Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
At first i didn't mind seeing a few passages from the book, but now we are getting some every day about something different. Some of us still haven't had the chance to even get their's from Amazon yet (me). Keep some of the surprises for the reader!

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK
The story is clearly titled. Maybe don't read the story?

arn

Erm, most of the time the title contains the main subject plucked from the book. "Steve Jobs Regretted Early Decision to Delay Cancer Surgery", "From Steve Jobs' Biography: "I'm going to destroy Android"", "Steve Jobs on an Apple Television Set: 'I Finally Cracked It'", "Steve Jobs Biography to Include Resignation Details".

whiteboytrash

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
The textbook concept works well. Every time I see a student with a backpack weighing more than they do I can see the iPad fits well. The other area is updates. Textbooks are forever out of date and come in varying versions. Updates generally only require modification of some chapters rather than an full overhaul of the entire book. Release updates lends well to the iPad model. The other area is testing. Most textbooks have sample questions for the students to perform with answers at the back of the book – look, cover check will work well here with the answers/results revealed on the same page. The final area is schematics and diagrams. In textbooks they are static but iPad they can move/change/sound etc.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Erm, most of the time the title contains the main subject plucked from the book. "Steve Jobs Regretted Early Decision to Delay Cancer Surgery", "From Steve Jobs' Biography: "I'm going to destroy Android"", "Steve Jobs on an Apple Television Set: 'I Finally Cracked It'", "Steve Jobs Biography to Include Resignation Details".

Right, and this one doesn't.

arn

eawmp1

macrumors 601
Feb 19, 2008
FL
It's like an old movie serial.

Tune in next week...same iTime...same iChannel.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
At first i didn't mind seeing a few passages from the book, but now we are getting some every day about something different. Some of us still haven't had the chance to even get their's from Amazon yet (me). Keep some of the surprises for the reader!

There's nothing in the title of this article which gives anything away. You could just ignore it.

Kaibelf

Suspended
Apr 29, 2009
Silicon Valley, CA

I couldn't agree more. It's like reading Macspoilers.com now. I was dying to buy the book, but all this coverage has ruined it for me (on all sites). Now I wonder if it's a waste of money since so many of these damned bloggers can't help themselves.

There's nothing in the title of this article which gives anything away. You could just ignore it.

No, but these passages ARE taking up huge chunks of the main site. Every few hours. Every day.

On another note, however, I wish I could just reach out and slap all those people that wrote Steve complaining about the iPad. Morons, all of them. :apple:

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
Having worked in the academic market space for over 20 years I can tell you that if the publishers of text books have their way, their content will never be available in electronic format.

This is a cash cow for them.

The only way things will change is if a new player entered the game and created their own text books. Again, you cannot rely on the current publishers to do this.

It would be cheaper for everyone if a student was given an iPad with their text books loaded. It would also be cheaper in the long run for K-12 students to be given a device similar to the iPad, pre-loaded with their textbooks and courseware.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Then perhaps keep it that way for the remaining 10% of the book you've not yet quoted. AppleInsider isn't running a story on every detail, do you really need to?

um...

http://www.appleinsider.com/article...jobs_regretted_delaying_cancer_treatment.html
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...oogle_android_called_it_a_stolen_product.html
http://www.appleinsider.com/article...r_he_cracked_the_secret_to_a_simple_hdtv.html

Yes, some of the early posts were spoilers. It was unavoidable. We're now posting additional details without revealing them in the title, as people have suggested.

the8thark

macrumors 601
Apr 18, 2011
The story is clearly titled. Maybe don't read the story?

arn

Why be so arrogant?
He does have a very valid point. It's a little hard not to read cause the info is right there on the front page. if you had to click a link to see the info that'd be different.

But I agree with him. I didn't read the article but still saw the title. And I'm only reading the book once the MacRumors spoilers have died down and I've forgotten them. Early next year sometime.

MacRumors is the best rumours site. We don't need to clone all the others with their bad habits.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Why be so arrogant?

It's not arrogance. It's an actual suggestion.

But I agree with him. I didn't read the article but still saw the title. And I'm only reading the book once the MacRumors spoilers have died down and I've forgotten them. Early next year sometime.

The title was purposefully written to avoid exposing anything. Everyone knows Apple developed and launched an iPad.

arn

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
Why be so arrogant?
He does have a very valid point. It's a little hard not to read cause the info is right there on the front page. if you had to click a link to see the info that'd be different.

MacRumors is the best rumours site. We don't need to clone all the others with their bad habits.

Let it go...if you don't like the show, change the channel.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It's a little hard not to read cause the info is right there on the front page. if you had to click a link to see the info that'd be different.

reload the front page, I've fixed that.

arn

mypants

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2011
one more thing...

Having worked in the academic market space for over 20 years I can tell you that if the publishers of text books have their way, their content will never be available in electronic format.

This is a cash cow for them.

The only way things will change is if a new player entered the game and created their own text books. Again, you cannot rely on the current publishers to do this.

It would be cheaper for everyone if a student was given an iPad with their text books loaded. It would also be cheaper in the long run for K-12 students to be given a device similar to the iPad, pre-loaded with their textbooks and courseware.

States are beginning to enact legislation that mandates that a certain percentage of the curriculum be electronic by "X" date. Some of this has to do with reaction to the sheer size and weight of textbooks that adolescents are dragging around, the other is an attempt to "stay current." How the "electronic curriculum" shakes out has not been determined. The idea of a digital "textbook" may not be what digital curriculum is in the future. This is one reason that publishers are waiting it out. They want to see what the standard will be, both from what is legally required and what the demand is.

All my health sciences books from Pearson and Elsevier are available in an online version (for slightly less $) but they need Flash and Internet connectivity to work at the moment. I've taken larger tomes, cut off the covers and binder and fed them through a ScanSnap 1500 so I could use them on my iPad.

Elijahg

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2005
Bath, UK

AI's not posting details anywhere as near as frequently as MacRumors is. Maybe you should have a Mac Blog, iOS Blog, and Biography Blog ;)

Lets not allow the most popular rumour site get a bad reputation over this.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
AI's not posting details anywhere as near as frequently as MacRumors is. Maybe you should have a Mac Blog, iOS Blog, and Biography Blog ;)

Lets not allow the most popular rumour site get a bad reputation over this.

We've made some adjustments. It should be very easy to avoid. Don't read stories titled "Steve Jobs Biography" if you don't want to read spoilers.

arn

koa

macrumors 6502
Jan 8, 2005
Hawaii
Just finished reading The Boy With The Apple Tattoo.

*SPOILER ALERT*

I'm so bummed, the main character dies in the end.

Pentad

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2003
Indiana
With a bit of luck, the book's publishers will soon tell MacRumors to stop violating their copyright. :mad:

Please don't talk about what you don't understand. Copyright and Fairuse allows for reviews and 'tidbits' so they are not violating copyright.

:rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.