Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TMar

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
Ky
Check out their financial breakdowns - iTunes is practically a break-even business. They make far more money on iOS devices, iPods, and on Apple hardware.

Yes, thank you take part of what I said out of context and ignore the rest. Point well taken.
No.

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
How's that? Millions of people choose an Android device over and Apple all the time. Say Timmy over here for whatever reason will never spend his money on Apple hardware but that's not to say he wouldn't use itunes for Android. Apple was never going to get his money from hardware sales or media sales through itunes because of this.
Really? You actually believe that? Who cares about Timmy? Apple does not need to appease zealots and Android zealots would not use iTunes anyway.

Most Android "sales" are "free" phones given away for contracts or simply because their carrier did not have iPhones on their carrier at the time. Until the launch of the iPhone 4S, no iPhones were available on Sprint in the US and the same think with KDDI in Japan.

As Siri says, Android is a false choice. People like "free" which is why so many are flocking from Android over to free iPhone 3GS's.

coolfactor

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I could have sworn that Apple sold music, movies and more through itunes, damn...

Recent surveys have also concluded that iOS users spend more money online than Android users. So just one more reason to avoid the cheapies. It would do nothing significant for Apple.

devilbond

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2010
Another Bioleaks article?

My 2 cents, but I'd prefer not to have a summation of every tidbit from the book fill every space on MacRumors for the next 2 months.

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
Really? You actually believe that? Who cares about Timmy? Apple does not need to appease zealots and Android zealots would not use iTunes anyway.

Most Android "sales" are "free" phones given away for contracts or simply because their carrier did not have iPhones on their carrier at the time. Until the launch of the iPhone 4S, no iPhones were available on Sprint in the US and the same think with KDDI in Japan.

As Siri says, Android is a false choice. People like "free" which is why so many are flocking from Android over to free iPhone 3GS's.

Recent surveys have also concluded that iOS users spend more money online than Android users. So just one more reason to avoid the cheapies. It would do nothing significant for Apple.

The both of you point out exactly the kind of Android users that I have personally encountered; 1) Zealots and 2) Cheap people.

The zealots are the über-geeks who are typically Apple haters to begin with and/or think they have a superior product in their device running Android. The cheapos are self-explanatory. There won't be a conversion of the zealots but the cheapos however, will flock to what ever is free.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
Wow, sometimes I imagine what Apple would be like if Jobs always got his way. Under that magical veneer, there is a lot of conflict going on. I'm a bit hesitant to read the bio because I wish that Jobs be a role model. But I guess Jobs himself wanted to show himself as-is.

Tiggs

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2011
Windows NT 4.0 was a very solid operating system. I would have bought an iMac with NT on it.

People seem a bit confused in associating these 2 together as they are separate things. The Windows NT Macs were under Amelio. The iMacs were almost 2yrs later under Jobs. No such thing as some weird iMac/Windows NT cross. PowerMac/Windows NT machine maybe if anything.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
While it seems a given that the iPod was to be made compatible with Windows, Jobs was very resistant to the idea. At one point he said that Windows users would get to use the iPod "over my dead body". After continued convincing, Jobs gave up:
"Screw it," he said at one meeting where they showed him the analysis. "I'm sick of listening to you *******s. Go do whatever the hell you want."

That's a part I never would have guessed.

Making iTunes and therefore iPod available for Windows users was a brilliant idea! It had two spinoffs: A large iTunes Music Store and the "Halo effect".
Man, I know so many people who never experienced an Apple product back then. The iPod with iTunes for Windows opened so many doors....

To think Steve didn't see this one....

That does make me realise that Tim and his team really, really know what they are doing. :cool::apple:

smulji

macrumors 68030
Feb 21, 2011
That's a part I never would have guessed.

Making iTunes and therefore iPod available for Windows users was a brilliant idea! It had two spinoffs: A large iTunes Music Store and the "Halo effect".
Man, I know so many people who never experienced an Apple product back then. The iPod with iTunes for Windows opened so many doors....

To think Steve didn't see this one....

That does make me realise that Tim and his team really, really know what they are doing. :cool::apple:

"That does make me realise that Tim and his team really, really know what they are doing.

They didn't get to where they are by being stupid that's for sure. Apple has a ton of wicked smart people, both creative & technical.

robecq

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Denmark
apple clone

Didn't Apple License the Apple][ back in the 80's? I remember my parents having a Qcal apple clone.

Negritude

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2011
The zealots are the über-geeks who are typically Apple haters to begin...

There are also über-geeks who are Apple lovers, we just use our Apple products differently than the masses. We love Apple for rational rather than emotional reasons.

I notice the tendency for disdain of the Apple geek-community amongst certain types. They assume that every Apple fan is a non-techie. Sad.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
"That does make me realise that Tim and his team really, really know what they are doing.

They didn't get to where they are by being stupid that's for sure. Apple has a ton of wicked smart people, both creative & technical.

Of course.
But what I mean is that these guys convinced Steve to do the right thing here, surely not the easiest thing to do.
They knew what to do, and how to do it, even when Steve opposed.

That's gives me a very, very reassuring feeling! :)

gullySn0wCat

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Apple may have lots of bright people working for them but it seems there are/were some stupid fools. Window NT based iMac? I'll buy it just so I can burn it in my backyard. Ugh....

NT is actually quite solid. It is all of the legacy support and bloat that has held Wind0ze back, even way back in the DOS days.

Fwink!

macrumors member
Mar 5, 2002
Earth
at the time the rumor was that apple was looking at Be os, and maybe another one. I don't think windows NT was an option.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Could you imagine if he still never released iTunes for Windows?

The iPod, iPad and iPhones would have pretty much been a flop.

The majority of iDevice users are running Windows.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
Exactly the reason why. They are not used to seamless things.
Garbage. I'm a big Apple fan, my house is full of Macs and iStuff, but my Android phone gets as much use as any of them. It may pain you to hear it, but it Just Works. (In any case, iTunes is the least 'seamless' piece of software Apple have ever produced... It gets worse with every release.)

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
My sister got an Android phone specifically to avoid iTunes. It was #1 on her list of priorities. I've never had a problem with iTunes, but whatever.

I've not had a problem with iTunes either.

But THEN...

Then I discovered Android. Now a few years and several Android models later, to be free of a hardwired connection to iTunes, and iTunes itself is just fantastic.

A stand alone wireless Android phone like my SGSII is simply wonderful.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
I don't think you'll find many who will defend Amelio.

I'll do it then. Compare the state that Apple was in when Amelio joined, with the state that Apple was in when Amelio left. Amelio took over a completely ********* up company, kept it alive, killed the bloody Copland project so that MacOS actually made progress again, bought NeXT, and hired the guy who he had to know would replace himself. By the rule that second class managers hire third class people, and first class managers hire first class people, Gil Amelio was a slightly better than first class CEO.

OllyW

Staff member
Oct 11, 2005
The Black Country, England
While it seems a given that the iPod was to be made compatible with Windows, Jobs was very resistant to the idea. At one point he said that Windows users would get to use the iPod "over my dead body".

Could you imagine if he still never released iTunes for Windows?

The iPod, iPad and iPhones would have pretty much been a flop.

The majority of iDevice users are running Windows.

Making the iPod Windows & USB compatible and releasing iTunes for Windows was the kick start to Apple's current success. I wonder if Steve Jobs ever admitted he got that wrong?

shompa

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
My sister got an Android phone specifically to avoid iTunes. It was #1 on her list of priorities. I've never had a problem with iTunes, but whatever.

Many "PCs" hate to use iTunes.
They love to drag and drop inside Windows explorer.
They don't understand syncing, podcasts, automatic downloads and so on. What you don't know about, you don't miss. That is the secret of Windows success.

Name folders and sort music, photos and files.

I have Apple switchers that hate iTunes since they can't see where the files are.

I tell them: It does not matter where the files are stores. Its the computers job to make it easier for you. Let the computer sort the files and organize them. Use iTunes to make playlists and what you want to sync to you iDevices.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
iDevice proliferation even then was so great that Apple could afford to make iTunes exclusive to them and not include Android. Then, it becomes a key-selling point, not a licensed-out feature designed to make up for your own ecosystem shortfalls.

Timing is everything. Now, Apple can well afford to pursue exclusivity all the way. The Apple ecosystem is expansive and growing. It is self-sustaining.

Last edited:

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Many "PCs" hate to use iTunes.
They love to drag and drop inside Windows explorer.
They don't understand syncing, podcasts, automatic downloads and so on. What you don't know about, you don't miss. That is the secret of Windows success.

Name folders and sort music, photos and files.

I have Apple switchers that hate iTunes since they can't see where the files are.

I tell them: It does not matter where the files are stores. Its the computers job to make it easier for you. Let the computer sort the files and organize them. Use iTunes to make playlists and what you want to sync to you iDevices.

Its that same reason I cannot stand using any kind of Photo Software to organize my Pictures, I love knowing they're exactly where I put them, in their folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.