Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zipper1022

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
ive had my phone for about 3 months and its been awesome, i keep it in a agent 18 case and i have a skinsheilds cover ont he screen. I take good care of it and its onlybeen dropped once or twice from about 1 foot form the ground.

the other day someone showed me how to turn my keyboard click off so i did and for some reason it turned off basically all the sounds on my phone. ther was no sound when i unlocked it and no sound when i shot photos. then i realized that when i switch from regular mode to silent mode it doesnt vibrate like it used to...

has anyone had this problem? should i bring it back to apple?

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
If you check settings and find that vibrate is turned on, try restarting, if that doesn't work try doing a restore, finally if that doesn't work take it to your local Apple store or call Apple. My friend had an issue where his vibrate stopped working a few months in. Apple had him restore and when it still wasn't working they replaced his phone.

zipper1022

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 13, 2006
Long Island, NY/ Boston, MA
ahhhh I checked the settings and I restsrted the phone like 3 times. I would restore buy im running 1.1.3 jailbrkoen and don't want to try and hack 1.1.4 from what I read its really hard...

NeoMayhem

macrumors 6502a
Aug 22, 2003
ahhhh I checked the settings and I restsrted the phone like 3 times. I would restore buy im running 1.1.3 jailbrkoen and don't want to try and hack 1.1.4 from what I read its really hard...

Jailbraking/Unlocking 1.1.4 is the easiest yet. You can use iLiberty or Pwnage and be done in a few minutes.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
do alot of apps still work on it?

I never had jailbroken before 1.1.4, but a lot of apps have been made compatible for 1.1.4. Not to mention that if you really use vibrate and need it, you are going to have to restore your iPhone before taking it to Apple anyway. From my POV, it seems like you either settle for no vibrate or restore and possibly take to Apple if needed.

sigma8

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2005
I know this is an old thread, but I just had this problem as well, and when I googled it, it was the first hit...AND I seem to have stumbled on a wacky solution in my case, so I wanted to post it in case other googlers end up here.

My iPhone (original) was vibrating fine last night. Earlier today I reset it due to mysteriously missing some calls (not even showing up under missed calls). I'm not sure if that was related, but suddenly I noticed the vibration functionality was not working at all.

I tried powering it down, toggling the vibration configuration in the settings, resetting, back to toggling settings, and repeated these things a good 2-3 times to no avail.

Then, during the final attempt, after allowing my iPhone to be "off" for 10+ minutes, I was back in settings, and noticed something like a single wavelength of a vibration. Almost imperceptible. It would not repeat.

I gave the iPhone a vigorous shaking in the air, and VOILA fixed! It was the weirdest thing, but I guess the vibration mechanism had somehow become stuck.

Conson

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2011
Thanks!

I know this is an old thread, but I just had this problem as well, and when I googled it, it was the first hit...AND I seem to have stumbled on a wacky solution in my case, so I wanted to post it in case other googlers end up here.

My iPhone (original) was vibrating fine last night. Earlier today I reset it due to mysteriously missing some calls (not even showing up under missed calls). I'm not sure if that was related, but suddenly I noticed the vibration functionality was not working at all.

I tried powering it down, toggling the vibration configuration in the settings, resetting, back to toggling settings, and repeated these things a good 2-3 times to no avail.

Then, during the final attempt, after allowing my iPhone to be "off" for 10+ minutes, I was back in settings, and noticed something like a single wavelength of a vibration. Almost imperceptible. It would not repeat.

I gave the iPhone a vigorous shaking in the air, and VOILA fixed! It was the weirdest thing, but I guess the vibration mechanism had somehow become stuck.

Hey dude!THANKS ALOT!!!i did what u did and the same things happen!it work!i especially created a account just to thank you !your great man!:)

RAILWAY1973

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2011
arbroath,scotland
shakey shakey

my iphone 3gs was not vibrating..checked all the settings but no avail... i powered off phone and shook it in the air and powered on..hey presto!!! vibrating again like new!!! superb!!

goodie

macrumors newbie
Jan 25, 2012
Thanks for the info

It took two tries and I had to shake both horizontally and vertically, but I actually heard the vibration motor free itself. Thanks so much for the tip! My phone is almost 2 years old, so no Apple support without a fee. I refuse to pay for someone to tell me to reset and restore when I have already done that. And I doubt they would have ever told me to just shake it. So MANY thanks!!!:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.