Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:50 PM   #26
forty2j
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBJammin103 View Post
Come on people think a little bigger - how about home-devices combined with the [presently hypothetical] Siri third party API?

"Siri, it's a little warm in here"
"Siri, set the living room to 70 degrees whenever I'm home."
"Siri, when I leave for work set the house to 78 degrees for 6 hours."
Give it 6 months or so. Siri's API needs to be opened, and I'm sure that's in progress.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 01:59 PM   #27
Wrathwitch
macrumors 65816

I think it's sexy as hell.

I really hope it comes to Canada soon (including option for Celcius).

Good on him for continuing to innovate.

I really HATE my programmable thermostat, requires a bloody science degree to work it. I just turn it up and down as I come home and leave now.....

WW
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:03 PM   #28
longofest
Editor emeritus

Send a message via AIM to longofest
I'll stick to my Carrier thermostat that came with my hybrid heat system. Pretty easy and intuitive to me.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:15 PM   #29
Gemütlichkeit
macrumors 65816

"mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm"
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:16 PM   #30
Shrink
macrumors Demi-God

What if I want the heat to come on 1/2 hour BEFORE I get up so I get up to a warm bedroom.

Do I have to get up 1/2 hour before my usual time for a week to train it to come on before I get up. I have a programmable thermostat that I just set to 1/2 hour before I get up. As far as programming a thermostat - if I can do it - ANYONE can do it.

Granted, It looks cool. But I'm not sure that it is a major improvement over available programmable thermostats.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:21 PM   #31
EnergonCube
macrumors member

Wicked cool and definitely getting one. Does anybody else get the sense this guy is acting very much like Steve Jobs demoing a new product or is just me?
EnergonCube is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:22 PM   #32
portishead
Banned

I preordered one. It's at Best Buy so I can always try it out first. Looks cool, and I've always wanted to be able to control a thermostat from my iPhone. Next will be light/wall socket controls I hope.
portishead is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:32 PM   #33
Darth.Titan
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kasei View Post
The question I would like answered is does it have a pet mode? I would hate to come home one winter evening and the thermostat is set to 60 and the cat and dog are both sick. I know it has a motion detector. Is it sensitive enough to pick up the 4-legged habitants of the house? I am sure the temp can just be adjusted from the iPhone app, but if this can done automatically sign me up. Any way I can save money and automate a part of my house I am all for it.
Do you really believe your furry pets can't handle a temperature of 60 degrees?
They wouldn't bat an eye I assure you.
Darth.Titan is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:45 PM   #34
HiRez
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramuman View Post
...except for a willing car company. No car company would allow a 1024x768 display with GPS/iPhone/handsfree and one that's upgradable when they can charge $3000 for an inferior version as part of a "technology" package.
Except fewer and fewer people are paying those insane prices for them anymore, as cheaper and better alternatives become available (standalone GPS units, iPods, iPhones, etc.). Plus, Apple already has iPod integration with many car manufacturers, this would just be an expansion of that, and they could split the profits with the car dealers and/or companies. Consumers get a better, probably cheaper product, car companies get happy customers more willing to add it to their bill than a non-upgradeable, proprietary piece of junk, and still make money in the process without spending much R&D or support resources (they just provide Apple with access to the car's low level interfaces, Apple writes and upgrades the software, and Apple does the support).
Old Oct 25, 2011, 02:47 PM   #35
G4-power
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to G4-power Send a message via MSN to G4-power Send a message via Skype™ to G4-power
Pretty cool. Seems like a clever product. I want one (or more) of those. First I need to get my own house, though.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:22 PM   #36
kasei
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth.Titan View Post
Yeah, I would normally say that, but I have a siamese cat and they don't do well in low temps. Discovered that the hard way this summer with the AC.

After looking through the support page and based on what they've said about the programming I am sure median tempt can be set and the system can learn from there.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:28 PM   #37
3N16MA
macrumors 6502a

I think some are missing the point. As was explained in the video only around 10% of programmable thermostats are actually programmed. Most likely due to many not truly understanding how to program them properly because of traditional interfaces. The benefit of a programmable thermostat is not truly being experienced by many.

The Nest Learning Thermostat was made to make the process easier and simpler. Nice easy to understand UI that learns your habits. Traditional thermostats do not account for alterations in your schedule but this one does. It learns what you do and adjusts accordingly. Also the connectivity features are a nice addition.

It's not as flashy as an iPod but it's still innovative.
3N16MA is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:38 PM   #38
lolnick
macrumors member

Why havent people figured out you dont need to say "Siri,_______"
lolnick is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:41 PM   #39
rva1
macrumors member

mmm, hmm...
mmm, hmm...
mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm, mmm, hmm......................

Mediocrity is epidemic
rva1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:43 PM   #40
davidwarren
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolnick View Post
Why havent people figured out you dont need to say "Siri,_______"
But it's more fun to say it that way.
davidwarren is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:43 PM   #41
Aeolius
macrumors 6502a

I cannot help but wonder if we are looking at the future; WiFi connected home automation devices replacing the likes of INSTEON, X-10, Z-Wave and the like.

I was already looking forward to Apple opening Siri's API, so that Perceptive Automation could get ahold of it. Then their Indigo application, communicating with INSTEON devices, could turn on lights, open doors, adjust HVAC, detect motion, and more... all using voice activation.
Aeolius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:46 PM   #42
rva1
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemütlichkeit View Post
"mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm...mmhmm"
Q: Seriously? Can you learn how NOT to say, "mmm, hmm" every 5 friggin' second!?!

A: mmm, hmm

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwarren View Post
But it's more fun to say it that way.
I am so glad the interviewer wasn't on the software team for Siri...

User: "Siri, remind me to wake up at 6:30am on Wednesday"

Siri: "mmm, hmm"

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
I preordered one. It's at Best Buy so I can always try it out first. Looks cool, and I've always wanted to be able to control a thermostat from my iPhone. Next will be light/wall socket controls I hope.
mmm, hmm

Mediocrity is epidemic
rva1 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:49 PM   #43
Drumjim85
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth.Titan View Post
My furry pet would hibernate and die if it got below 70.

Last edited by Drumjim85; Oct 25, 2011 at 04:58 PM.
Drumjim85 is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:50 PM   #44
macnisse
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Looks nice!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:53 PM   #45
Aeolius
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by portishead View Post
Next will be light/wall socket controls I hope.
Indigo Touch (iOS app) + Indigo (OS X application) + INSTEON Light Switch
Aeolius is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 03:59 PM   #46
HarryKeogh
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrathwitch View Post
I think it's sexy as hell.
A sexy thermostat? Oh for eff's sake.
HarryKeogh is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:08 PM   #47
Mad-B-One
macrumors 6502a

Nice but...

My thermostat is in the hallway - so as long as I don't go to my son's room, it will think I'm not at home... for 250 bucks, I expect sensors for other rooms and outside (since it ca do WiFi) so it actually knows if I am really gone or not. But I guess that is more like future talk.

If he really would have wanted to integrate intelligently, he would have had remote air duct shutters and single room sensors. THAT would have been revolutionary. Other thermostats give me the temperature/mode by hour already for less than that. Doesn't look as good, but hey, that is a lot of money he wants.
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:08 PM   #48
room237
macrumors 6502

How many songs does it hold?

room237 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:25 PM   #49
Kissaragi
macrumors 68000

Id take any thermostat that bloody works at the moment! This does look cool tho
Kissaragi is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2011, 04:32 PM   #50
Maccleduff
macrumors regular

Ok, this guy seems switched on, and I see where he's coming from on all the points he makes.

But there is a single reason why it looks bad imo. The logo 'nest' is front and centre on the device.

If I were to design any product I would keep the frontfree of ANY logos, cos I just really hate them. Especially words. (Apple logo looks nice because it is a graphical logo.)
Maccleduff is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion