Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeezyBear

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2010
A friend of mine dropped her iPhone 4S and cracked the back glass. She set up an appointment with the Genius Bar via phone to have the back replaced. I went with her and when we got there a genius told us that there's no longer a code in their system to replace the back or front of the phone for accidental damage. She would have to buy a new phone for the price she paid for it. He said it was like that for the iPhone 4 now also.

I understand they don't do one time replacements for free anymore, but it seems kind of absurd that they don't allow you to pay for just the front or the back to be replaced. Has anyone else experienced this?

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
A friend of mine dropped her iPhone 4S and cracked the back glass. She set up an appointment with the Genius Bar via phone to have the back replaced. I went with her and when we got there a genius told us that there's no longer a code in their system to replace the back or front of the phone for accidental damage. She would have to buy a new phone for the price she paid for it. He said it was like that for the iPhone 4 now also.

I understand they don't do one time replacements for free anymore, but it seems kind of absurd that they don't allow you to pay for just the front or the back to be replaced. Has anyone else experienced this?

Well I was a dumb ass and spilt water in mine. I don't have apple care, and they replaced the phone for me without issue. I expected to pay the $200 and be on my way.

HeezyBear

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2010
Well I was a dumb ass and spilt water in mine. I don't have apple care, and they replaced the phone for me without issue. I expected to pay the $200 and be on my way.
Are you saying you did or did not pay the $200? That situation is a little different though because there's not much they could do to fix your phone anyways.

MayBee

macrumors 6502
Oct 21, 2011
you still have time to buy applecare+ and get it replaced...but keep in mind that you need to pay $50 deductible fee.

or get a cover in the back and no one will see it :)...cheapest method :)

HeezyBear

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2010
you still have time to buy applecare+ and get it replaced...but keep in mind that you need to pay $50 deductible fee.
I also understand this. However, my point is that it would previously cost $30 to replace something that now would cost $150 (AppleCare+ and the $50 deductible). AppleCare+ would be good to have for things like water damage or other instances where the phone becomes completely unusable. It just seems odd to need it for something like this.

BadMoon

macrumors 6502
Jun 21, 2010
Are you saying you did or did not pay the $200? That situation is a little different though because there's not much they could do to fix your phone anyways.

I did not have to pay anything. The guy asked if I ever had to bring a phone back to them. I said no first time dumb ass. He then grabbed a replacement and said here you are. Try to be more careful.

HeezyBear

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 21, 2010
I did not have to pay anything. The guy asked if I ever had to bring a phone back to them. I said no first time dumb ass. He then grabbed a replacement and said here you are. Try to be more careful.
How long ago was that?

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Really? I don't see why they would do this, especially since I'm assuming it's the same glass as the iPhone 4. Try going in again and getting a different employee at the genius bar.

Manzanas

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2011
Whatever you do I would suggest that you get applecare+ anyways. It cheap peace of mind, and applecare told me on the phone that if it gets stolen I only pay 130 for a replacement. That alone is worth it.

Abyssgh0st

macrumors 68000
Jan 12, 2009
Colorado
Assuming this is true, that's pretty odd for them to do it. Surely the glass and 5 minutes of labor costs them less than $29.

Anyway, might as well buy a case to cover it up or spend $15 on eBay and get an OEM back or a nifty different material/color one.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I would just go on eBay and get a replacement for $10 or so.

If only the back glass is broken and they won't replace for the normal $29.

It wouldn't make sense to go about it any other way.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
AppleCare+... if it gets stolen I only pay 130 for a replacement.

That is not correct. AppleCare+ does not cover lost/stolen phones in any way.

4. What is not Covered?
4.2 Hardware Coverage and ADH Coverage. The Plan does not apply to:
iv) Covered Equipment that has been lost or stolen. This Plan only covers Covered Equipment that is returned to Apple in its entirety;

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Here is a solution: find someone with iPhone who does have AppleCare, exchange the screen with him/her, bring his phone to Apple Store and they will replace the screen.

Alternatively - buy a phone with Gorilla Glass and/or proper design that is much less prone to breaking. ;)

alent1234

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2009

probably cheaper for them to replace/sell broken phones, send them to china to be refurbished and then put back in the system as refurbs

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Here is a solution: find someone with iPhone who does have AppleCare, exchange the screen with him/her, bring his phone to Apple Store and they will replace the screen.

Alternatively - buy a phone with Gorilla Glass and/or proper design that is much less prone to breaking. ;)

Or just don't drop your phone..

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011

If you are going to criticize at least get your facts straight, it's AppleCare+ not AppleCare. And the iPhone 4S does have Gorilla glass: http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-4-t...rilla-glass-costly-screen-replacement-2391099. Your ignorant comments keep rolling in.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
Ha! I like that I got a negative vote just because someone couldn't handle the fact I was right.

If you are going to criticize at least get your facts straight, it's AppleCare+ not AppleCare. And the iPhone 4S does have Gorilla glass: http://www.slashgear.com/iphone-4-t...rilla-glass-costly-screen-replacement-2391099. And you ignorant comments keep rolling in.

Doesn't the iPhone 4 also have gorilla glass, since it's all the same external hardware as the iPhone 4S? Gah. I hate people that post to be negative and unhelpful and forget how ignorant they're being. <--- Last part not meant for you, directed at the other poster. Lol.

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011

Don't be so sure. The Slashgear article you linked says Gorilla Glass, but they're quoting the iFixIt teardown. iFixIt says "The front glass panel of the iPhone is reported to be constructed of Corning Gorilla Glass", but they don't give any citation to support that or say who exactly "reported" it.

I don't know if the iPhone uses Gorilla Glass or not. Given the ease with which it can shatter, and having seen videos of strength demonstrations of Corning Gorilla Glass, I suspect it does not. Apple and Corning won't say.

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey

or get a cover in the back and no one will see it :)...cheapest method :)

I thught with Apple's new system you had to buy Applecare at the time you activated your 4S? So you can still buy Applecare even though my 4S is a week old? If that is the case then I am all for it otherwise not spending $100 to extend a $300 phone for one year? does not make sense?

Ronnoco

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
United States of America
I dropped my iPhone 4S the night I got it (launch night) and it shattered the front display glass. Made an appointment with the Genius Bar the next day and they replaced the phone for free but highly suggested I purchase AppleCare+ for future issues...

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Just talked to a senior advisor at applecare. While they dont cover the lost iphone, they due sell you the phone for a 1/3 of the cost-200

Pics or it didn't happen.

And by Pics, I mean point to where it is written in the Terms & Conditions of AppleCare+. Until you can, the policy doesn't exist regardless of what the "senior advisor" told you.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
point to where it is written in the Terms & Conditions of AppleCare+. Until you can, the policy doesn't exist regardless of what the "senior advisor" told you.

See this post for the T&C reference excluding lost/stolen phones from coverage, section 4.2.iv. It's written into the hardcopy T&C Apple mailed me a couple days ago as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.