Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iNeko

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2007
England
I have an odd issue with my Apple TV. I have an Airport Express connected to my router (to give me an N network) with the ATV connected to the AE. In my router config, my AE always shows the same IP address as the ATV and vice versa.

Both devices work fine (well, sometimes the AppleTV will just cut to the menu when playing movies) but no matter what I do, they share the same IP. The AE is set to be 192.168.1.200 and the ATV 192.168.1.66, which they both report as, but in the router settings they'll both be 192.168.1.66 (as Sams-AppleTV-1/Sams-AppleTV-2). Even set to DHCP addressing they'll share the same one... Very odd.

Has anyone else come across this issue, or is it something I can ignore?

iNeko

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2007
England
Sorry, I wasn't too clear on that! The Apple TV is set to 192.168.1.66 as a static IP and the Airport Express is set as 192.168.1.200 (also static). :eek:

adbe

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2008
I have an odd issue with my Apple TV. I have an Airport Express connected to my router (to give me an N network) with the ATV connected to the AE. In my router config, my AE always shows the same IP address as the ATV and vice versa.

Both devices work fine (well, sometimes the AppleTV will just cut to the menu when playing movies) but no matter what I do, they share the same IP. The AE is set to be 192.168.1.200 and the ATV 192.168.1.66, which they both report as, but in the router settings they'll both be 192.168.1.66 (as Sams-AppleTV-1/Sams-AppleTV-2). Even set to DHCP addressing they'll share the same one... Very odd.

Has anyone else come across this issue, or is it something I can ignore?

They arent sharing the same IP so you can rest easy on that front. The name is odd, but not an issue. Somehow your router has it in mind that both devices are named Sams-AppleTV. Most likely you misnamed your AE. It isnt hurting anything, it just makes it hard to find things.

iNeko

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 13, 2007
England
That's what I'm not understanding. The devices themselves are showing the right IPs, but the router isn't. The router has MAC address device listings and mixes up the ATV and the Airport, I don't think it's anything to do with how I've named them, just not sure what's going on!

davidviking

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2013
Very similar issue

I have an Airport Express (2nd Generation) connected to a Sonos S5 which is connected to a Technicolor TG670 router via ethernet and an Apple TV connected wirelessly to the Technicolor TG670 wireless router.

Both the Apple TV and the Airport Express Base Station get the IP address: 192.168.1.66.

I think this has been the cause of some drop-outs when switching from using the SONOS and Apple TV. To fix it I switched off the Technicolor router and switched on again. However they still get the same address - 192.168.1.66

Why would this be?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.