Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is making plans to roll out a new pilot program that will allow customers to pickup orders placed through the company's online store at one of their local retail stores. The program, reportedly known as Sherwood, will include any product available through the online store, including custom-configured Macs, engraved and gift-wrapped products, and the full slate of third-party accessories.

easypay_sherwood.jpg

Apple's retail store EasyPay system with Sherwood offerings

Customers placing online orders will be offered the ability to select an Apple retail store for pickup, with standard configurations and accessories generally being available on a same-day basis as store stocks allow. Other items may take a few days to be delivered to the store.

In-store pickup of items purchased online will reportedly require proof of purchase and an ID, with one major benefit of the program being the ability to designate one additional person to be eligible to pick up the order. One of our sources also notes that the program offers the benefit of being able to avoid home delivery of holiday gifts that might otherwise reveal the nature of the gift during the upcoming holiday period.

With the rollout of Sherwood, Apple retail stores will also begin accepting returns of eligible online orders, streamlining the return process so that customers do not necessarily have to deal with return shipping issues.

Apple already offers some integration of online shopping and its retail stores, offering users the ability to reserve products from available retail store stock. The company has also expanded that program during certain busy holiday shopping times to include gift wrapping of standard-configuration Mac and iPod products.

The Sherwood pilot program will reportedly be initially available only through select retail stores, with company planning to expand it across the retail store chain in the future.

Article Link: Apple Retail Stores to Offer In-Store Pickup of Online Orders

Last edited:

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
This makes sense and I'm a bit surprised they didn't offer this already. It is also good for pre-orders of system updates, such as the MacBook Air. I "pre-ordered" one on release day but then canceled it when it became available in the store the next day (I wasn't sure whether my configuration would be available). This would avoid that hassle.

Frosticus

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2010
Bristol, UK
I like the sound of this - much more convenient for me to collect items delivered to the store than wait in for a delivery at home.

Rudy69

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2009
About time they do this, I remember a few years ago asking the store if they could order computers with custom configs and they couldn't :( This way I can just order for pick up myself :)

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
Fantastic.

I'm never home during normal delivery hours and it's a pain to have to wait for the "we missed you" tag and then try and schedule my day to get back to the FedEx building before THEY close.

As a result, I've just shipped everything to my mom for the last decade.

It'll be great to be able to rely on Apple instead of my mom since this really isn't her problem and she shouldn't have to do me this favor.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
Anything that cuts down on the waiting for UPS/FedEX threads is most welcome.

Michael73

macrumors 65816
Feb 27, 2007
I know many online items offer free shipping but for those that don't, I wonder if by sending it to the store we'll avoid S/H changes?

Now that would be nice! :D

shaolindave

macrumors member
Jul 19, 2006
um...

this isn't new. Apple's been doing this for years, it gives you the option at online checkout. My family and I pick up or Macs at the local apple store all the time so we don't have to worry about FedEx leaving it on our porch to get stolen.

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
So I bet we still won't be able to actually get the product in the store until we've been subjected to an associate trying to upsell us on stuff. I don't think this is about being able to make things convenient for the customer, they will discontinue free shipping to the home, and you only get free shipping to a store, where you won't be allowed to pick up your item until you get the hard sell.

Heavenly

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2009
Northwestern University
this isn't new. Apple's been doing this for years, it gives you the option at online checkout. My family and I pick up or Macs at the local apple store all the time so we don't have to worry about FedEx leaving it on our porch to get stolen.
FedEx requires someone to be home for a signature when you order a Mac from Apple and they never had the store pickup option when I ordered mine.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
Good move. I'm surprised they didn't do this earlier as this service has been available from other companies for a long time.

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK

The service has never been available in any stores that I've dealt with, particularly in the last 3 years.

Jayste4

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
Is this a move towards having to pay for shipping unless it's shipped to the store?

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
good. Yesterday I had to wait in line just to go into the Apple Store Century City, CA because they were at capacity. I just needed to walk in to buy a cable but had to wait in line for 20 minutes.

No other store in the mall had a line to get in, especially the Microsoft Store or the Sony Store!! LOL

:apple:

quinn222

macrumors member
Mar 26, 2011
I'm Really happy about this. I get a professional discount through NAPP but only if I order online. I'll finally be able to take advantage of both the discount and the convenience of picking up my purchases.

n4uaj

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2011
Sounds like a winner to me. I never have encountered a "hard sell" at any of the two apple stores in my area. All they do is ask if you want applecare and if you buy any thing requiring extra cables the just try to make sure you have them. Like when i bought an apple tv the guy just asked did i have hdmi cables at home.

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
Just like Walmart, Advance Auto Parts, Lowe's etc.

When I bought my Mac Pro in 2008, I don't remember whether I had the option of picking up the boxes at the local Apple store. I did have to complete the order by talking with someone at Apple who suggested I order the larger capacity video card. I wouldn't really classify that as an up-sell, though.

At least FedEx has not delivered packages that appear on my doorstep looking as though many boxes had been sitting on top of them! Thank you, UPS!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.