Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dcuellar

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2010
All that means is that they have capacity. That doesn't mean they know how to use it. However, this reminds me of something my grandfather told me before he died: With great capacity comes great responsability.

/Goes off to be Spiderman :eek:

True. Let's hope they've learned from MobileMe and forecasted usage correctly.

Hell, you would think after the iPhone 4 preorder fiasco they would have learned and prepared for the 4S.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Whoa, whoa, whoa - wait a minute! This makes it sound like only desktop iTunes users with Macs, not Windows PCs, will be able to use iTunes Match.

Did Apple ever say this anywhere? Is there any authoritative source of information that has explicitly ruled out iTunes for Windows users?

It will in fact work with Windows. In fact it is working in Windows right now!
Screen%20Shot%202011-10-26%20at%209.11.52%20PM.png

exhibit.b

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.0.2;FBBV/4020.0;FBDV/iPhone2,1;FBMD/iPhone;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0;FBSS/1; FBCR/AT&T;FBID/phone;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/1.0])

Here's my question: let's say I have 4 gigs of music on my phone of a 32 gig library. Can I make a genius playlist that pulls from all 32 gigs and pull down songs as needed, or will it only use the 4 gigs on my phone?

nope. could not get genius to work during the beta. hopefully that issue will be resolved.

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
I wonder if there will be a streaming app for this anytime in the near feature. That would be so cool. There's a recently released app now for the Amazon Cloud Player, and it would be so cool if there was an app for itunes music match, so we can stream our music, and not have to worry about downloading.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003
So I can pay just once, have my old stuff laundered, download it to my MBP, then not pay again?

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
When you download songs using itunes match, your metadata will stay the same as what you have in your library. at least thats how it has been throughout the beta.

That's true, but only for songs you upload. For me, the "free upgrade to 256kpbs" that I've been able to do for some of my tracks (CDs I ripped years ago at 128 that are now on the Store) are coming with different metadata, and it's pretty annoying. For example, the track pulls down from the artist's "best of" album, instead of from the one I ripped, even when said album also exists in the store.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
It surly looks like it!

Yep. Someone wrote an article on some news site calling it "amnesty for pirates".

And you know what? It's about time. Steve certainly didn't care about music piracy. It's nice to see the power of the Internet has exerted enough influence to make the music industry tighten their belts and learn to live with only a few billion each year in profit. :)

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
No it's an annual fee.

The last week the beta has been working perfect!:D
Lets hope they make it prime time quick.

Yes but after 1 year you can cancel it, and it looks like you get to keep the upgraded downloaded songs. We will soon find out.

MrSmith

macrumors 68040
Nov 27, 2003

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
I guess this will be a rhetorical question unless a Beta user is able to confirm one way or the other, but I have manually edited the metadata in most of my library in order to have it conform to my own hierarchy of genres, using the "grouping" field to then fine tune some broader genre definitions. I personally don't like relying on the metadata choices made with a lot of content so I always set this myself. I wonder what the implications of this would be for iTunes match? Firstly, would it pose any problems for identifying the tracks to begin with, and secondly, assuming a successful match, would my custom metadata changes be honoured by the match service or would I be forced to download tracks with all the default metadata stored on iTunes' servers? This would be a pretty big deal for the way I use iTunes, and breaking my custom tagging would really reduce the appeal of the service for the way I tend to access my music collection.

jamespa66

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2007
Kenosha, WI
I guess this will be a rhetorical question unless a Beta user is able to confirm one way or the other, but I have manually edited the metadata in most of my library in order to have it conform to my own hierarchy of genres, using the "grouping" field to then fine tune some broader genre definitions. I personally don't like relying on the metadata choices made with a lot of content so I always set this myself. I wonder what the implications of this would be for iTunes match? Firstly, would it pose any problems for identifying the tracks to begin with, and secondly, assuming a successful match, would my custom metadata changes be honoured by the match service or would I be forced to download tracks with all the default metadata stored on iTunes' servers? This would be a pretty big deal for the way I use iTunes, and breaking my custom tagging would really reduce the appeal of the service for the way I tend to access my music collection.

To date it has not changed any of my metadata, only thing it has done is added missing Cover Art. That I actually appreciate.

Anaemik

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2009
Thank you for the reply! That comes as a huge relief to me. And yes, I'd have to agree that adding extra cover art would certainly be a bonus ;)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
I hope for all Itunes Match users' sake that Apple is fixing this screwed-up system so that non-destructive upgrades are supported.

It's "amateur hour" to have to wipe the database for an upgrade.

This isn't even tolerable for the beta - non-destructive upgrades should have been designed in from day one.

Anybody know any good places to pick up some cheap Gucci?

But why, unless you're more concerned with the logo on a product than its specs and performance?

Oops, never mind, Apple forum.

Last edited:

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

This is an awesome feature but what happens if iCloud is down? It's happened with MobileMe. I'd be worried about lossing all my music.

Any one share my concern?

No worries Apple's perfect. Their system will never go down. The price may go up, but the service won't go down.

Isn't that comforting :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.