Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

p3gamer

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2008
Is this setup possible - Mini + TB display + MBP?

I have a current Mini and will be getting a MacBook Pro soon. Would I be able to daisy chain the Mini, a Thunderbolt display, and a MacBook Pro?
What about two Thunderbolt displays? How would I toggle the monitor(s) between which machine I am using?

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
Just received my TBD and its very nice. However my fan on my MBA is running a lot faster then the normal 2k rpm. It's roughly at 4k rpm. Hopefully it settles down.

Shadylane315

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2006
Hey guys,

I'm not able to control my screens brightness anymore...I was able to do this when I first got the display but now it won't even show up in the display bar.

Any ideas?

P.S. I have the 27 inch thunderbolt

Sunyata7

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Anyone have annoying problems when unplugging their laptop, and other things? Sometimes when I wake up in the morning and my computer has been asleep (or if I close my laptop), when I open it again it will not boot either screen up. I have to do a hard shut-down on my MacBook Pro and lose any unsaved data.

Then also sometimes, I'll unplug my MacBook Pro to carry it into the living room and use it there, and the screen won't "snap back" to primary and instead just go black. If I have something on screen it will make noises like I'm interacting with it, but I won't be able to see anything and the brightness controls don't change that.

Thinking about returning this monitor. Not sure. Will updating the firmware void it?

Sunyata7

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Gotta say - pretty disappointed with the contrast. After dropping $1000 on this I would have expected much deeper blacks. While watching movies with dark scenes, it's just a total bummer.

Oh well. I got this for work anyway.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
Anyone have annoying problems when unplugging their laptop, and other things? Sometimes when I wake up in the morning and my computer has been asleep (or if I close my laptop), when I open it again it will not boot either screen up. I have to do a hard shut-down on my MacBook Pro and lose any unsaved data.

Then also sometimes, I'll unplug my MacBook Pro to carry it into the living room and use it there, and the screen won't "snap back" to primary and instead just go black. If I have something on screen it will make noises like I'm interacting with it, but I won't be able to see anything and the brightness controls don't change that.

Thinking about returning this monitor. Not sure. Will updating the firmware void it?

Known issues. I actually had a thread about it but nobody replied:

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1243897/

Seems to be confusion with the Thunderbolt communicator - kind of like eSATA, where it doesn't like to be hot swapped with the screen closed.

Sunyata7

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
SO many annoying problems with this display. I expected way, way better from Apple. I just came back to my computer and now the sound is playing out of my (closed) laptop and the external keyboard isn't working. Yay!

Edit: An hour later, after restarting my computer, I come back and both the laptop screen and external display are just showing a "loading" wheel for a good 5 minutes before I do a hard shutdown and restart.

I'll keep it for another week or two then I'm taking it back.

Last edited:

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
SO many annoying problems with this display. I expected way, way better from Apple. I just came back to my computer and now the sound is playing out of my (closed) laptop and the external keyboard isn't working. Yay!

Edit: An hour later, after restarting my computer, I come back and both the laptop screen and external display are just showing a "loading" wheel for a good 5 minutes before I do a hard shutdown and restart.

I'll keep it for another week or two then I'm taking it back.

It's clear that the whole "operate while closed" is one of those unexpected features that Apple didn't really test fully. I should add that in my case, the setup works perfectly fine if the laptop is open and I'm doing dual monitor.

What I haven't tried is to see whether the same behavior happens with my Air, which is running Lion, to see if it's a Snow Leopard-specific deal.

Apple Expert

macrumors 65816
Jan 31, 2010
I love my TBD! However I'm not sure if I will be keeping it. With this monitor the fan is always running loud. I've done the PRAM rest and smc reset. Still same result. When my MBA is not hooked up the TBD, my MBA is very cool and silent. I guess I will be returning it and waiting for next years display or revised MBP that will hopefully power it a lot easier than my MBA. :(

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
my iMac and thunderbolt display

Attachments

• IMG_0107.jpg
    IMG_0107.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 2,262
  • IMG_0108.jpg
    IMG_0108.jpg
    79.7 KB · Views: 1,565

Dyspneic

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2011
Anyone else use a TV?

I use my 46" LED samsung.....

Attachments

• IMAG0289.jpg
    IMAG0289.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 989

dubaimac

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2009
Thank you for the comments, I was sick of waiting for a new Mac pro so went for the top end iMac. I also got the thunderbolt display and a Pegasus 12tb. I looked around for a mount having had ergotron arms before. The mount is amazing solid aluminum made by monitors in motion called the Boa II. They also make their own mount, so no need for the VESA kit. I find it better being higher I can adjust the height. But I setit like this as its better for my neck. I have put the rad tech matte screen protector and filter on the TB display. Can't decide if I prefer it yet.

revelated

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
A college student with over $4,000 in Apple gear.

Hmmm. Guess those Pell grants are giving out more than they usedta.

Sunyata7

macrumors newbie
May 19, 2011
Returning mine soon. Gonna check out the Dell U2711. Seems like the picture quality is premium, along with the antiglare, far superior contrast ratio, much better refresh rate (major problem with this display imo), and tons of hookups. Only worried about the reviews that say text can appear fuzzy.

Last edited:

mohsy90

macrumors 65816
Feb 4, 2011
New York
I can't help but ask... how many people are actually using the "Thunderbolt" feature on these displays? I wanted to purchase this display, but after doing some research i've noticed that this upgrade was absolutely pointless.
Apple is marketing this display solely for the thunderbolt feature, which i doubt 99% of us are even using, considering that thunderbolt peripherals are ridiculously expensive. Cheapest one is a 1TB external drive for $400.

My suggestion, save yourself $150 and get the older Apple Cinema 27". Overall im disappointed with Apple's upgrade. Thunderbolt is not compatible with older non-thunderbolt macs, still only 3 USB ports and still no audio output for headphones or speakers.

Hopefully i didnt upset anyone, unfortunately i really have to decide why i need a display before i drop $1000. Either way, i love the setups and cant help but be jealous at those of you that got two of this hooked up.

CWallace

macrumors G5
Aug 17, 2007
Seattle, WA
I can't help but ask... how many people are actually using the "Thunderbolt" feature on these displays?

I am, but only to connect it to my iMac, allowing me to use the integrated cable to power my MBP 13" (and use it as an external monitor by disconnecting the iMac).

I am looking forward to Seagate brining out their FreeAgent Thunderbolt they showed at a recent trade show.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.