Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

f*ckimsly

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2009
update?

so is there ever going to be a driver update for fable TLC on mac?
it doesn't run in lion at all, and even if i run snow leopard it won't work with my graphics cards on my new MacBook Pro 2011. they should really stop selling it if they won't even support being played on a modern mac! waste of money!

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
So you ever gonna contact their customer support or is your only post with a 2 year old account going to be about you waiting for your problem to fix itself without telling anyone you have a problem?

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
so is there ever going to be a driver update for fable TLC on mac?
it doesn't run in lion at all, and even if i run snow leopard it won't work with my graphics cards on my new MacBook Pro 2011. they should really stop selling it if they won't even support being played on a modern mac! waste of money!

On most Mac's the game should run fine in Lion (& Snow Leopard) however some machines and cards have some problems. 10.7.2 solved a lot of the problems but if the problems on your Mac still persist after running the latest version of the game and the latest patch of Lion please contact support and we can look into the issue on your Mac.

Edwin

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Seeing this topic come up, I decided to pop in my copy of Fable TLC, and noticed some awful clipping issues that never showed up before. I am patched to current and despite a dozen changes to my video settings, I get some really weird issues with my toons hair disappearing or other oddities.

The game ran perfect under Snow Leopard and the move to Lion didn't give me any issues but with my 320m powered 13" MBP, I get some real strangeness.

Performance is still top notch even when playing at native resolution on a ACD (2650x1440) but the poly clipping really kills my favorite Xbox title brought to my Mac.

I have the horsepower to run this game incredibly well (ran beautifully in SL) and one single driver update killed my fun. Change direction, the hair on my character looks like Patrick Stewart, mouse around a bit more and it's all good then my hair is gone and taking up a quarter of my monitor again. :(

One example taken with my *gasp* BlackBerry attached.

Attachments

• IMG-20111024-00099.jpg
    IMG-20111024-00099.jpg
    447.6 KB · Views: 110

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Seeing this topic come up, I decided to pop in my copy of Fable TLC, and noticed some awful clipping issues that never showed up before. I am patched to current and despite a dozen changes to my video settings, I get some really weird issues with my toons hair disappearing or other oddities.

The game ran perfect under Snow Leopard and the move to Lion didn't give me any issues but with my 320m powered 13" MBP, I get some real strangeness.

Performance is still top notch even when playing at native resolution on a ACD (2650x1440) but the poly clipping really kills my favorite Xbox title brought to my Mac.

I have the horsepower to run this game incredibly well (ran beautifully in SL) and one single driver update killed my fun. Change direction, the hair on my character looks like Patrick Stewart, mouse around a bit more and it's all good then my hair is gone and taking up a quarter of my monitor again. :(

One example taken with my *gasp* BlackBerry attached.

Checked with support that is a bug with NV drivers in Lion. Checked with dev and we have someone working on a workaround although with all the new games in development I don't have a patch date.

Cheers,

Edwin

Last edited:

Ungibbed

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2010
USA
Checked with support that is a bug with NV drivers in Lion. Checked with dev and we have someone working on a workaround although with all the new games in development I don't have a patch.

Cheers,

Edwin

Dang, I hope a patch does happen. I love this game and after using Lion a bit, despite the removal of one of my most often used applications (Front Row), it would be a pain to go back. I'm going to have to go through the rest of my Mac games to see if issues came up since 10.7.2 was released and there's a couple I haven't played since I updated to Lion a couple months ago.

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Dang, I hope a patch does happen. I love this game and after using Lion a bit, despite the removal of one of my most often used applications (Front Row), it would be a pain to go back. I'm going to have to go through the rest of my Mac games to see if issues came up since 10.7.2 was released and there's a couple I haven't played since I updated to Lion a couple months ago.

It WILL happen I just cannot give out a public date on the forums. PM me if you are inserted in helping with the beta I will see what I can do when the time comes.

Edwin

Vanon

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
It WILL happen I just cannot give out a public date on the forums. PM me if you are inserted in helping with the beta I will see what I can do when the time comes.

Edwin

I'm interested :mad:!

Just bought the game and it's just impossible to play... do something guys!

Take a look:

This "stuff" happens after 10/15 mins of play:eek:

Oh and by the way the main character is always bald in my game.... :D

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I'm interested :mad:!

Just bought the game and it's just impossible to play... do something guys!

Take a look:

This "stuff" happens after 10/15 mins of play:eek:

Oh and by the way the main character is always bald in my game.... :D

These issues you are seeing are caused by bugs in the graphics drivers that ship with OS X Lion, the game has worked fine on every OS since 10.4 without any major trouble. When the odd issue occurred in the past we patched the game.

As I said earlier we are working on a patch for Lion but I don't have a date for you at this time.

Edwin

deadwulfe

macrumors 6502a
Feb 18, 2010
I found this discussion article useful in gaining an understanding of what's involved in getting updated/fixed drivers on the Mac OS. Even though it's specific to AMD's GPU's, I imagine the process for nVidia isn't much different.

In short, game developers provide information, data, and examples, but the GPU maker is responsible for making their hardware work with Apple's interface:

Inside Mac Games Feature: Part I: AMD's Mac 3D Manager Discusses Graphics Cards

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
I found this discussion article useful in gaining an understanding of what's involved in getting updated/fixed drivers on the Mac OS. Even though it's specific to AMD's GPU's, I imagine the process for nVidia isn't much different.

In short, game developers provide information, data, and examples, but the GPU maker is responsible for making their hardware work with Apple's interface:

Inside Mac Games Feature: Part I: AMD's Mac 3D Manager Discusses Graphics Cards

I have known Chris Bentley of AMD for years, him and the rest of the team are great guys to work with. Every Mac game I have worked on we have kept in touch with them during development to get the games running well as possible on AMD/ATI hardware.

The Mac team at AMD might not be as big as the PC team but they do a great job and deserve all the credit they get. Even on the rare occasion ;) we find a bug in an AMD card they work with us to get it fixed or come up with a work around.

I know this might seem a bit too much high praise but Chris has been a great help to the Mac gaming community over the years so I am glad he is getting a little recognition!

Edwin

edddeduck

macrumors 68020
Mar 26, 2004
Should run fine it's a pretty old game so your card will not have to much trouble.

Edwin

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.