Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside today's quiet MacBook Pro refresh, Apple has also updated its iPad 2 Smart Cover offerings, perhaps most notably discontinuing the orange polyurethane cover and replacing it with a new dark gray cover.

dark_gray_smart_cover.jpg

New dark gray Smart Cover

Other changes include:

- Interior color now matches exterior color. The interior side of the Smart Cover facing the iPad screen had previously been a uniform gray color on all models with the exception of the (PRODUCT) RED version. All Smart Covers are now a consistent color inside and out.

tan_smart_cover_inside.jpg

Smart Cover showing tan color on outside and inside

- More vibrant colors for polyurethane covers. Aside from the replacement of the orange cover with a dark gray one, sources indicate that the colors on the polyurethane models are now more vibrant. Polyurethane Smart Covers come in blue, green, pink, light gray, and dark gray.

- Color adjustment on navy leather cover. Apple offer five different leather Smart Covers, and sources reports that Apple has slightly tweaked the color on the navy version to make it "more navy" than the original version. All other colors (tan, black, cream, and red) remain unchanged.

Pricing on the Smart Covers remains the same, with polyurethane covers coming in at $39.00 and leather covers priced at $69.00. While Apple's store pages have been updated with the new colors, the company's Smart Cover page does not yet reflect the changes.

Article Link: Apple Updates iPad 2 Smart Cover Offerings with Color Tweaks

Spanky Deluxe

macrumors demi-god
Mar 17, 2005
London, UK
I hope they've improved the quality of the leather covers. When we bought our iPads my fiancée got a leather red one. She spilt a tiny bit of water on the cover that same day and she rubbed it off with a soft white towel - result, a red stained towel and a lighter patch on the cover. Apple replaced it the next day with a pink polyurethane one and we've had no complaints with that one.

decimortis

macrumors 6502a
Aug 28, 2007
Toronto
I hope they've improved the quality of the leather covers. When we bought our iPads my fiancée got a leather red one. She spilt a tiny bit of water on the cover that same day and she rubbed it off with a soft white towel - result, a red stained towel and a lighter patch on the cover. Apple replaced it the next day with a pink polyurethane one and we've had no complaints with that one.

Wait, Apple replaced the more expensive cover with a less expensive cover and you have no complaints?

D.

HarryKeogh

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
I'd prefer they just made it practical.

As it is, it doesn't protect the iPad in case of a fall, not sturdy enough to be used as a stand, comes off if tossed in a back pack, doesn't magnetically stick to the back of the device so unless you're holding it it hangs.

Not a fan. The iPad case they made for the first iPad was much, much better (aside from the color options and that it got marked up so easily).

this is funah

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2005
Berlin, Germany
wha? i wanted to get a fresh new orange one! ... guess ill have to look for one at the stores soon.

----------

Wait, Apple replaced the more expensive cover with a less expensive cover and you have no complaints?

D.

they did no such thing... they replaced the orange ($39) with the dark grey ($39)

^ ima dummy

Last edited:

Brandon083

macrumors member
Jun 18, 2010
Austin, TX
"Interior color now matches exterior color. The interior side of the Smart Cover facing the iPad screen had previously been a uniform gray color on all models. Smart Covers are now a consistent color inside and out."

My navy blue leather one already has this (bought on launch day)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
OOOOOHHH MYYYYYY GOOODDD!!!!!!!!!

:eek:

Revolutionary!

In other news, Ann Taylor released their new winter line today. :D (That's roughly equivalent to this "announcement" about new colors for iPad covers).

10/24/10 is proving to be Apple's release date for minor tweaks. The holiday line is now set. It looks like we won't be seeing the "15 inch Air" until next year at the earliest.

macachia

macrumors 6502
Sep 25, 2007
well my red ipad2 smart cover has always had a red interior, so it's nothing new (perhaps I misunderstood?)

cw2011

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2011
"Interior color now matches exterior color. The interior side of the Smart Cover facing the iPad screen had previously been a uniform gray color on all models. Smart Covers are now a consistent color inside and out."

My navy blue leather one already has this (bought on launch day)

Yeah, the article is incorrect. The leather covers have always had matching interiors.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
It's not just this, though... take a look at the bar between the magnets- it is now color matched and appears to be covered in material. It simply used to be the same plain aluminum as the magnets, did it not? Perhaps the aluminum bar is simply behind the iPads in the images, though. On second thought, I'm pretty sure this is the case. Nevermind.

M-O

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2011
They don't protect anything. The back of the iPad will always get scratched.

this is possible, but i wouldn't know because i never look at the back of my iPad. the front looks great however, thanks to the smart cover.

jeremiah239

macrumors 6502a
Nov 1, 2007
239 Area, FL
Nooooooo why did they get rid of the orange!? I mean I have an orange one already but I would like to be able to buy a new one if something were to happen to this one. :(

DeaconGTG

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2011
Someone at my local Apple Store must have discovered time travel, because my red Smart Cover has always had the same color on the inside and out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.