Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

dag_kittlaus_siri-150x150.jpg

AllThingsD reports that Siri co-founder Dag Kittlaus has left his position at Apple, moving on following the rebirth of the voice-powered personal assistant as a key feature of the iPhone 4S.
There were several reasons for the departure, which was amicable and has been planned for a while, sources said. They included Kittlaus' family being in Chicago, a desire to take time off and an interest in brainstorming new entrepreneurial ideas.
The report claims that Kittlaus left Apple just after the iPhone 4S launch but that his departure is not indicative of a mass exodus of the Siri team, as other key former Siri executives are remaining at Apple.

Article Link: Siri Co-Founder Dag Kittlaus Leaves Apple

soco

macrumors 68030
Dec 14, 2009
Yardley, PA
Hm, stayed around for the payoff and to make sure things went as planned, then out to work on what's next?

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Considering Apple bought Siri for 800,000,000 this guy can probably go do about anything he wants...

brookshanes

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2011
Midwest
This is what

Hm, stayed around for the payoff and to make sure things went as planned, then out to work on what's next?

Thankfully his family means something to him. He should spend time with them because he probably never saw them when he was co-founding and selling Siri.

//EDIT: Wow, -2 for me saying he should be with his own family???

//EDIT part deux: Thanks for the upticks! Some family men and women out there after all!

Last edited:

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
Siri doesn't seem to understand who Dag Kittlaus is so I guess out of sight, out of mind!
:p

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
Ah, wrong acquisition. Sorry.

Techcrunch reported 200,000,000+ not 800,000,000

no worries - I find it difficult to see much difference between either of those numbers!

Unless you're buying small countries, then maybe the extra cash would be useful:D

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Thankfully his family means something to him. He should spend time with them because he probably never saw them when he was co-founding and selling Siri.

//EDIT: Wow, -2 for me saying he should be with his own family???
Sensible commentary is not popular in this forum. You're lucky that a few munificent souls (including me) gave you plusses.

Welcome to MacRumors!

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Ehh, people like this enjoy the start-up phase. He will prob take some time off, start something else, rinse and repeat.

My understanding was that working at Apple had the feel of a perpetual startup company.

CFreymarc

Suspended
Sep 4, 2009

Yes very well planned. He is riding the wave of the guy that made voice recognition workable after almost forty years of attempts. My guess is he'll get picked up by a competitor, make a non-infringing voice rec technology with the core engineers he worked with and double-dip to cash in. Have a good vacation first!

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
This is a quite common post-acquisition occurrence for incoming executives. They are required to remain for a period in order to obtain some payoff and once they obtain it, they move on to the next venture they want to start.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.