Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 17, 2009
Background: My wife and I used to be on Android phones. We used Google Talk to text with family members who didn't have text plans but had Android phones. We have now switched to iPhones and iPads, but still want to be able to interact with the family members with Android phones. What is the best app for doing so? We installed Chat for Google Talk by ilegendsoft and it works really well, but it doesn't cause a notification to pop up on Android phones, so while we get the messages they send, they wouldn't necessarily know they got ours (unless they just happen to check).

So what is the best alternative? I don't really care if it is a free or paid app as long as it works!

Biff...

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2010
Sherman Oaks, CA.
Google Voice, is the best app imo. I dropped my $30 a month texting plan and set my wife and I on this app. Other apps:

Textfree

WhatsApp

TextMe

trekki

macrumors newbie
Nov 21, 2011
For Google Talk on the iPhone, I use BeeJive IM. (I also switched from Android to iPhone, so can understand the need to find a good Google Talk app. I just wish Google would make an official offering!)

ipad2cover

macrumors newbie
Sep 7, 2012
I also have a 3g iphone which has been jailbroken and baseband 6.15 but I still can't send or receive pictures. I'm with straight talk. These are the settings I have under Cellular Data. Someone please help me send pictures.

Cellular Data

APN Att.mvno
Username blank
Password blank

Visual Voicemail

APN acds.voicemail
Username blank
Password blank

MMS

APN wap.tracfone
Username blank
Password blank
MMSC http://mmsc.tracfone.com
MMS Proxy proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
MMS Max Message Size 1048576
MMS UA Prof URL blank

jokerz126

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2010
Imo

try out IMO messenger!...great on both ipad and iphone and supports many different networks including googletalk, skype, their own, msn, etc...also has a nice clean interface..

aamirshah

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2012
I also have a 3g iphone which has been jailbroken and baseband 6.15 but I still can't send or receive pictures. I'm with straight talk. These are the settings I have under Cellular Data. Someone please help me send pictures.

Cellular Data

APN Att.mvno
Username blank
Password blank

Visual Voicemail

APN acds.voicemail
Username blank
Password blank

MMS

APN wap.tracfone
Username blank
Password blank
MMSC http://mmsc.tracfone.com
MMS Proxy proxy.mvno.tracfone.com
MMS Max Message Size 1048576
MMS UA Prof URL blank

not working for me i don't know why?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.