Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone4sals.jpg

There have been a few slight changes in the iPhone 4S's external design, as compared to the original iPhone 4. The most noticeable is that the antennas have moved around the edge of the stainless steel band. But more importantly, at least for iPhone owners who put a case on their phone, is that the ambient light sensor or ALS has moved to the left several millimeters, according to CNET.
But that was before someone noticed that Apple had made a small but somewhat crucial design change: it moved the ambient-light sensor a few millimeters to the left. That created a problem for many rugged cases that covered more of the front of the iPhone: instead of peeking out through a hole cut into the case, the sensor was now hidden behind the case.

With no light penetrating, the sensor thinks the phone is in a darkened room and automatically dims the screen to look less blinding and save battery life. In the settings menu, you can manually set the screen brightness, but when in "auto-brightness" mode, the ambient-light sensor adjusts the brightness on the fly according to the ambient lighting conditions.
Case companies are adjusting their cases to suit the changes. Case manufacturer Otterbox told us that the main differences between the old and new cases "will be a larger cutout around the camera and proximity sensor, as well as a few minor adjustments to ensure the cases fit all versions of the iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S."

The CDMA iPhone 4 moved the mute switch slightly lower to make room for the upper left antenna. Some cases from the GSM iPhone 4 don't allow access to the moved mute switch. The iPhone 4S has the mute switch in the same location as the CDMA iPhone 4 and thus some early iPhone 4 cases prevent easy access to the mute switch as well.

Users having difficulties with screen brightness or dark pictures from the rear camera are encouraged to contact their case manufacturers for remedies.

Image courtesy iFixit

Article Link: Some iPhone 4 Cases May Not Work for iPhone 4S After Light Sensor Move

greytmom

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2010
I had one of the original cases made for the ATT iPhone 4. It slightly obscured the new larger rear camera and also covered half the mute button. Bought one that was made after Verizon iPhone came out and fortunately it fits well and doesn't obscure the ambient light sensor.

It's an Otterbox, but not one of the armor plated ones.

Edit: I found it online (but bought it locally). Price is right as well.

parasitius

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2011
Lol I was so confused by "mute switch"... I have never heard anyone call the switch anything before, so I just assumed it was called "manner mode switch"

VenusianSky

macrumors 65816
Aug 28, 2008
I was wondering if they did anything about the proximity sensor, or ALS, in the new iPhone. I was one having an issue with my iPhone 4 when I got it. The screen was coming on while I was talking. An update came out and made it much, much better, but it still turns on once in a while. I guess they found a better position for it.

genkihito

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I haven't seen anybody talk about this, but the 4S edges are not as sharp as the 4. This makes the device more comfortable in your hand.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Lol I was so confused by "mute switch"... I have never heard anyone call the switch anything before, so I just assumed it was called "manner mode switch"

Are you a Japanese? I know they call silent mode "manner mode" (mah-na moh-do)

The Toddler

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2011
Do the new Powersupport films accomodate this moved sensor? They just started releasing their films with an extra cutout for the sesnor.

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
That would explain why otterbox redesigned their commuter case and why I hung up on someone with my face on my 4S and the otter box commuter. I just ordered the new commuter. Hopefully it is less sharp! Anyone know?

neocerebrum

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2011
California
My iPhone 4S has the industrial-strength real rubber iPhone 3G case that I used an X-acto knife to cut a hole in for the light sensor on my iPhone 4, and cut a slightly larger opening for the camera. Everything else is the same. For my new iPhone 4S, I just cut an extra little hole. No problem. :)
(note the original real rubber Z-Cover brand cases from the original iPhone 3G were awesome before everyone started making these fake rubber "silicon" cases) I can drop my phone on the pavement and the rubber absorbs the shock much much better than a thin silicon case. :) :apple: :cool:

scpt

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2007
I bought the Griffin's Survivor case meant for iPhone 4. It works fine because of a larger opening on the front. Of course, I didn't know about this change when buying..just got lucky with my choice:).

DoofenshmirtzEI

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
So much for that guy in the iPhone forum who was screaming that Otterbox was running a scam claiming that 4 cases wouldn't work with a 4S.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
Do the new Powersupport films accomodate this moved sensor? They just started releasing their films with an extra cutout for the sesnor.

I have the 4S and have applied the normal 4 version film, works fine. I can see the additional cut out on the PS website but the advertised 4 version is the same and has the same upper cut out which actually is not there when you buy it

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.