Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
I find this more original than the actual Android... at least they "try" to innovate.

The OS definitely Metro is really quite cool. Performance and capability aren’t quite there yet, though I haven’t tried Mango yet. It’s definitely far more thought out and polished than Android; Microsoft has done a really impressive job.

Android keep disappointing me. I was a big fan of Matias Duarte’s work at Palm, but every Android release since his arrival at Google has been dull. I can’t tell if Google’s notoriously bureaucratic design process is hindering him, if his team isn’t as good as it was at Palm, or if his team at Palm made him look better than he actually is.

Taz Mangus

macrumors 604
Mar 10, 2011
My first thought when I saw that phone was UGLY! Coupled with the brillant Metro interface, Nokia has a winner on their hands. It is really a shame that Apple missed out on copying that phone and its UI :rolleyes:

I will say this, at least Nokia and MS have created a truely unique phone and UI. Too bad more companies don't follow that trend, such Google and all the Android phone manufacturers.

Chunk Style

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
To lift from the Simpsons, putting this story on page one makes "MacRumors" about as accurate a title as "Naked Lunch."

And it highlights the over-emphasis on the iPhone, as well. When Dell comes out with a new crappy laptop, does that make news on this site?

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
The 800 looks interesting & Desirable but the price-point (420 euros) sounds a bit high considering the features, and current competition from Android and iOS.

Sumimasen

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2009
800 looks nice...can you guys tell if that blue is anodized aluminim?? The 800 does not look like plastic...if it is metal and glass screen (capacaitive), they might have a chance againt iPhone.....(at least for people who care more about quality of materials vs. operating system)

I believe the screen is gorilla glass, but the rest of the casing is polycarbonate. So Engadget says.

gusmiranda

macrumors newbie
Dec 26, 2006
quito - ecuador
Nlue nokia or two iPod nanos stacked on top of each other?

Am i seeing things or the one on the left looks just like two iPod nano on top of each other? New designs?¿ BS

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008
Whats this have to do with MACRUMORS?

I'm asking the same question. Why not post news about all new phones and computers, if this belongs here? But then it wouldn't be macrumors anymore would it? But a generic techblog.

Last edited:

andybrown44

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2011
Hull, UK
To lift from the Simpsons, putting this story on page one makes "MacRumors" about as accurate a title as "Naked Lunch."

And it highlights the over-emphasis on the iPhone, as well. When Dell comes out with a new crappy laptop, does that make news on this site?

When Apple releases a new MacBook do they create a huge media buzz and does it get reported across the world?

There's emphasis on iPhone because people are extremely interested in it. iOS devices are probably the main reason people come to this site.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
Gotta love Windows Phone 7

The software is amazing. It's not tightly integrated as iOS but is definitely becoming better day by day.

It's new; its original and not just a ripoff. From apps to UI, it breaths originality and great seamless user experience. I have used HTC Mozart 7 which I got for my mom. Although the software is not straight forward, as my mom says, its still usable by at least a considerable amount of people who can easily use iOS.

The platform may have some 35k apps, but honestly, the apps are no where near to iOS. The quality and number is both lacking + Microsoft doesn't provide good APIs so that they apps may differentiate themselves. iOS has the best APIs on the planet for UI customisation and UI design which the others can only dream of. WP7/7.5 schema for design and implementation revolves around left/right scroll; so all apps are more or less the same - absolutely monotonous.

I have been using iPhone4S for 3 days and good lord, its the best thing I've ever used. I could never get the amount of apps and good apps on any other platform. Battery life's good as compared to HTC Mozart 7 even though it has a lot of location based stuff - runs on dual core processor with graphic intensive apps.

Summary - Anybody looking for a non-iOS/non-Apple platform - WP7,5 is the way to go.

Well done Microsoft. For once, I believe you have originality and conviction of making something better.

EDIT: As for the phone and the topic - the phone looks great but I can only wonder how uncomfortable would it be to actually use it given it has unyielding corners which may prove to be very uncomfortable in actual use.

vincebio

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2005
Glasgow
to the MODS :

for the sake of your readers and supporters, remove this.

this isn't a general technology blog....we don't log into macrumors to hear about nokia and microsoft joint ventures...

very disappointing....and sadly reflective of the dwindling quality of the posts on the main page

MCP-511

macrumors member
Oct 18, 2010
The turquoise model is an excellent choice for those that wish to stay color coordinated when the blue screen of death appears. Seriously though, tiles are for walking on.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.