Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

forty2j

macrumors 68030
Jul 11, 2008
NJ
Come on people think a little bigger - how about home-devices combined with the [presently hypothetical] Siri third party API?

"Siri, it's a little warm in here"
"Siri, set the living room to 70 degrees whenever I'm home."
"Siri, when I leave for work set the house to 78 degrees for 6 hours."

Give it 6 months or so. Siri's API needs to be opened, and I'm sure that's in progress.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
I think it's sexy as hell.

I really hope it comes to Canada soon (including option for Celcius).

Good on him for continuing to innovate.

I really HATE my programmable thermostat, requires a bloody science degree to work it. I just turn it up and down as I come home and leave now.....

WW

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
What if I want the heat to come on 1/2 hour BEFORE I get up so I get up to a warm bedroom.

Do I have to get up 1/2 hour before my usual time for a week to train it to come on before I get up. I have a programmable thermostat that I just set to 1/2 hour before I get up. As far as programming a thermostat - if I can do it - ANYONE can do it.:D

Granted, It looks cool. But I'm not sure that it is a major improvement over available programmable thermostats.

EnergonCube

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2009
Wicked cool and definitely getting one. Does anybody else get the sense this guy is acting very much like Steve Jobs demoing a new product or is just me?

portishead

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2007
los angeles
I preordered one. It's at Best Buy so I can always try it out first. Looks cool, and I've always wanted to be able to control a thermostat from my iPhone. Next will be light/wall socket controls I hope.

Darth.Titan

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
Austin, TX
The question I would like answered is does it have a pet mode? I would hate to come home one winter evening and the thermostat is set to 60 and the cat and dog are both sick. I know it has a motion detector. Is it sensitive enough to pick up the 4-legged habitants of the house? I am sure the temp can just be adjusted from the iPhone app, but if this can done automatically sign me up. Any way I can save money and automate a part of my house I am all for it.

Do you really believe your furry pets can't handle a temperature of 60 degrees?
They wouldn't bat an eye I assure you.

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
...except for a willing car company. No car company would allow a 1024x768 display with GPS/iPhone/handsfree and one that's upgradable when they can charge $3000 for an inferior version as part of a "technology" package.

Except fewer and fewer people are paying those insane prices for them anymore, as cheaper and better alternatives become available (standalone GPS units, iPods, iPhones, etc.). Plus, Apple already has iPod integration with many car manufacturers, this would just be an expansion of that, and they could split the profits with the car dealers and/or companies. Consumers get a better, probably cheaper product, car companies get happy customers more willing to add it to their bill than a non-upgradeable, proprietary piece of junk, and still make money in the process without spending much R&D or support resources (they just provide Apple with access to the car's low level interfaces, Apple writes and upgrades the software, and Apple does the support).

kasei

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Do you really believe your furry pets can't handle a temperature of 60 degrees?
They wouldn't bat an eye I assure you.

Yeah, I would normally say that, but I have a siamese cat and they don't do well in low temps. Discovered that the hard way this summer with the AC.

After looking through the support page and based on what they've said about the programming I am sure median tempt can be set and the system can learn from there.

3N16MA

macrumors 65816
Jul 23, 2009
Space
I think some are missing the point. As was explained in the video only around 10% of programmable thermostats are actually programmed. Most likely due to many not truly understanding how to program them properly because of traditional interfaces. The benefit of a programmable thermostat is not truly being experienced by many.

The Nest Learning Thermostat was made to make the process easier and simpler. Nice easy to understand UI that learns your habits. Traditional thermostats do not account for alterations in your schedule but this one does. It learns what you do and adjusts accordingly. Also the connectivity features are a nice addition.

It's not as flashy as an iPod but it's still innovative.

rva1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
mmm, hmm...
mmm, hmm...
mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm......................

Aeolius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2002
I cannot help but wonder if we are looking at the future; WiFi connected home automation devices replacing the likes of INSTEON, X-10, Z-Wave and the like.

I was already looking forward to Apple opening Siri's API, so that Perceptive Automation could get ahold of it. Then their Indigo application, communicating with INSTEON devices, could turn on lights, open doors, adjust HVAC, detect motion, and more... all using voice activation.

rva1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
"mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm"

Q: Seriously? Can you learn how NOT to say, "mmm, hmm" every 5 friggin' second!?!

A: mmm, hmm

----------

But it's more fun to say it that way.

I am so glad the interviewer wasn't on the software team for Siri...

User: "Siri, remind me to wake up at 6:30am on Wednesday"

Siri: "mmm, hmm":eek:

----------

I preordered one. It's at Best Buy so I can always try it out first. Looks cool, and I've always wanted to be able to control a thermostat from my iPhone. Next will be light/wall socket controls I hope.

mmm, hmm

macnisse

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Looks nice!

Mad-B-One

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2011
San Antonio, Texas
Nice but...

My thermostat is in the hallway - so as long as I don't go to my son's room, it will think I'm not at home... for 250 bucks, I expect sensors for other rooms and outside (since it ca do WiFi) so it actually knows if I am really gone or not. But I guess that is more like future talk.

If he really would have wanted to integrate intelligently, he would have had remote air duct shutters and single room sensors. THAT would have been revolutionary. Other thermostats give me the temperature/mode by hour already for less than that. Doesn't look as good, but hey, that is a lot of money he wants.

Maccleduff

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2007
Ok, this guy seems switched on, and I see where he's coming from on all the points he makes.

But there is a single reason why it looks bad imo. The logo 'nest' is front and centre on the device.

If I were to design any product I would keep the frontfree of ANY logos, cos I just really hate them. Especially words. (Apple logo looks nice because it is a graphical logo.)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.