Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

monkeylui

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
A Galaxy far, far away
I let it sit overnight and it wouldn't stop. Hard reset of iPhone 4s, restarted iTunes. Tried sync again....still doing it. I know I don't really have to have it sync'd with the mac, but it's nice to have it synced. :confused:

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I let it sit overnight and it wouldn't stop. Hard reset of iPhone 4s, restarted iTunes. Tried sync again....still doing it. I know I don't really have to have it sync'd with the mac, but it's nice to have it synced. :confused:

I had this problem too with one of my upgraded phones (my son's iP 4). Had to do a wipe and set up as new to get past the issue. Several posts on Apple's forums suggest others with the same problem. Sounds like something Apple will have to address.

I did notice that the phone would sync (data/music/video/apps) would be transferred but the process wouldn't end properly. Pulling the plug seemed to have no ill effects and the content still got moved to the phone.

macbookpro45

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2010
I would suggest deleting some of your apps/most of your apps. I had a similar issue with my ip4 upgrading to ios5, and I had 200+apps. I deleted half of them, tried to resync and everything worked like usual.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
I just randomly got this. First time I canceled the sync and disconnected the phone, it still thought it was syncing and wouldn't let me re-sync until I restarted the phone.

Second time, I noticed in iTunes when I had the iPhone select the Revert/Apply buttons were enabled, as if I had made some change (which I didn't, at least knowingly). I canceled the sync, hit Apply and re-synced and it worked fine.

:confused:

Critterbug

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2011
Foster City, CA
Same with 3 GS

I'm having the same problem with my 3 GS. The sync seems to go ok, but it gets stuck on "copying items". I left it overnight as well. Disabled wi-fi sync, un-synced everything, restored, everything! Still doing it. In fact, the cancel sync in iTunes is disabled as well. I have to cancel the sync on the phone in the sync using wi-fi setting.
In iTunes it lists 8 steps to sync. On the phone it lists 4. Not being a techie, I don't understand this either.
I've got a MacBook Pro running Lion with iTunes 10.5, the phone is running IOS 5, (duh). Have so looked forward to being able to flag certain emails on phone. Such a help for work.
I need to back up and sync for work every day. Using MM for Mail, Contact, and Calendars. Just really need my podcasts!
I'm wondering if I need to uninstall and re-install iTunes. I've heard that could help, but I don't really know how to do this without losing my stuff.
Restore as new is last ditch effort. Not ready for it yet.
Any suggestions would be muchly appreciated.

Last edited:

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Yes it's always on.

For now I'm not going to sync. Not really a reason too. Just nice to have everything the same.

I wouldn't say there isn't a reason to not sync. I would say there is. When you sync the iOS device the backup in iTunes on the computer is also updated. If you don't sync regularly when it comes to restoring the phone from back you won't have the latest data in the back up file and you may lose certain things as a result. At the very least if you don't sync you need to make a manual back in iTunes on a regular basis.

monkeylui

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2011
A Galaxy far, far away
I wouldn't say there isn't a reason to not sync. I would say there is. When you sync the iOS device the backup in iTunes on the computer is also updated. If you don't sync regularly when it comes to restoring the phone from back you won't have the latest data in the back up file and you may lose certain things as a result. At the very least if you don't sync you need to make a manual back in iTunes on a regular basis.

True, though I'm using iCloud to back up. And when I download something on my iPhone or iPad, such as a book on ibooks this morning, it was already downloading on iTunes. So technically it is in sync.

twocheap

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
waiting for changes to be applied

Go to iSync in Application folder and so a sync reset and it should fix your problem.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This is related to VOICE MEMOS.

After syncing your voice memos to your PC/Mac (or you can use iFunbox on PC to copy out all voice memos to backup [no JB needed]), you can remove all the voice memos in the app on your phone and then try to sync again.

This should solve your problem.

But please do a backup of your voice memos first.

sassenach74

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2008
Spain

After syncing your voice memos to your PC/Mac (or you can use iFunbox on PC to copy out all voice memos to backup [no JB needed]), you can remove all the voice memos in the app on your phone and then try to sync again.

I had the same problem, but for me it was custom ringtones causing the issue, on both my iPad and iPhone 4S. Also when I turned off the ringtones checkbox to synchronise them off, it didn't get rid of them all and I had to use iExplorer (formerly known as iPhone Explorer) to get rid of the last few.

Hope this helps some people.

Neil.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Yeah, I tried everything. Ultimately I just did a restore to factory, set up as new, then reloaded data from iCloud. While I had to resync my apps, music and photos, my app data didn't get lost since it was stored on iCloud.

But definitely make sure EVERYTHING is backed up before doing a complete wipe.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
I hope a future update sorts out the problems with voice memos. I occasionally have to use third party sorftware to get important voice memos off my phone and, since iOS 5, have to change the 'media kind' to music before I can copy them to my iPad. I've also had to restore my phone twice in the past to reclaim space left after deleting memos. They're the one thing that stop my devices working as they should.

rkeato1

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2011

For me, it seems like iTunes is trying to sync and download my previous purchases, even though they're already on my iPhone... this is re: music, specifically. The song titles show up as duplicates, one greyed out awaiting a sync that never happens.

spartanrob

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2008
I don't have any votive memos. It won't sync my photos. Very frustrated

UPDATE: So, after 2 restores, multiple reboots here is how I fixed my issues. I performed a sync with only one folder selected under sync Photos (I don't sync my entire photo library). That was successfully, so I repeated it and added one more. Then I repeated again and added a few more. Eventually, i synced about 10 times, adding a couple folders each time. Think i'm finally good. What a pain.

Last edited:

umiwangu

macrumors 6502
Sep 4, 2006
Malawi
I found out it was my "voice memos" that was hanging my iPhone 4 up.

http://peter.upfold.org.uk/blog/201...o-ios-5-waiting-for-items-to-copy-sync-issue/

Worked for me too... I had a corrupted voice memo (it happened when I was recording and the battery ran out.

The strange thing is that the voice memo that was corrupted doesn't show up on the iPhone, but it does show up as being on the iPhone when I view it in iTunes.

Anyway. Sync is working for me now after deleting memos on the iPhone and in iTunes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.