Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Its not Flash my friends rib me about having an iPhone, its this^^.

Its an embarrassing missing feature of the iPhone, STILL.

My friends at work who don't own iPhones at work do it to, I'll be talking about how great the camera phone is, and they say

"Hey that picture is great! Why don't you Bluetooth it to me....Oh wait you can't!!"

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
My friends at work who don't own iPhones at work do it to, I'll be talking about how great the camera phone is, and they say

"Hey that picture is great! Why don't you Bluetooth it to me....Oh wait you can't!!"

I can TOTALLY see that happening too. lol

s1m

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2008

Between iPhones you can - bluetooth photo share does exactly that.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007

I think you can do this through bump?

chocolate

macrumors newbie
May 4, 2007
iPhone 4S Bluetooth

I've been impressed by the Bluetooth in the 4S as it works with the Bluetooth in my little Mazda. (I'm upgrading from a flip phone w/ BT) It now allows me wireless phone/music/podcasts over the stereo. (Perhaps this is old news) Best of all, when in the middle of a podcast I can stop, turn off the ignition, and the BT on the iPhone pauses the podcast. When I start-up, the podcast begins where it left off. How civilized!.

bkushner

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2011
Why do I still have to use roqybt to connect my bluetooth dongle to my ipad? Why won't Apple allow this in the app store?

medelman

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2009
As someone who is currently writing software for a Bluetooth enabled wireless patch that monitors the heart, I'd really like to see iPhone open up it's Bluetooth capabilities. Currently our patch talks to a wearable pocket sized cellular gateway via Bluetooth, but it would be nice to be able to bypass the gateway altogether.

Matt

Diablograndepic

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
"Bluetooth Smart" now if...

... some manufacturer will just design a BT headset that cancels road noise well enough to allow the party on the other side of the phone call the ability to hear what it is I am trying to tell them.:rolleyes:

Dainin

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
right, how about just catching up with regular BT and let me file transfer... My GT lets me do it - no point in reading the features if Apple going to cripple it in the end

Where are the files going to go? Until we have access to the file system I don't see what good this would do.

jbrown

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2002
London
Why is this good news?

Could someone explain what new thongs I'll be able to do with BT 4?

cheers :)

TigerWoodsIV

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2010
I'm guessing the Bluetooth is still crippled and file transfer is blocked.
If not, really cool.
But Apple seems have a reason for preventing this feature.
I hope that changes.
Even my old RAZR phone from the 90s was able to do this.

That's pretty impressive, since the RAZR didn't come out until 2004.

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
IS there a specific REASON Apple don't allow their fonts to send files?

Assume data integrity and safety - with control of the system thrown in for good measure.

Apple wants to change the way we think about and use our computers/phones. Forget about a file system, they'll just build a specific functionality into the OS or through an app. Bluetooth, like NFC, is a hardware part, not a system solution. The fact that other manufacturers have made it possible to do things like transfer photos or files through BT is simply related to the fact that most or at least a lot of other manufacturers just don't think as globally about their products and systems as Apple does.

I'm still waiting for Apple to make the change from wired headset to BT headset. They are pushing wireless everything else, yet still hold on to the white headset. There has to be a reason for it, beyond cost difference. I don't care whether they provide a single or stereo headset - 99% of the time I'm just talking on the phone, not listening to music.

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
I was disappointed to see that the Macbook Pro refresh this week did not include Bluetooth 4.0, given that the Macbook Air, iPhone 4S and iPad 2 all support this now (I think...)

Pegamush

macrumors regular
Feb 19, 2011
before thinking about heart rate measurement, why don't they start with simple things like wireless syncing/sharing/streaming?
maybe let's start with contact/link sharing, then itunes sync, remote control the computer, airplay (called BluePlay for the occasion), lots of things, none of which will ever come out..

i hate being bond to a wifi connection from a mobile device. i've already payed for my data plan, so why should i connect to wifi whenever i want to do something useful? (i know, it's an awkward thinking, but that's me)

Last edited:

handygeek

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Can anyone list the benefits - and what we will actually be able to do with this?

It's mainly about power consumption and bandwidth scalability. For instance, a BT4 HRM doesn't need full-power/bandwidth BT just to send its telemetry data a few feet away. Likewise, the phone doesn't need to use as much power for that device. Also, devices that are more bandwidth-thirsty (like a BT headset) get up to 10 times more data rate and at a much lower power consumption. That means much better sounding BT stereo devices are possible.

----------

before thinking about heart rate measurement, why don't they start with simple things like wireless syncing/sharing/streaming?

Those are all made possible with Wifi and to a lesser degree 3G. BT4 is another means of connectivity, but mostly not meant for sharing. Am I missing something here?

handygeek

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Can anyone list the benefits - and what we will actually be able to do with this?

- Better sounding wireless headsets
- Higher quality wireless speakers
- Longer battery life on your phone
- Longer battery life on your devices (providing they support BT4)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.