Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Adobe has launched the Universal iOS app and Mac app for Carousel this evening. Carousel is Adobe's cloud storage service that allows you to access your entire photo library from all your devices.
Adobe® Carousel is the only photography solution that gives you access to your entire photo library from all your iPad, iPhone, and Mac--no storage issues, no manual syncing hassles. Enjoy your photos anywhere you are, and make them look terrific using the same powerful photo-processing technology that's used in Adobe Photoshop® Lightroom®, so you get the finest photo-editing results delivered consistently no matter what type of device you are using. Create the ultimate family photo hub by sharing a photo library with family members to contribute shots and weigh in on favorites.
The service was first announced back in September and will support Mac, Windows, iOS and Android platforms.

carousel.jpg

Beyond just online storage and syncing, the Carousel app also offers photo editing as well. The service is a paid subscription that starts at a discounted $59.99 per year or $5.99 per month. Normal pricing will be $99 per year or $9.99 per month. There is a free 30-day trial offered at launch.

Some of the features listed by Adobe include:
- Simply add photos to your Adobe Carousel photo library on your iPad, iPhone, or Mac, and you'll instantly have access to them in Adobe Carousel on your other iPad, iPhone, and Mac devices.
- Easily crop, rotate, adjust exposure, and make other corrections, or lend your photos serious style with unique looks.
- Create a family photo library without the hassle of sending emails, handing off drives, and trying to figure out which photos to touch up or use in special projects. Simply invite family members to add photos to your library via their own Adobe Carousel apps, and let them flag their favorites so everyone can quickly find the best-loved shots.
- Share those moments that matter by sending your photos straight from Adobe Carousel to Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr.
- Snap new photos right from Adobe Carousel on your iPhone or iPad, and they'll instantly appear in your photo library on all your devices.
Both the iOS and Mac apps are free downloads in their respective App Stores (iOS, Mac)

Thanks @kvnptrck

Article Link: Adobe Launches Carousel App and Photo Service for Mac and iOS

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
I'm really interested in this product. I've been chatting with John Nack about it on Twitter. Adobe seems to be heading in all the right directions lately. It's so wonderful to see a great company that was beginning to become a little bit lethargic alter their course and head for the future. I'll be applying at Adobe (among other places) when I graduate this May. Wish me luck!

chsieh

macrumors newbie
Oct 26, 2011
$99 a year is a rip-off!!

I wouldn't pay that much for an app. Even the Adobe Lightroom isn't cost that much, student price.

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Just one more service I would have to sync my photos to. Not buying it until I can have full blown Photoshop or Lightroom on my iPad. Until then, I have no need to have Adobe photo storage.

For those wondering, I do in fact pay for photo storage presently - SmugMug. But even that is only $150 and allows me to sell my photos. Cheaper plans are also available. Why would I want to pay Adobe $100/yr just to do some low-scale editing on my iPad? Now if they had a truly great Mac/PC companion app *cough*Lightroom*cough* which the photos synced to and if I could sell my photos through Carousel, that would be absolutely amazing.

All I want is one service to 1.) host photos 2.) sell those photos 3.) edit them anywhere with powerful editing tools 4.) sync all the photos automatically to the Cloud from my Mac/PC.

Give me that, Adobe, then I'll bite.

SandynJosh

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2006
I'm really interested in this product. I've been chatting with John Nack about it on Twitter. Adobe seems to be heading in all the right directions lately. It's so wonderful to see a great company that was beginning to become a little bit lethargic alter their course and head for the future. I'll be applying at Adobe (among other places) when I graduate this May. Wish me luck!

It may just my perception but Adobe seems to have really woken up after Jobs put a cattle prod to their posterior in 2007.

ipoddin

macrumors 65816
Jan 6, 2004
Los Angeles
I'm just trying to figure out what this means:

the same powerful photo-processing technology as Adobe Photoshop® Lightroom® software.

There are tons of great photo editing apps out there that will adjust all sorts of settings and have filters. What will this do different?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
awesome, looks like they even allow to delete pictures from the cloud :eek:

I'm just trying to figure out what this means:

There are tons of great photo editing apps out there that will adjust all sorts of settings and have filters. What will this do different?

well both are adobe products, do u expect them to advertise anything else

rocknblogger

macrumors 68020
Apr 2, 2011
New Jersey
Just one more service I would have to sync my photos to. Not buying it until I can have full blown Photoshop or Lightroom on my iPad. Until then, I have no need to have Adobe photo storage.

For those wondering, I do in fact pay for photo storage presently - SmugMug. But even that is only $150 and allows me to sell my photos. Cheaper plans are also available. Why would I want to pay Adobe $100/yr just to do some low-scale editing on my iPad? Now if they had a truly great Mac/PC companion app *cough*Lightroom*cough* which the photos synced to and if I could sell my photos through Carousel, that would be absolutely amazing.

All I want is one service to 1.) host photos 2.) sell those photos 3.) edit them anywhere with powerful editing tools 4.) sync all the photos automatically to the Cloud from my Mac/PC.

They're claiming the same type of editing as Lightroom.

Feature highlights
· The same photo library on your iPad, iPhone, and Mac
· The same powerful photo-processing technology as Photoshop Lightroom
· Ability to share a photo library with your partner or spouse
· No manual syncing necessary
· A single subscription for Adobe Carousel on all your iPads, iPhones, and Macs
· Easy browsing and viewing with familiar multitouch gestures
· Sharing to Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr

danieldk

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2009
I have a hard time seeing the strategy here. Is Carousel supposed to make the Adobe ecosystem more attractive (making Adobe sell more products) or is it a product on itself?

If it is the former, it is way to expensive compared to Flickr, which is $24.95 per year for unlimited uploads

If it is the latter, it is competing with iPhoto combined with any upload site that it supports. Mac users already have iPhoto, which will probably be available for the iPad as well in time.

That said, I will try the 30 day trail...

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

campbellbis said:
I do in fact pay for photo storage presently - SmugMug. But even that is only $150 and allows me to sell my photos. Cheaper plans are also available.
______
Camp
New Ipod Touch

Any reason for the quote?

ProwlingTiger

macrumors 65816
Jan 15, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

rocknblogger said:

They're claiming the same type of editing as Lightroom.

Feature highlights
· The same photo library on your iPad, iPhone, and Mac
· The same powerful photo-processing technology as Photoshop Lightroom
· Ability to share a photo library with your partner or spouse
· No manual syncing necessary
· A single subscription for Adobe Carousel on all your iPads, iPhones, and Macs
· Easy browsing and viewing with familiar multitouch gestures
· Sharing to Facebook, Twitter, and Tumblr

No. All that means is that the underlying engine is the same. It in no way is Lightroom.

senzung

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
London, UK
I wish Flickr could step up in this new Photo Stream/Cloud/Fire whatever thingy. Stop being so Yahoo-ly lazy.

Really dont want to jump ship for another online album service, 2095 and counting high res photos isnt easy to carry over and over...

jadot

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2010
UK
Meh.

This seems to be a very specific market they're aiming at.
For any serious editing, a professional photographer would at least use a laptop/notebook on location.
Any average user (I know, I know - define 'average') probably already has their own flickr account, and doesn't have the need for photo editing on the move. It's looking like a lot of those users *might* have thought about it until they saw the subscription tie-in.

It ends up looking like another diluted product from Adobe, as they try to get back the iPhoto, flickr, SmugMug et al crowd who walked away from Photoshop.

Maybe I'm wrong - this might be just the add on that lightroom users wanted to bloat their workflow even further.

We'll see, but not if the tax is so high.

SVegard

macrumors member
Sep 8, 2011
So...what is the deal here? Editing photos through cloud service? Or just storing them?

Clouds...are scary ;(

nordicappeal

macrumors regular
Apr 16, 2011
Copenhagen, Denmark
Great but expensive

The app sounds like something I would like to used with the editing facilities... But I others have pointed out the price seem high and "I'm out for that reason".

It's great to see that Adobe is following up on some apps for iOS but I thing the expectation for what people can pay is too high.

I personally edit my images using the free app PS Express from Adobe. With the new 8MP camera in the iPhone 4S it's time to look for a better solution in terms of storage and editing which could be Adobe Carousel!? But for me I will just import them into Lightroom if I ever get around getting the iPhone 4S :)

fa.ce

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2006
The photo are push to various device ?

Or need to be downloaded everytime from cloud consuming precious data plans ?
If i have 2 mac, 1 iPhone and 1 iPad i can choose to push automagically (under my wifi network) all the photo (of an album or multiple albums) to ALL these 4 devices that stored photo in these various storage ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.