Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cagle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009
While idly tapping the back of my iPhone 4S I noticed a rattle sound the closer I tapped to the camera lens (or lense? I never know!). It's mentioned in other forums that it might relate to the camera lens or the accelerometer but those cases complained of it rattling when shook, my rattle only happens when the back is tapped. The rest of the back produces a solid noise when tapped.

Worth taking back or complete OCD?

Ayman250

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2011
USA
While idly tapping the back of my iPhone 4S I noticed a rattle sound the closer I tapped to the camera lens (or lense? I never know!). It's mentioned in other forums that it might relate to the camera lens or the accelerometer but those cases complained of it rattling when shook, my rattle only happens when the back is tapped. The rest of the back produces a solid noise when tapped.

Worth taking back or complete OCD?

I know i have the same issue it drives me crazy

powerbuddy

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2006
Edward-Norton-Closing-Laptop.gif

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
If it were me, I'd let it go for now. Even if you take it to an Apple Store they won't have replacements available for you.

In a month or so, if it's still bothering you, you could take it to a Genius Bar and have them look at it.

Cagle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 10, 2009

wow, I had to search on the meaning of your gif and now i'm thoroughly depressed!

----------

If it were me, I'd let it go for now. Even if you take it to an Apple Store they won't have replacements available for you.

In a month or so, if it's still bothering you, you could take it to a Genius Bar and have them look at it.

I just tested my wife's iPhone 4 and it produces a rattle on every part of the back so i'm gonna be thankful for my isolated problem area - ironically, while writing this post, I almost burnt my iPhone resting a cig on it :eek:

verwon

macrumors 68030
Jul 26, 2011
Seattle
wow, I had to search on the meaning of your gif and now i'm thoroughly depressed!

----------

I just tested my wife's iPhone 4 and it produces a rattle on every part of the back so i'm gonna be thankful for my isolated problem area - ironically, while writing this post, I almost burnt my iPhone resting a cig on it :eek:

Dude, that's a damn expensive ashtray!

uiop.

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2008
Grand Rapids, MI
Same here. I think its the vibrator. When you tap on the phone with your fingers, you'll notice some feedback from the vibrator (the phone will ever so slightly vibrate with your tapping). So I think the new oscillator vibrator mechanism is easily moved around inside.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.