Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Celtic-moniker

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2009
Melbourne Australia
Thankfully his family means something to him. He should spend time with them because he probably never saw them when he was co-founding and selling Siri.

//EDIT: Wow, -2 for me saying he should be with his own family???

//EDIT part deux: Thanks for the upticks! Some family men and women out there after all!

I've long found the 'ticks' on MacRumours to be indicative of only 1% of people whole probably read what you've wrote. And usually ticked by either trolls, or fully-fledged fanboys, which some to often be on here in the same quantities. :apple:

Not forgetting that the trolls are often the fanboys.

FX120

macrumors 65816
May 18, 2007
Man, only $100M for him instead of $400M? What a ripoff! :D

I am certain that he didn't end up with half of what ever the buyout was. The big money likely went back to the venture capital firms that financed Siri early on.

Winni

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
Germany.
My understanding was that working at Apple had the feel of a perpetual startup company.

That's a romantic marketing myth. A company with more than 50,000 employees simply CANNOT feel like a startup. It's impossible from an organizational perspective. Everything beyond ten employees automatically becomes bureaucratic, it's a fact of life.

There will be some small research and design teams at Apple that are run like startups, but that won't be the general rule for everybody there. When people dream about working for Apple, they actually dream about being a member of one of those glorified R&D teams to which only a fistful of people ever make it. The chances of landing a job there are as high as cracking the jackpot in the lottery. Yes, there usually is one winner every week. I don't know about you, but I can tell you that this winner usually is not me. Getting in there has a lot to do with luck and knowing the right people. No matter what everybody says and wants to believe, but just being awesome at what you do never is enough to get there.

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
Thankfully his family means something to him. He should spend time with them because he probably never saw them when he was co-founding and selling Siri.

//EDIT: Wow, -2 for me saying he should be with his own family???

//EDIT part deux: Thanks for the upticks! Some family men and women out there after all!

In my job I do not make a whole bunch of money. My wife does not make a whole bunch of money. I can't go globetrotting once a year (and that's economy). My toys are a couple of years old. I can't afford iPhone 4S and still on 3GS.

However I work 20 hours a week and get 3 months off a year. I get to spend time with my kids and be a chauffeur for their numerous activities while my wife is able to enjoy her career.

I really want to be rich but I am unwilling to give up my free and family time to do it. It has been said before, but most people on their deathbed do not wish they spent more time at work.

My humble simple thoughts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.