Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I don't know how many times I have been in an Apple Store with product in hand waiting for some young/hip guy or girl to just take my money...and waiting...and waiting.

Not sure why it's difficult for you. There are multiple ways:

Ask the front door person, they always help at all the Apple Stores I've been to
Get on iPad and call for assistance
You can also reach out to get someone to help you

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
So I don't see the advantage of picking your purchases at the Apple Store
As mentioned, a lot of people have problems because the package might stay out on their doorstep, or not be delivered if they're not there. Some people just don't have the time to wait for a delivery man who may arrive between this-hour-and-that-hour. The advantage of picking it up in the store is that you get to choose what time you get it. You don't have to wait for the delivery man to arrive.

And some people, as said, don't want others in the house to know what they've bought.

But there's another advantage to this. Someone mentioned travel. If you were traveling to, say, San Francisco on business or vacation and had to have some new item from Apple by the time you arrived there, you could have it delivered to one of the San Francisco Apple stores. It would be reassuring to know it would be waiting for you when you arrived, especially if you weren't sure where you were going to be staying when you ordered the item.

If you can call the store and find out if the item arrived, even better. You pick it up when you want, and where you want.

LeiQQ

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
Taipei, Taiwan
This would make my life so much easier in NYC. The last time I ordered my custom configured mac, UPS left it in front of my apartment door. Unbelievable.

If I could just pick it up at my local Applestore that would be great.

When I bought my Dad the first mac mini as a Christmas gift, UPS left it outside--in the snow. Luckily my cousin found it (I sent it to her place to wrap and surprise my Dad--I live outside the country).

mobi

macrumors 6502
Jul 26, 2004
Penn's Woods
This could be a great feature for customers that know what they want and need the in-and-out purchase experience!

Now can they offer the 24minute guarantee that "old" Circuit City once offered...scored a couple gift cards from them :)

Tec972

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2010
This is really no big deal!! What service is really being offered? People weren't smart enough to call a local apple store and see if what they wanted was in stock anyway. This is not revolutionary.

Why would anyone order a BTO system and then go out to the store to pick it up when it would take the same amount of time to have it shipped to your house and save you an unnecessary trip to a store for no reason???

Seasought

macrumors 65816
Nov 3, 2005
Unless "pickups" will be handled differently (take a number, express "isle", etc.) than the typical "game" of trying to have someone check you out, I will continue to avoid the whole "experience".
...:

That would be the only incentive for me to make the drive over to the store, honestly. I enjoy the stores, but when it comes to actually buying something at one, not so much.

thirteen1031

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2004
This is really no big deal!! What service is really being offered? People weren't smart enough to call a local apple store and see if what they wanted was in stock anyway. This is not revolutionary.
Who here or in the original post called it "revolutionary"? Oh, gosh, look at that...no one. :rolleyes: Hyperbolize much?

All we're saying that this is nice and could be useful. As for "being smart enough" to see if what you want is in stock rather than ordering it on-line and facing delivery problems...what about a Macbook Air 11" with 256g hard drive?

Is it in stock? Uh-oh, no it's not because it's only available from the on-line store! :eek: So, Mr. Smart, how are you going to get that Macbook Air at your local brick-and-mortar store? Because you want to avoid it being left out in the snow by a stupid delivery person, or it's a gift for someone in your household and you don't want the person you're giving it to to open the door and maybe find out about it. Come on, you're smart...how can you get this item at your local store if it's only available on-line?

Well, hey, Howdy, you can now have it delivered to your local store! Which may not be amazing, revolutionary, or a big deal. But it is nice.

Ingot

macrumors 6502
Mar 24, 2010
In Portugal if the purchase is above X Euros, they deliver it to the clients' place for free, I reckon this happens in the US as well (?).

So I don't see the advantage of picking your purchases at the Apple Store when you get it delivered for free? (unless we are talking purchases lower than that limit and it would be cheaper to get them yourslef, or if at the US they always charge for the delivery...)

This is true across the pond here in North America. Some people would find it easier to pick up at a store rather than have it delivered at home. UPS and FEDEX always seem to come when no one is around so I end up having to go get it anyways. Just one example.

Antares

macrumors 68000
How does this work with taxes? Aren't the taxes based on the billing address, not where its shipped?

So, if I buy a custom configuration online, and pick it at a store in a state that has no sales tax, I will still be charged a tax because my billing address is in a state with sales tax?

Once this pilot expands to tax free states, I will be curious to test this out.

ThanksSteve

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2011
Very helpful for those living in apartment complexes. Tough to get shipping if you are at work during shipping hours.

Nostromo

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2009
Deep Space
Excellent solution.

Getting expensive items through online ordering can be troublesome for expensive items that require signature.

Much nicer to pick up your computer at the Apple store in style.

Sackvillenb

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
Canada! \m/
I hope other stores start doing this.

I hate it when products are shipped by ups and FedEx and similar companies. You know why? They only deliver during 9 to 5 hours, more or less. Are most people home 9 to 5? Nope. Not if you have a job.

So these companies purpose is to deliver things when you are not home, which means you have to pick up the package from their building, which in my case is super far away, so in the end there's not much point in these services existing in the first place. And that's my rant for today.

roxnadz

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2006
Meh, this thing still has some kinks to work out.

I tried to pick up something that the system said was available, yet when the woman helping me checked for it, it wasn't.

Clearly there are still a few bugs in the system. And no, it's not revolutionary in the least.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Great for FedEx phobia

This is great news for people with an irrational fear of delivery vans.
I bet Adrian Monk suggested this to Apple. ;-)

But seriously, this could solve the problem of your not being home when your Apple goods are delivered. Especially with build-to-order items (and custom engraved items?) But for standard box-stock items you could just walk into the Apple store and buy them on the spot with no extra effort.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.