Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Granitel

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 27, 2011
After googling, did I list the proper sequence of steps below for changing an untethered jailbroken iPhone 3G stuck in recovery mode from OS 4.2.1 down to OS 3.1.3 on Windows XP?

After hours of watching videos & searching for tutorials, I've come up with a proposed scenario (see below) but I've seen enough bricked stories to know the exact tools and sequence depend greatly on the phone, the current iOS, the desired iOS, and the PC operating system.

The story started last August, when I bought a jailbroken iPhone 3G for my kid who has been using it for months on T-Mobile for voice with WiFi for data.

One problem it has always had is that there are no decent applications for video on the OS 4.2.1; but plenty of applications work on OS 3.1.3.
* What video recorder application works on the iPhone 3G iOS 4.2.1?

However, more importantly, today it locked up in "recovery mode" and I'm not sure what to do:
* How to resolve locked up jailbroken iPhone stuck in "recovery mode" (see pictures)

One option, I guess, is to start from scratch and learn the process of jailbreaking an iPhone 3G from iOS 4.2.1 down to iOS 3.1.3.

Googling, I realize that a LOT depends on the versions and the sequence so may I ask if this is the correct process to downgrade from a jailbroken 4.2.1 to a jailbroken 3.1.3 for the iPhone 3G?

1. Back up address book, pictures, videos, songs, etc. using iTunes?
  2. Restore to the current iOS (i.e., iOS 5.0) using iTunes?
  3. Download the iOS 3.1.3 firmware?
  4. Restore back to the iOS 3.1.3 firmware somehow?
  5. Jailbreak at the IOS 3.1.3 firmeware level?

attachment.php

Attachments

• stuck_iphone.gif
    stuck_iphone.gif
    156.8 KB · Views: 4,638
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.