Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mbp_mid_2010_15_inch-150x109.jpg

Apple today released MacBook Pro Video Update 1.0, a new software update designed to address freezing and other video issues on the company's Mid-2010 version of the 15-inch MacBook Pro.
This update addresses an issue where MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2010) computers may intermittently freeze or stop displaying video.
An associated support document offers additional information on the issue:
Apple has determined that a small number of MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2010) computers may intermittently freeze or stop displaying video on the built-in display or on an external display connected to the MacBook Pro. In this situation, you may also see a restart warning message before the video is lost or the display turns black or gray. Affected computers were manufactured between April 2010 and February 2011.
The software update, which weighs in at 70.97 MB, does require OS X Lion 10.7.2. Users still running Mac OS X Snow Leopard and experiencing issues are advised to contact Apple technical support, Apple retail store, or an authorized service provider in order to assess whether service is required. OS X Lion users who continue to experience issues after applying the new update are also advised to contact one of the support options for follow-up diagnostics and potential servicing.

Article Link: Apple Addresses Video Freeze Issue on Mid-2010 15-Inch MacBook Pro

deckerbm

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2008
Baltimore, MD
This completely fixed the problem for me on my mid-2010 15" i7.

I've been unstable (with the black screen issue) since Lion was released. Glad apple finally got around to fixing it!

armandosoriano

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ditto

Max E Verde

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2005
New Jersey
I updated this and immediately noticed when my Mac resumed my desktop that Mission Control was so much smoother. Also playing WoW I was able to turn the setting back to High (probably where it should be for the computer I have) and is running better than when I had it on medium before.

Silverbird0000

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2006
Fort Myers, FL
I have not had any issues with mine while using the built in display or with the 27" LED Cinema Display plugged in. But I'm glad to hear that it improves game performance. I got prompted for the update 2 hours ago, but have yet to apply it. I'll report back.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Great, now they can address and fix the issue with the 2011 MacBook Pros getting blue screens when quitting applications due to poor management of graphics switching.

I wonder how long it will take them......

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
This completely fixed the problem for me on my mid-2010 15" i7.

I've been unstable (with the black screen issue) since Lion was released. Glad apple finally got around to fixing it!

Did you experience the problem with Snow Leopard?

So far my 15" core i7 Mid 2010 running SL 10.6.8 has not displayed the problem.

Yet that said I don't work with or play a lot of Videos.

How frequently did you encounter the problem with yours?

Thanks.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Did you experience the problem with Snow Leopard?

So far my 15" core i7 Mid 2010 running SL 10.6.8 has not displayed the problem.

Yet that said I don't work with or play a lot of Videos.

How frequently did you encounter the problem with yours?

Thanks.

My problem started in 10.6.8 and got really bad in Lion. It's strange because more than use 2010 MBP users are experiencing this issue.

By the way, anyone find that this update fixes the memory leak issue in Safari 5.1? It fixed if for me. Sneaky Apple.

Menopause

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2011
Hooha I got a brand new replacement MacBook Pro from Apple a couple of weeks back because of this :D

hfletcher

macrumors 6502
Oct 10, 2008
UK
Oh God.... I hope the 330M doesn't fall to the same issues as the 8800M Chip-Failure incident back in 2008......

Munnichs

macrumors member
Mar 30, 2011
C'mon apple! I hope with my whole apple heart this update fixes my random freezes/crashes I get since lion!

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Mine had this issue and Apple took it as one of their 5 capture units to fix this issue!!

pikzel

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2010
Finally. I've been waiting for four months for this. I hope we can get some compensation for this, but I guess they will let us down again.

mr.datsun

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
Do I have video freeze? Advice, please.

I have a 15" MacBook Pro of that vintage and my external Apple 24" screen goes black for 1-2 seconds about three times a day or sometimes more frequently.

Is this the same issue that they describe above as video freezing?

mikeb13

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2009
I've been waiting for this ever since I have upgraded to Lion. I hated the Black Screen of Death (BSOD). Hopefully, this update will fix the BSOD issue. I had the BSOD five times last week. It was never consistent. Sometimes it would happen when using Safari, opening a folder, starting Quicktime, or opening some other programs on my computer. I kept sending Apple all of the crash reports.

The BSOD never happened with Snow Leopard but once I upgraded to Lion it happened frequently. I even went back to Snow Leopard. Once the 10.7.2 update came out two weeks I decided to do a clean install on a new hard drive so if the BSOD still existed, I could go back to Snow Leopard. It took about 4 days after the 10.7.2 update that I got my first BSOD.

----------

I have a 15" MacBook Pro of that vintage and my external Apple 24" screen goes black for 1-2 seconds about three times a day or sometimes more frequently.

Is this the same issue that they describe above as video freezing?

You have an issue but not the one this update is describing. The problem here is that all of a sudden your display would go black (you lose the video signal) and in my case, the backlit keyboard would light up. There was nothing to do except hold the power button to power down the computer and start it up again.

guzhogi

macrumors 68040
Aug 31, 2003
Wherever my feet take me…
Oh God.... I hope the 330M doesn't fall to the same issues as the 8800M Chip-Failure incident back in 2008......

Oh, geez, I know! I had to get my 2008 MBP repaired 3 times because of that #%^#^% 8800. Last time I brought it in, the Genius Bar guy just gave me a new MBP. Pretty sweet considering the problems I went through!

mr.datsun

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2010
You have an issue but not the one this update is describing. The problem here is that all of a sudden your display would go black (you lose the video signal) and in my case, the backlit keyboard would light up. There was nothing to do except hold the power button to power down the computer and start it up again.

That's not exactly what is happening in my case. Yes, the screen goes black but I do not need to reboot as the screen comes back on after approx. 2 seconds and then it's back to normal.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.