Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kironin

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2004
Texas
I think the leather smart cover is a crazy rip off at that price. ...

If you need a case for your iPad 2, I just suggest you look elsewhere before deciding on the smart cover.

Yes, especially since you can find a full grain leather iPad 2 case with smart cover function on Amazon for $25.

Mal

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2002
Orlando
Apple should learn to simply never release anything in Orange. It's not the first time they've discontinued a product in that color range (Tangerine, anyone?).

The adjustments here, while fairly minor, look nice to me. If I were to get an iPad finally (I wish I could justify one now), I'd certainly appreciate these changes to the designs.

jW

mikeoertli

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2010
Littleton, CO
"Interior color now matches exterior color. The interior side of the Smart Cover facing the iPad screen had previously been a uniform gray color on all models. Smart Covers are now a consistent color inside and out."

My navy blue leather one already has this (bought on launch day)

Mine too.

Dhelsdon

macrumors 65816
Feb 5, 2010
Canadian Eh!
I don't understand why they got rid or Orange, of course it's not everyone's favourite.. but come on the bright colours are great!

I bought an Orange smart cover just before they were phased out.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
Looks like they have yet to update their smart cover page. Kind of surprising; it's been a few hours.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2011-10-24 at 11.39.13 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2011-10-24 at 11.39.13 AM.png
    222.3 KB · Views: 89

Astro7x

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2010
I think the leather smart cover is a crazy rip off at that price. I got this case because it was on discount ($15) at my Verizon store when I was lucky to get a first generation iPad last June at a great price. It covers the back too and provides excellent viewing angels. Just as nice if not nicer leather compared to the smart cover.

If you need a case for your iPad 2, I just suggest you look elsewhere before deciding on the smart cover.

I don't know... that case looks like it doubles the thickness of the iPad. There is something to be appreciated about a case that covers just the screen while making it as thin as possible.

jll62

macrumors regular
Sep 2, 2009
Minneapolis, MN
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

As mentioned by others, this article is not correct. The leather covers have had matching interior and exterior colors since launch day. I have a black cover and my wife has a navy cover

Only the polyurethane covers had gray interiors.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
The What's your favorite Smart Cover color? poll has been updated to reflect the discontinued orange choice and the new dark gray choice.

I don't think Apple made this change based on our poll at MacRumors since orange was ahead of green, pink, cream, tan, and navy.

Black and red are the leaders there.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
If you look at the comments on the AppleStore about this product you'll see a significant number of people complaining that when this cover was folded to be used as a picture stand (where the iPad stood almost vertically and placed on a shelf) that it often fell over with disastrous consequences). The strength of the magnets was insufficient for this arrangement even though it's a valid thing to do. I'm actually very interested to see if Apple addressed this issue and bundled that fix with all of the cosmetic changes.

i wish this was the only problem with the smartcover, it also doesn't clean but leave really really annoying stripes on the display that u can barely swipe away with a tissue

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I think the leather smart cover is a crazy rip off at that price. I got this case because it was on discount ($15) at my Verizon store when I was lucky to get a first generation iPad last June at a great price. It covers the back too and provides excellent viewing angels. Just as nice if not nicer leather compared to the smart cover.

Can I get it in Orange?? ;)

FoxHoundADAM

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2008
Oklahoma
Apple should learn to simply never release anything in Orange. It's not the first time they've discontinued a product in that color range (Tangerine, anyone?).

The adjustments here, while fairly minor, look nice to me. If I were to get an iPad finally (I wish I could justify one now), I'd certainly appreciate these changes to the designs.

jW

The orange one is my favorite.

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
Penn's Woods
I have been using the Toblino 2 for 6 months and have nothing but good things to say! It has great reviews on Amazon...

needlnerdz

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2006
switzerland
poor orange... it was the first and only color i considered for mine. also amazing how many naysayers there are for the covers function. i'm oh so impressed by the ability to flip it open and be 'on' - fold it back.. have a stand.. easily rip it off if going commando... it's one of the best designed accessories in my eyes.

biggreydog

macrumors member
Aug 23, 2010
Maybe I just live on an island, but the dozen or so people I see with an iPad all use a black leather cover. I'm glad I got the laser engraving on the back of my iPad!

----------

Note to Apple:

Start licensing sport team/college logos on the cover. You might find people dumping their plain solid color cover for one or two more featuring their favorite team/college.

Just a thought.

BigTroll

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
considering i have an orange speck case for my MacBook, and a iskin solo orange case for my 3gs, not to mention the orange smart cover iam sad they are discontinuing it...love live the Tangerine iBook!

MartiNZ

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2008
Auckland, New Zealand
considering i have an orange speck case for my MacBook, and a iskin solo orange case for my 3gs, not to mention the orange smart cover iam sad they are discontinuing it...love live the Tangerine iBook!

Yeah absolutely! I bought a tangerine a few years back - had wanted one for many years more, and it is awesome; why anyone would discontinue something orange is beyond me!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.