Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:49 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Macworld Expo Rebranded as 'Macworld|iWorld' for 2012

For many years, Macworld Expo served as one of the main events for Apple product introductions, with the annual January event in San Francisco in particular being the stage for some important events such as the unveiling of the original iPhone. Apple last presented at Macworld Expo in January 2009, deciding that trade shows were no longer important for allowing the company to reach consumers as the Internet and the company's network of retail stores provided better opportunities for interaction.

Macworld Expo has reinvented itself since 2009, naturally refocusing on third-party companies offering products of interest to Apple users following the loss of Apple's presence. While attendance is down from Apple's last few years of involvement, the event has still been drawing crowds in the neighborhood of 25,000 attendees, and Macworld Expo organizers are now looking to continue rebuilding the show with a new rebranding that will emphasize the rapid increase in visibility of the iOS side of Apple: Macworld|iWorld.
Quote:
"The brand is evolving from Macworld [Expo] to Macworld|iWorld to illustrate that the show is about the whole ecosystem of Apple products," said Paul Kent, the event's vice president and general manager.

The exhibits and conference sessions that have characterized past expos remain with Macworld|iWorld. But show organizers are also adding elements aimed at providing what Kent characterized as a "dynamic culture experience."
Among the new showcases for Macworld|iWorld are the "Music Experience", which features performances and sessions from musicians who use Apple technology, and the "Film Event", which highlights Apple's role in television and movies.

Even with the rebranding, Macworld|iWorld will reportedly retain a heavy OS X presence, with organizers introducing new packages to attract OS X developers.

Macworld|iWorld will be held at the Moscone West convention center in San Francisco from January 26-28, 2012, and registration for the event is now open.

Article Link: Macworld Expo Rebranded as 'Macworld|iWorld' for 2012
MacRumors is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:52 PM   #2
Macopotamus
macrumors regular

Is MacRumors going to rebrand as iRumors? Should I change my username to iopotamus?

Macopotamus is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:52 PM   #3
osx11
macrumors 6502a

Awesome.

iNot!
osx11 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:53 PM   #4
ryuok
macrumors regular

iAmNotInterested
ryuok is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:56 PM   #5
pgwalsh
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to pgwalsh
Ha.. I'm shocked MacWorld is still around. When I was young, I read it a lot, but haven't touched it in 20+ years. I would be interested to see how many readers they have or gained since the rebound of Apple.
pgwalsh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:56 PM   #6
mwayne85
macrumors regular

Deleted

Last edited by mwayne85; Oct 25, 2011 at 03:30 PM.
mwayne85 is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:57 PM   #7
daxomni
macrumors 6502

I guess the Macworld folks finally see the writing on the wall. iOS, the operating system custom designed for content consumption, has obviously become Apple's primary focus over the last few years. Mac OSX, the operating system custom designed for content creation has been taking a back seat for a while now.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:58 PM   #8
Skika
macrumors 68020

iWorld sounds like a name for an Apple themed theme park.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:59 PM   #9
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwayne85 View Post
I would rather it be one or the other. Saying "Hey! I'm going to Macworld iWorld" sounds weird.
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxomni View Post
I guess the Macworld folks finally see the writing on the wall. iOS, the operating system custom designed for lazily consuming the work of others created on much more versatile operating systems, has obviously become Apple's primary focus over the last few years.
Soon they will drop the Mac world, as the MacBooks become large iPads with keyboards...
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:59 PM   #10
Small White Car
macrumors G4

Quote:
I guess the Macworld folks finally see the writing on the wall. iOS, the operating system custom designed for lazily consuming the work of others created on much more versatile operating systems, has obviously become Apple's primary focus over the last few years.
Why is it that Sony never gets made fun of for making broadcast TV cameras and Playstations?

Do you have a problem with that too? Why?
Small White Car is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:59 PM   #11
Zelnaga
macrumors regular

Logo looks a bit shocking!
Zelnaga is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:02 PM   #12
fifthworld
macrumors 6502

Macworld / iWorld is tolerable, but together with iFANEVENT is really ugly.
fifthworld is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:04 PM   #13
porfer
macrumors newbie

iPad event??

Macworld|iWorld will be held at the Moscone West convention center in San Francisco from January 26-28, 2012.. then.. Apple will introduce the new iPad at this event or will wait until March (like this year) to a dedicated iPad event??
porfer is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:04 PM   #14
slicecom
macrumors 68000

iThink that's one of the ugliest logos I've ever seen.
slicecom is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:05 PM   #15
macrumors 65816

why does everything (related Apple or not) have to start theses days with 'i' ...

This is getting old and the 'i' in front of words makes things no better.

iDontUnderstand

and of all the 'i' - words .... iFANEVENT ...??? ... really ???? You must be kidding. That sounds more like an insult.

Last edited by 0815; Oct 25, 2011 at 02:15 PM.
0815 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:05 PM   #16
macse30
macrumors regular

The 2013 iWorld will be held in iFrancisco.
macse30 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:06 PM   #17
Mattsasa
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to Mattsasa
lol

it has a real nice ring to it.... iWorld
Mattsasa is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:08 PM   #18
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

leave the 'i' branding to apple
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:08 PM   #19
apernett
macrumors member

Unfortunate rebranding, unfortunate logo. Ugly. Too long.
apernett is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:09 PM   #20
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgwalsh View Post
Ha.. I'm shocked MacWorld is still around. When I was young, I read it a lot, but haven't touched it in 20+ years. I would be interested to see how many readers they have or gained since the rebound of Apple.
When I made the switch to mac many years ago (first generation intel iMac) I also got a subscription to Macworld since it apperently was 'THE' mac magazine ... well, I never renewed the subscription since by the time the magazine is in the Mailbox all the 'news' in there are old news that nobody cares about anymore since it was already discussed for weeks on various internet sites ...

Fast moving high-tech and slow paper subscription just doesn't work anymore these days.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:14 PM   #21
AQUADock
macrumors 65816

That ifanevent is going to be itastic.
AQUADock is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:19 PM   #22
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by fifthworld View Post
Macworld / iWorld is tolerable, but together with iFANEVENT is really ugly.
Yah, "iFANEVENT" really ruins it. Seems sheepish.
coolfactor is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:20 PM   #23
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Why not just call it AppleWorld? Give everyone complementary apple fritters. Examine core technologies. Peel away the mysteries of iOS.
jayducharme is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:21 PM   #24
coolfactor
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0815 View Post
why does everything (related Apple or not) have to start theses days with 'i' ...

This is getting old and the 'i' in front of words makes things no better.

iDontUnderstand

and of all the 'i' - words .... iFANEVENT ...??? ... really ???? You must be kidding. That sounds more like an insult.
They are just bringing iOS into the fold by adding "iWorld".

Their big mistake with this rebranding is the tagline and "iFANEVENT", that's just wrong and foolish.
coolfactor is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:22 PM   #25
Slurpy2k8
Banned

Quote:
I guess the Macworld folks finally see the writing on the wall. iOS, the operating system custom designed for content consumption, has obviously become Apple's primary focus over the last few years. Mac OSX, the operating system custom designed for content creation has been taking a back seat for a while now.
I've seen these kinds of posts THOUSANDS of times, yet not ONCE have I seen a list of requested features from the posters complaining about the iOS focus about a list of features they want from OSX, that aren't being provided. So, go ahead. I literally can;t think of a single major thing I'd want from a desktop OS that OSX isn't providing. The main improvements I see in the future are related to UI, and making iOS and oSX more consistent. But power features? Really what could they add?? Lion was a fantastic update that added features that are actually useful and practical on a day to day basis.

The battle is currently in the mobile space, and Apple would be idiotic NOT to focus on that. It's where most of the innovation and energy is, for logical and understandable reasons. It's where the money and consumer interest is. It's the future. That's a fact, not an opinion. Do you see what Microsoft is doing with Windows 8? Basically adding a touch skin on top of it, making it windows 7 phone-esque. These kinds of posts are a lazy attempt to complain, without offering a better roadmap than Apple is currently embarking on. You want them to shoot themselves in the foot? Most of their profits and R&D $ is coming from mobile devices, which directly benefits the mac line. My 2011 Macbook Air is the best laptop I've ever used. I'm a designer, and all I use it for is content creation, while hooked up to a 15' monitor. Noone has even begun to match it. Spit out a list of missing features Apple would have added to OSX if iOS didnt exist, or stop with the mindless complaining just for the hell of it.
Slurpy2k8 is offline   13 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion