the box was the packaging. It's brilliant! However, the box didn't say "for the iPhone 4S". I carefully opened the box and then saw the case. Ohh. The front of the screen has this weird, cheap plastic cracking sound as you touch it. Ok, so maybe it's me and will be nice when I get the phone into it. No instructions were in the box, I had to go to their web site to watch the video.

Video 1 -- the unboxing. Okay, that was easy. Video 2 -- the water test. Submerge your case underwater for 1 HOUR!?! Crap, I wanted to get this thing on my phone. I did a 20 minute test instead :)

So I install the phone in the case, and it hit me. Like a train. What is the space between the screen and the screen protector? This does't seem right. I started typing, and I had to press harder. Also I heard the "keyboard click" sound. I thought I turned this off -- well, it turns out, it's the sound of the screen protector as it hits the glass. Wow.

Less than 24 hours later, I sent an e-mail to support asking if this can be resolved and if it can not, I would like to know the return policy (I could not find it on their web site).

To me, this is a big deal. The screen should be flush inside the case. I have not tried some of the other things discussed in this thread -- speaker phone, light sensor (although when I installed it, and turned on the phone I noticed the brightness was lower).

I am crossing my fingers and hoping for some salvation. In the mean time, I put it back in its box and put my 4S back into its Mophie case.

I will let you guys know what happens.

fotomatt1

macrumors regular
Dec 31, 2007
Should have used the 20% off coupon.

Does the 20% coupon work if it's the only thing you're buying? I have the coupon and I'm unclear on weather or not yo have to be buying a new phone at the same time to be eligible for the 20% on accessories.

BrianSoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
Houston, TX
Does the 20% coupon work if it's the only thing you're buying? I have the coupon and I'm unclear on weather or not yo have to be buying a new phone at the same time to be eligible for the 20% on accessories.

It absolutely works, I picked up a white LP case at BB yesterday and that was the only thing I purchased.

maliu

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
If you put it on and use it the screen will get better. Some cases require break in time. I've had 3 cases, different colors and one was perfect out of the box, the other two required break in. Squish the air out against your thigh after closing the charge door. Another trick I used was to place a weight on the screen at night while I charged the phone. Once it flattens I hardly notice the screen protector is there. Don't give up yet.

Hey guys,

I thought I would add my 2 cents as I just found this thread from a Google search. My Lifeproof (Gen 1) came in the mail yesterday. The web site makes this thing look great! I was really excited to try it out.

My first impression as I opened the box was the packaging. It's brilliant! However, the box didn't say "for the iPhone 4S". I carefully opened the box and then saw the case. Ohh. The front of the screen has this weird, cheap plastic cracking sound as you touch it. Ok, so maybe it's me and will be nice when I get the phone into it. No instructions were in the box, I had to go to their web site to watch the video.

Video 1 -- the unboxing. Okay, that was easy. Video 2 -- the water test. Submerge your case underwater for 1 HOUR!?! Crap, I wanted to get this thing on my phone. I did a 20 minute test instead :)

So I install the phone in the case, and it hit me. Like a train. What is the space between the screen and the screen protector? This does't seem right. I started typing, and I had to press harder. Also I heard the "keyboard click" sound. I thought I turned this off -- well, it turns out, it's the sound of the screen protector as it hits the glass. Wow.

Less than 24 hours later, I sent an e-mail to support asking if this can be resolved and if it can not, I would like to know the return policy (I could not find it on their web site).

To me, this is a big deal. The screen should be flush inside the case. I have not tried some of the other things discussed in this thread -- speaker phone, light sensor (although when I installed it, and turned on the phone I noticed the brightness was lower).

I am crossing my fingers and hoping for some salvation. In the mean time, I put it back in its box and put my 4S back into its Mophie case.

I will let you guys know what happens.

BrianSoCal

macrumors 6502a
Oct 16, 2011
Houston, TX
If you put it on and use it the screen will get better. Some cases require break in time. I've had 3 cases, different colors and one was perfect out of the box, the other two required break in. Squish the air out against your thigh after closing the charge door. Another trick I used was to place a weight on the screen at night while I charged the phone. Once it flattens I hardly notice the screen protector is there. Don't give up yet.

Sounds like the Gen 2 cases have an improved screen as mine doesn't have a gap in the center but there is some air pockets in the corners. I'm not going to give up on it yet, but I'm hoping the corners flatten out.

Mojo1

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2011
The Defender screen protector is awesome on the new 4S cases.

The screen protector on my 3GS case would look "greasy" under the plastic. Otterbox actually suggested in its FAQ that users use some "nose grease" to get rid of the greasy look. It's counter-intuitive, but it actually worked pretty well. I later tried cleaning the case with RadTech OmniCleanz and that took care of the problem.

The new screen protector does not add artifacts to the display. It doesn't degrade the display either. And since it sits right on top of the screen it doesn't give the impression that it requires extra pressure when touching the display.

dpruitt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for the information. I have looked far and wide for something of the same size to put weight on the front. May I ask, what the heck did you use?

Greenone

macrumors 6502
Sep 19, 2005
What about the funky screw over the headphone...

...jack?

What I'd like to know is what is one to do when she accidentally loses that teeny tiny screw? Or, that little adapter thing: are we supposed to keep that hanging out all the time? I ordered the iphone 4s party for its ipod functions - and I have to use the headphone jack each time I want to use it to listen to music in the car. Couldn't they have just had the iphone jack be covered with a rubber port that can be opened? I don't get that more than I don't get the rest of these comments! :eek:

dpruitt

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
As an update, it's been 5 days since I contacted support. I have yet to get a reply.

I went to BB and tried the Gen 2 case, but it isn't any better. The space between the screen and screen protector hasn't gotten any better. Of course, there is no way to return it to Lifeproof. :( Lesson learned.

maddog91

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
Lifeproof saved my phone 2 times today from water..I ran from my car to the house and the club while it was pouring rain,and i had to text.then when the garage opened up water somehow got stuck between the panels and it drenched me,phone in hand...I hate how the case disguises the phones beauty but its already paid for itself..I just need to put a screen film so then i can find a good bumper to switch from this case to bumper.

scott99

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2007
Supposedly over time (hopefully within 30 days) the cover stretches and lies directly on the screen. All of these loosen (which is why the screen covers on the older Defenders) end up being stretched out of shape and are too loose). We shall see. I don't find it that much of a problem, given the small size of the case. All cases are trade-offs.

I have to agree with this. After a while, the screen almost becomes one with the iphone's screen, and you can barely feel there is something between the glass. That part of the case is excellent.

I'm hoping Gen 2 is better quality than Gen 1. I loved my LP, but the rubber on the seam started to tear away from the case, and the tear started getting bigger and bigger until it tore off. I'm talking about the rubber that runs around the outside of the frontside of the case. Mine tore on the righthand side. Since that happened, the screen and rubber is at the same level height, and causing more screen seperation oil marks, which drive me crazy.

I've had no issues otherwise. People hear me fine, but the sound quality of playing music is so much lower than normal, you have to open the lower hatch to hear things better. My nephew's LP's hatch cracked, so it won't stay closed, so I don't know if these cases are as strong as claimed.

coastalmama

macrumors newbie
Nov 9, 2011
Think I am going to get one of these. My BIL has one so I actually got to feel out the screen and everything versus buying sight unseen. Guess there's quality control issues from batch to batch though, so hoping to buy before my iPhone 4s gets here to test out potential problems. While I like the looks and price point of the Otterbox Defender for 4s much more, my 2 year old has taken on a fascination with the toilet (those of you without kids consider yourselves lucky! ha!) and while I could replace my old Xperia X10, no way can I replace a 4s!

Minarets

macrumors 6502a
Oct 28, 2011
The screen separation really does get better? It's what is holding me back from that case.

wraunch

macrumors newbie
Dec 2, 2011
For anyone interested I am selling my Lifeproof case for $50+ shipping. Only used it for a few weeks. Decided to change to a simple bumper wrap. Message me for details.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.