Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:51 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Sony Courting Aaron Sorkin to Write Screenplay for Steve Jobs Movie?

Earlier this month, Sony Pictures acquired the movie rights to Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs, seeking to adapt the story for the big screen. Sony was viewed as being a good fit for the film, as the studio's Columbia Pictures arm had successfully transitioned the story of Facebook to film with last year's release of The Social Network.

Aaron Sorkin
The writer behind The Social Network was Aaron Sorkin, who also gained fame for his work on A Few Good Men, The West Wing, and most recently Moneyball. And according to The Los Angeles Times, Sony is once again trying to pair up with Sorkin for the Steve Jobs screenplay.
Quote:
Sony is moving forward with a Steve Jobs movie based on Isaacson's book. And one of the writers being courted by producers to pen his story, according to a person who was briefed on the project but not authorized to speak about it publicly, is Aaron Sorkin, Hollywood's chronicler-in-chief of the complicated visionary.

The "Moneyball" and "Social Network" writer was said by the person to be considering the prospect but had made no decisions. Sony and a Sorkin representative declined to comment on the writer's potential involvement.
Sorkin and Jobs actually did have a bit of history with each other, as Jobs had tried to convince Sorkin to write a film for Pixar, a proposal Sorkin declined because he didn't "think [he could] make inanimate objects talk."
Quote:
STEVE: Once you make them talk they won't be inanimate.

ME: The truth is I don't know how to tell those stories. I have a young kid who loves Pixar movies and she'll turn cartwheels if I tell her I'm writing one and I don't want to disappoint her by writing the only bad movie in the history of Pixar.
A timeline for the potential Jobs movie is not yet firmed up, and casting is obviously still a ways off. Former ER star Noah Wyle, who played Jobs in the 1999 made-for-TV film Pirates of Silicon Valley, has expressed interest in reprising the role.
Quote:
Are you kidding? I would give my eye teeth, in the heartbeat, of a New York minute. There are certain roles you wish you could tackle over and over again. That's one for me.
Isaacson's Steve Jobs experienced very strong pre-orders and early sales, and is headed toward the top of Amazon's list top-selling books for 2011, currently ranked #12.

Article Link: Sony Courting Aaron Sorkin to Write Screenplay for Steve Jobs Movie?
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:55 AM   #2
Skika
macrumors 68020

I'd watch that.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:55 AM   #3
ad2435
macrumors member

People are really milking this. Sad.
ad2435 is offline   -10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:56 AM   #4
dagamer34
macrumors 65816

This is one of those times when I hope everything false into place to make for a great film. And I do hope Noah Wyle gets cast as Jobs again. That would be epic!

On another note, where the hell is Pirates of Silicon Valley on Blu-ray?!?! O_o
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:56 AM   #5
UHFrank
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ad2435 View Post
People are really milking this. Sad.
i know let's chill out for a minute! geez
UHFrank is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:58 AM   #6
jbass
macrumors newbie

If this movie does move forward, nobody *but* Sorkin should be allowed to write the screenplay.
jbass is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 09:59 AM   #7
Kilamite
macrumors G3

I would love it if this happened.

Pirates of Silicon Valley was awesome, but a movie that just focused on Steve's story would be even better. I'm about 10% through his biography, and I can actually imagine everything so far being able to be transitioned to the screen.

Wonder how they'd adapt it though? A story like Pirates of Silicon Valley, or as a narrated sequence, with most of the people who were interviewed speaking their parts and appearing on the big screen as they do so?

I'd prefer it as a story.. act out what folk said Steve was like.

Kilamite is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:00 AM   #8
DiamondMac
macrumors 68040

I can't stand Noah but I actually agree that he would be a very good actor for the Jobs role
21.5-inch, 500GB, 2.5GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
DiamondMac is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:00 AM   #9
alex00100
macrumors regular

umm... book - ok... such topic on every forum - ok... cancelled android 4 or something presentation - ok... lots of other stuff - ok... but a movie... thats too much for a person. take compassion on him!

Last edited by alex00100; Oct 25, 2011 at 10:06 AM.
alex00100 is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:01 AM   #10
electrovir
macrumors newbie

Oh please no...
electrovir is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:02 AM   #11
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
While I did like The Social Network, I don't like that picture of the scriptwriter. His smile looks... wrong. Something about it says "Hey, I'm all for screwing people out of their money!"
ArtOfWarfare is online now   -11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:02 AM   #12
Hakone
macrumors 6502

Jack Black as Woz?
Hakone is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:02 AM   #13
topmounter
macrumors 68000

The guy is barely in the ground... give it some time. A little perspective never hurts.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:03 AM   #14
*LTD*
Banned

Sorkin and Jobs actually did have a bit of history with each other, as Jobs had tried to convince Sorkin to write a film for Pixar, a proposal Sorkin declined because he didn't "think [he could] make inanimate objects talk."
Quote:

STEVE: Once you make them talk they won't be inanimate.

Classic Jobs. Amazing that he knew everyone else's business better than even they did, and could see possibilities where, for some reason, no one else saw them.
*LTD* is offline   -8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:03 AM   #15
paul4339
macrumors 6502a

that's so weird, refusing Jobs to write a story for Pixar, but end up writing a story about Jobs.

paul4339 is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:04 AM   #16
840quadra

I am really not a fan of the movies listed as his referenced work. Whomever does this story really needs to work closely with Issiacson, and any others who actually knew Steve Jobs personally.

Honestly If I had a choice, I would choose to pay for the audio recordings Issiacson has of Jobs, over any movie anybody would make.
840quadra is offline   -5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:05 AM   #17
HONDAxACURA
macrumors regular

It should be animated, from Pixar.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:08 AM   #18
roadbloc
macrumors 604

Okay. It's officially getting stupid now. But I guess they'll keep milking the cash cow until everyone has lost interest.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:13 AM   #19
bushido
macrumors 601

i already feel bad for the person who gets cast as steve jobs
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:14 AM   #20
nostaws
macrumors 6502

Quote:
I don’t want to disappoint her by writing the only bad movie in the history of Pixar.
Note to Sorkin:
It's cool if you write a Pixar movie now. With the release of Cars 2, if your Pixar script/movie tanks it won't be the ONLY one.
nostaws is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:16 AM   #21
Consultant
macrumors G5

I hope Sony won't replace Apple products with sony products and pcs in this movie (they stuff The Social Network with sony product placements).
Consultant is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:19 AM   #22
whammink
macrumors newbie

Eye teeth

What are eye teeth?
whammink is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:19 AM   #23
nickydude
macrumors newbie

Ashton Kutcher as the young Steve
nickydude is offline   -4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:20 AM   #24
HelveticaRoman
macrumors 6502

Vincent Price as John Sculley.
HelveticaRoman is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 10:23 AM   #25
Dr McKay
macrumors Demi-God

Send a message via MSN to Dr McKay Send a message via Skype™ to Dr McKay
Quote:
Originally Posted by dagamer34 View Post
This is one of those times when I hope everything false into place to make for a great film. And I do hope Noah Wyle gets cast as Jobs again. That would be epic!

On another note, where the hell is Pirates of Silicon Valley on Blu-ray?!?! O_o

Gangster Movie, about the Apple Family, fighting an undercover war for turf against the Microsoft Family. Starring Jason Statham as Jonathan Ive.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion