Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:31 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Bluetooth 4.0 Becomes 'Bluetooth Smart' as iPhone 4S Creates New Opportunities

Following the debut of the iPhone 4S as the first phone to support the Bluetooth 4.0 standard, the Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) has begun promoting the technology under the new "Bluetooth Smart" marketing term. In a press release issued today, the Bluetooth SIG outlined the types of devices that will fall into the Bluetooth Smart categories.
Quote:
The Bluetooth Special Interest Group (SIG) announced two new brand extensions to its globally recognized logo today in an effort to create consumer awareness around compatibility for new devices implementing Bluetooth v4.0 - the Bluetooth Smart Ready trademark and the Bluetooth Smart trademark. Bluetooth Smart Ready devices are phones, tablets, PCs and TVs that sit at the center of a consumer's connected world and implement a Bluetooth v4.0 dual mode radio. Bluetooth Smart devices are sensor-type devices like heart-rate monitors or pedometers that run on button-cell batteries and were built to collect a specific piece of information. Bluetooth Smart devices include only a single-mode low energy Bluetooth v4.0 radio.
Bluetooth Smart has been promised as a way to allow devices to interact wirelessly using low-power standards, enabling countless new potential uses.
Quote:
Bluetooth Smart devices are designed to gather a specific type of information--are all the windows on my house locked, what is my insulin level, how much do I weigh today?--and send it to a Bluetooth Smart Ready device.

Examples include heart-rate monitors, blood-glucose meters, smart watches, window and door security sensors, key fobs for your car, and blood-pressure cuffs--the opportunities are endless.
While the iPhone 4S is not yet able to make extensive use of the features specific to Bluetooth Smart due to a lack of peripheral single-mode Smart devices capable of transmitting data to the iPhone, it is clear the Bluetooth standards bearers and manufacturers will be quickly pushing forward to promote the adoption of Smart technology in a host of new product categories.

Beyond the iPhone 4S, Apple has also been building Bluetooth 4.0 support into several of its latest Mac lines, including the Mac mini and MacBook Air introduced back in July. Notably, today's MacBook Pro update did not bring Bluetooth 4.0 support to that line, although the update was an extremely minor one that Apple is not even acknowledging as a refresh on its promotional product pages. Consequently, the update appears to have been limited to core "plug-and-play" features such as CPU, GPU, and hard drives that could be easily upgraded rather than features like new Bluetooth 4.0 capabilities that could require more significant engineering work.

Article Link: Bluetooth 4.0 Becomes 'Bluetooth Smart' as iPhone 4S Creates New Opportunities
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:35 PM   #2
adcx64
macrumors 65816

Can't wait to see this implemented.
adcx64 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:35 PM   #3
AlphaDogg
macrumors 68040

I think I like where Bluetooth is going.
AlphaDogg is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:40 PM   #4
8CoreWhore
macrumors 68000

Wow, good news.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:41 PM   #5
commander.data
macrumors 6502a

They really aught to have chosen more distinct terms between dual mode and single mode devices. For one thing, Smart Ready sounds like the lower standard even though it's actually the full spec.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
While the iPhone 4S is not yet able to make extensive use of the features specific to Bluetooth Smart due to a lack of peripheral Smart Ready devices capable of transmitting data to the iPhone, it is clear the Bluetooth standards bearers and manufacturers will be quickly pushing forward to promote the adoption of Smart technology in a host of new product categories.
Shouldn't that read that the iPhone 4S isn't able to make extensive use of Bluetooth Smart Ready since peripheral Bluetooth Smart devices are available yet rather than the other way around?
commander.data is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:42 PM   #6
gramirez2012
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to gramirez2012
Very cool. Good thing I bought the 4S.
gramirez2012 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:48 PM   #7
daxomni
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The update was an extremely minor one that Apple is not even acknowledging as a refresh on its promotional product pages.
And yet it was far more major than the iPod "refresh" that basically changed nothing on the device itself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaDogg View Post
I think I like where Bluetooth is going.
The dentist's biowaste bin?
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:49 PM   #8
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

I'm guessing the Bluetooth is still crippled and file transfer is blocked.
If not, really cool.
But Apple seems have a reason for preventing this feature.
I hope that changes.
Even my old RAZR phone from the 90s was able to do this.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:49 PM   #9
MultiMediaWill
macrumors 65816

I would trade Bluetooth 4.0 for NFC any day.
iPad 3 16gb
MultiMediaWill is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:49 PM   #10
BornAgainMac
macrumors 601

It may be time to pull it.
BornAgainMac is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:52 PM   #11
WildCowboy
Administrator/Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by commander.data View Post
Shouldn't that read that the iPhone 4S isn't able to make extensive use of Bluetooth Smart Ready since peripheral Bluetooth Smart devices are available yet rather than the other way around?
Ya, thanks. Meant to use "Smart" in both instances to refer to the technology and the dumb peripheral devices, but an extra "Ready" snuck in there somehow.
WildCowboy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:53 PM   #12
monkeylui
macrumors 6502

Cool. I use a bluetooth headset to listen to podcasts via AD2P when I only want one ear piece and no wires. It will be interesting to see where else this 4.0 gig takes us.
monkeylui is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:53 PM   #13
Mad-B-One
macrumors 6502a

Idea for implementation:

How about hand guns telling you how much ammunition is loaded?

"Siri, how many bullets do I have left?"

"You have 8 more cal.22 rounds left." (outside of California, of course)

Then the Bluetooth target:

"Siri, how many points did I hit?"

"You had a 10-point bulls-eye and two 5 point hits."

Oh, I would have to increase my gun allowance..."
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:54 PM   #14
PeterQVenkman
macrumors 68020

Let the hacking of everything begin.
PeterQVenkman is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:56 PM   #15
Nomadski
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Gates View Post
I'm guessing the Bluetooth is still crippled and file transfer is blocked.
If not, really cool.
But Apple seems have a reason for preventing this feature.
I hope that changes.
Even my old RAZR phone from the 90s was able to do this.
Its not Flash my friends rib me about having an iPhone, its this^^.

Its an embarrassing missing feature of the iPhone, STILL.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 03:58 PM   #16
sionharris
macrumors regular

Or potentially dangerous information, like: "Are all the windows on the house across the road locked?"
sionharris is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:04 PM   #17
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Maybe they can make it less of a voodoo technology first.

Oh, my mouse / headset stopped working. Why? No idea. Turn off device. Turn on device. No. Reboot computer. Turn off device, turn on device. No. Unpair device. Pair device. No. Do again. Oh, worked that time.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:05 PM   #18
dwman
macrumors 6502

Interesting possibilities on the health front. The iPhone might have to pass FDA's rules on being considered a medical device.
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:08 PM   #19
W1MRK
macrumors 6502

Excellent news
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:25 PM   #20
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
They really aught to have chosen more distinct terms between dual mode and single mode devices. For one thing, Smart Ready sounds like the lower standard even though it's actually the full spec.
I agree, having three non-descriptive terms isn't too smart.
Laird Knox is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:34 PM   #21
a.gomez
macrumors 6502

right, how about just catching up with regular BT and let me file transfer... My GT lets me do it - no point in reading the features if Apple going to cripple it in the end
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:43 PM   #22
dashiel
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiMediaWill View Post
I would trade Bluetooth 4.0 for NFC any day.
Out of curiosity why? NFC wouldn’t allow for the class of devices BT4 will because its broadcast range is too small, somewhere around a foot so you couldn’t have a heart rate monitor, or a nike+ like device.

It seems NFC has a ton of buzz due to Google’s (no pun intended) use of the technology for Google Wallet. To be fair NFC for contact-less payments has a few of advantages – connections are made faster (though in real world experience the difference is imperceptible you’re talking milliseconds of difference). NFC also has about double the data rate of BT4, but again I’m not sure in a real world example the difference between 200kpbs and 400kbps and the type of data being transmitted is going to be perceived. One area where BT4 is better for things like contact-less payment is its native support for encrypting the data.

Then there’s the logistics. NFC is an additional chip or an additional routine of a the main CPU one that has to be taken in to account at the OS level so now iOS is supporting 5 protocols: GSM, CDMA, Bluetooth, WiFi and NFC.

Seems kind of like a non-starter to me added complexity & cost for what amounts to an imperceptible benefit to the user.
dashiel is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 04:54 PM   #23
darkslide29
macrumors 6502a

For those with a Mac Mini or Air and an iPhone 4S, I wonder if we will be seeing a Mac program to pair the two. Perhaps an auto lock or auto sleep when stepping away from our computers.
I know that there are some ways to do this already with bluetooth, but with bluetooth 4.0 it would be a lot more tempting to use if it offers better battery life.
darkslide29 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:00 PM   #24
Thanatoast
macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.0.2;FBBV/4020.0;FBDV/iPhone2,1;FBMD/iPhone;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0;FBSS/1; FBCR/AT&T;FBID/phone;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/1.0])

Did I hear that this will become an alternative to NFC?
Thanatoast is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2011, 05:04 PM   #25
summitRun
macrumors regular

Quote:
Agreed! Smart and Smart Ready?? Very dumb...
summitRun is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion