Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iphone_cameras_key.jpg

Lisa Bettany, one of the developers behind Camera+, has posted two interesting series of photos comparing the camera quality across all generations of the iPhone, as well as to Canon point-and-shoot and professional-level cameras.
The iPhone 4S is dramatically clearer and sharper than previous iPhone versions. Using separate focus and exposure in Camera+ on the iPhone 4 & 4S significantly helped create a more balanced exposure. While it's not nearing the same quality as a professional level dSLR, it is comparable to a top of the line compact camera and even outshines it in some ways.
PetaPixel has taken the images from the iPhones and presented portions of them side-by-side to provide the clearest example of how the iPhone's rear-facing camera has evolved over the years.

iphone_cameras_skyline.png

Article Link: Comparison of Cameras Across iPhone Generations

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
The original and the 3g look like garbage. The dumb phone i had at the time was far better for photography use.

Autofocus really makes a difference

Tastydirt

macrumors member
Sep 25, 2009
Interesting, but we really need 100% crops to get a true comparison, and some night shots too.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
I am pretty sure iPhone3G wasn't that bad.

I used it for almost 2 years. It took pretty good pictures. I am not a photographer but they weren't as bad as the one shown in the first pic.

Silly stupid.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Sharp but the colors are still of compared to the original (pro slr camera).
Look on their website there are better shots to compare.
But for an iPhone its not that bad at all, just have to adjust the colors afterwards.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm glad the article posts comparison images from "real" cameras. What amazed me is how much more I like the images from the iPhone 4. There seems to be a richer color in those versions. The 4S images seem over-exposed.

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
I am pretty sure iPhone3G wasn't that bad.

I used it for almost 2 years. It took pretty good pictures. I am not a photographer but they weren't as bad as the one shown in the first pic.

Silly stupid.

They tested on a macro shot which original and 3g did not have that capability... Not fair at all...

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Interesting, but we really need 100% crops to get a true comparison, and some night shots too.

For the macro situation, you can pretty clearly see the difference without the 100% crop. The change over time is impressive -- the performance of the 4S is surprisingly close to the PowerShot. On the other hand, these are situations where camera phones do relatively better, vs. things like a portrait, where I think they're more noticably not as good as P&S's (and certainly not as good as dSLR).

Cancelled
Jul 23, 2008

Haha night shots on the 2G, 3G and 3GS would just be a black rectangle!

EDIT: Damn, beaten to it!

Last edited:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
The original and the 3g look like garbage. The dumb phone i had at the time was far better for photography use.

Autofocus really makes a difference

That's standard apple operating procedure. They are cutting edge in some areas, but lag in others. Usually when they make up for the areas in which they are lacking they leap-frog the competition. Examples:

Bad Mobile Phone Camera --> Best Mobile Phone Camera
No MMS on iPhone --> Now you can iMessage/Tweet/MMS almost anything from any iOS device
No eSATA on Mac --> Now you get Thunderbolt
No Voice Recognition --> Now you get a personal assistant
No Copy/Paste on iOS --> Now the slickest select/copy/paste touch UI out there
No Multitasking on iOS --> Now smart Multitasking that saves your battery
No HDMI on iPhone/iPad --> Now you have HDMI/Composite/Component adapters + AirPlay
No Magazines on iOS --> Now you get Newsstand
No Third Party Apps --> Now App Store has more apps than Palm ever did
Poor Cloud Offering --> iCloud will effortlessly sync your stuff + 3rd party apps

Sure there are some things that Apple usually just does catch-up on. The "WiFi Hotspot" on iPhone was one example, but it was basically AT&T blocking that. Technically the iPhone 3GS was the first to offer tethering, but AT&T did not support it until iPhone 4 was almost out, so Apple did not bother with hotspot. And decent notifications were ultimately a cross between Web OS and Android functionality with some pretty UI and a nice sliding gesture to jump to the app and some widgets in the notification center. But Apple by and large does three things:

1) Completely change a market with a ground-breaking product introduction

2) Sit back and leap frog the competition once they feel they have something that is good enough or done right to fit with their road map

3) Produce a solid or above-average (or even best implementation) that is more or less a clone of the competition's offerings

What they don't do is:

1) Add a feature or product without extensively testing it internally

2) Add a feature or product just because the competition is doing it

3) Add something that is going to require more customer support and therefore lower customer satisfaction ratings

I don't doubt Apple's ability to add willy nilly features. Rather I suspect it comes down to internal prioritization and fitting those features into a road map that is already in place. Blu-Ray has never fit in Apple's roadmap since they want everything to be a download to a hard drive or be available in the cloud, so they will always leave that to third-party providers.

And YES, this can be frustrating when Apple's priorities don't match your personal individual priorities.

ksgant

macrumors 6502a
Jan 12, 2006
Chicago
I'm sure the problem with the original iPhone and 3G models was that it couldn't focus that close. The normal pictures on those two models were fine as-is. It's just in this one demo showing they couldn't focus that close at all.

JusChexin

macrumors member
May 28, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Maybe it's just me, but the quality of my 3GS camera shots are nowhere near the quality shown here :-/

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Given the inherent auto-ISO/auto-WB limitations of any small sensor smartphone camera, I actually prefer the white balance on iPhone 4 better than the 4S. YMMV.

daxomni

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
This thread does a great job of reminding folks that not ever component Apple chooses is great. Or even good. Or even worth using at all.

That's standard apple operating procedure. They are cutting edge in some areas, but lag in others. Usually when they make up for the areas in which they are lacking they leap-frog the competition.
No eSATA on Macbook Pro --> Now you get ThunderBlunder!
No USB3 on Macbook Pro --> Now you get ThunderBlunder!
No HDMI on Macbook Pro --> Now you get ThunderBlunder!
No ExpressCard on Macbook Pro --> Now you get SD Card Slot?!

And what's with only two ancient decade-old USB2 ports on a thousand plus computer in 2011?

Sometimes Apple gets it very right but other times Apple just plain screws up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.