Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Late last month, Apple launched the iTunes Music Store in 12 new European countries, with the updated terms and conditions for users in those countries also addressing movie and TV show content despite those options not being made available in the new countries.

It now appears that Apple has begun rolling out iTunes Store movie content in a number of these and other countries, marking yet another substantial international expansion to Apple's content catalog.

pirates_caribbean_estonia.jpg

Movie listing from Estonian iTunes Store
Based on reports from readers and an examination of the iTunes Store, it appears that movies are now available in Bulgaria, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Estonia, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Poland, and Slovakia, and Slovenia - all countries that had been included in the latest round of music store expansion. Curiously, the Romanian iTunes Store appears to be the only one of the twelve recent music additions to have not yet received movie content.

Earlier this week we also received a couple of reports of movies becoming available in Greece and Portugal, two countries that have had music store access since 2004, suggesting that the movie expansion may be even broader.

As has been in the case with other similar content expansions, Apple has not yet launched dedicated navigation bar tabs in iTunes for movies in the new countries, but the content is showing up in search results.

One other batch of new European markets for iTunes Store movie content went live in late September, with the Apple TV launching in those countries soon after. Consequently, customers in countries where movie content is launching this week may also be seeing the Apple TV debut in the near future.

Article Link: Apple Launching iTunes Movie Offerings in Over a Dozen New Countries

apernett

macrumors member
Jul 31, 2010
Oh Apple, your love for Europe, Japan and China is almost sordid. We latin americans are yearning for ya and you didn't even got us a clue for when the iTunes Sotre (movies AND music) is coming here. Sigh!

lesiu

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2011
great news!

but hope as the next step they will align their store pricing to match the local currency value vs euro.
No idea why they are using ~+20% exchange rate now :confused:

Last edited:

rerelease

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2009
eesti
Wow, I should move to Estonia, they get it in English there.

One of the benefits of using such a small and insignificant language.

Almost every feature length film is in its original language, with subtitles. The notable exception are Pixar, Dreamworks etc animations with professional local voice work, but they usually have screenings in English as well.

I cringe every time I use applications translated into Estonian. It's just painful. English is a lot less awkward for computing.

sideburn

macrumors newbie
Jan 29, 2010
Give me iCloud for movies too and I'll start buying movies, donate my DVDs and never look back... :D

g-7

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2006
Poland
No Polish subtitles, movies are English only... They must be kidding, right? I think someone at Apple should at least consult Wikipedia, just to check what language is used here. No, it's not English. Really.

oliversl

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
As I understand, Apple does not allow you to buy Movies and Music outside USA because of the Movie/Music Studios, right?

The Universallization of Movies and Music is something that is years light aways from the Worldwide population.

It is too sad. I want to give the Studios money in exchange of a movie, and they didn't accept my money.

I hope is not Apple fault and also hope People understand this.

Ruieduardonunes

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2011
In Portugal we can find movies when searching but we haven't a tab yet on Mac iTunes. In iOS it already appears on the tab.

Sorry for the bad english,

From Portugal,
Rui Eduardo Nunes

oxfordguy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2008
Oxford, England
So if you buy a film, can you get the HD version? The screenshot suggests not, in which case that sucks...

Also - am I to understand from previous posts that you can only rent unless you're in the USA? Crazy...

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia

Almost every feature length film is in its original language, with subtitles. The notable exception are Pixar, Dreamworks etc animations with professional local voice work, but they usually have screenings in English as well.

I cringe every time I use applications translated into Estonian. It's just painful. English is a lot less awkward for computing.

Absolutely agree with you. Same with Latvian. Optional subtitles are welcome, but I prefer that movies and software stay with the original language, English.

Anyway - wonderful news. Apple TV, for example, becomes way more useful now.

11thIndian

macrumors regular
Oct 5, 2007
Hamilton, Ontario
So if you buy a film, can you get the HD version? The screenshot suggests not, in which case that sucks...

Also - am I to understand from previous posts that you can only rent unless you're in the USA? Crazy...

Some movies are available for purchase in SD or HD or both. Same with rentals. It's all on the studios what they allow Apple to sell or rent and when. A lot of kids movies have never been made available for rental, since they know the likelihood that a frustrated parent will break down and buy it. And it's up to the studio whether there's a 30 day holdback on rentals. Some do and some don't. I must be frustrating for Apple, cause most people will put the blame on them.

Suspended
Feb 5, 2011
Europe
I can confirm: no movies on the Romanian iTunes store. Thanks to all my fellow citizens who use pirated movies...: mad: I guess that's why we don't have iCloud for iTunes either...

xplor

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2008
Lisbon - Portugal

I feel you. Portuguese its the 5th most spoken language in the world by native speakers, and after English, french, german and spanish the most important ones in the tech world, and still i use everything i can in English. Again, its just painfull.

----------

Btw, the films tab shows up here to :)

dimi94941

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

Can someone answer this please:

Will these countries be getting AMERICAN movies and music, so the same as in US or will they have only their own content uploaded, so European movies and songs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.