Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

arichmann

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 9, 2011
I have recently been having problems with my battery on my iPhone 4S like everyone else has. So I decided that I would go to my local Apple store and see what was wrong. They had done a diagnostic test on it and said that my software was corrupted. They told me that to fix this problem I need to sync the iPhone to iTunes and restore and set up as a new iPhone. He emailed me this link showing me step by step on how to fix the problem with out losing anything on my phone. So I tried it out and IT'S FINALLY FIXED! My battery goes down at least one percent every 2/3 hours, giving me that 200 hour stand by time.

How to back up your data and set up as new device

1.Transfer your purchased content

Transfer all content purchased or downloaded from iTunes, the App Store, and the iBookstore from the device to your computer before you restore. If you have movie rentals on the device, see iTunes Store movie rental usage rights in the United States before restoring. Purchased content is transferred while syncing, but you can also choose to transfer purchases by following the steps below or going to iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to a computer.

• Launch iTunes.
  • Connect the device with an Apple 30-pin Dock Connector Cable.
  • Right-click the device from the source list.
  • Choose Transfer Purchases.

2. Back up your device and preserve the backup

The restore process creates a backup of the device you are restoring. When you select Set Up As New, a sync occurs that writes over your previous backup. To prevent unwanted data loss, you should take steps to preserve the backup created by iTunes.

• In iTunes, check Preferences > Devices to check the date and time of your latest backup.
  • If you do not have a recent backup, create one by right-clicking the device in the source list and choosing Back Up.

3. Restore your device

Restoring your device will delete all the data from your device, including songs, videos, contacts, photos, calendar information, and any other data. All device settings are restored to their factory condition. iTunes may need to connect to the Internet to verify or download a restore image for your device. For specific steps to take to restore your device and to learn more about the restore process, see iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software.

4. Set up your device as new

To set up as a new device in its factory configuration, choose "Set up as new" Be sure you have backed up the appropriate directory or backup files before choosing to set up as new.

5. Finishing touches

Right-click the device in the source list and choose Restore from Backup and choose the desired backup from the list provided.
Note* Restoring device creates another backup, be sure to choose the correct backup from the list [the one before factory restore], it will prompt telling you there is a newer restore point. Ignore and click USE OLDER RESTORE POINT. Will update your iPhone, leave connected as it will re-download all your apps back to your phone. After that you are finished.

HOPE THIS WORKS FOR EVERYONE!

PerplexShyt

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2011
what i fear is that, i will go through this whole process, and be back at square one -- regretting being enticed by your "it worked for me sentiments"

martiansoldier

macrumors 6502
Nov 12, 2010

To set up as a new device in its factory configuration, choose "Set up as new" Be sure you have backed up the appropriate directory or backup files before choosing to set up as new.

5. Finishing touches

Right-click the device in the source list and choose Restore from Backup and choose the desired backup from the list provided.

So, you wipe out the phone and restore it as a new device. Then you use your old backup and restore it again with the old back?

ET iPhone Home

macrumors 68040
Oct 5, 2011
Orange County, California USA
I have recently been having problems with my battery on my iPhone 4S like everyone else has. So I decided that I would go to my local Apple store and see what was wrong. They had done a diagnostic test on it and said that my software was corrupted. They told me that to fix this problem I need to sync the iPhone to iTunes and restore and set up as a new iPhone. He emailed me this link showing me step by step on how to fix the problem with out losing anything on my phone. So I tried it out and IT'S FINALLY FIXED! My battery goes down at least one percent every 2/3 hours, giving me that 200 hour stand by time.

How to back up your data and set up as new device

1.Transfer your purchased content

Transfer all content purchased or downloaded from iTunes, the App Store, and the iBookstore from the device to your computer before you restore. If you have movie rentals on the device, see iTunes Store movie rental usage rights in the United States before restoring. Purchased content is transferred while syncing, but you can also choose to transfer purchases by following the steps below or going to iTunes Store: Transferring purchases from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to a computer.

• Launch iTunes.
  • Connect the device with an Apple 30-pin Dock Connector Cable.
  • Right-click the device from the source list.
  • Choose Transfer Purchases.

2. Back up your device and preserve the backup

The restore process creates a backup of the device you are restoring. When you select Set Up As New, a sync occurs that writes over your previous backup. To prevent unwanted data loss, you should take steps to preserve the backup created by iTunes.

• In iTunes, check Preferences > Devices to check the date and time of your latest backup.
  • If you do not have a recent backup, create one by right-clicking the device in the source list and choosing Back Up.

3. Restore your device

Restoring your device will delete all the data from your device, including songs, videos, contacts, photos, calendar information, and any other data. All device settings are restored to their factory condition. iTunes may need to connect to the Internet to verify or download a restore image for your device. For specific steps to take to restore your device and to learn more about the restore process, see iTunes: Backing up, updating, and restoring your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch software.

5. Finishing touches

Note* Restoring device creates another backup, be sure to choose the correct backup from the list [the one before factory restore], it will prompt telling you there is a newer restore point. Ignore and click USE OLDER RESTORE POINT. Will update your iPhone, leave connected as it will re-download all your apps back to your phone. After that you are finished.

This will be my first iPhone. So as soon as I take it home from Sprint, am I suppose to restore it first and then restore as new or can I just restore as new?

navindralr

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2010
So, you wipe out the phone and restore it as a new device. Then you use your old backup and restore it again with the old back?

yeah seems counter intuitive.. whenever i set up an iphone as new, then do a fresh sync of everything and make sure not to restore from any old backup, as those may reintroduce the corrupt software

OCJeff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
I recently did something similar but in a more round-about manner.

Original iPhone 4S died, replacement was setup as "New" battery life seemed great, then did a Reset and erase all content (after testing for about 48 hours), and then restored from my iCloud backup (of original S4). Now the phone seems to do much better at holding a charge (compared to original 4S that was restored direct from iTunes from iPhone4 backup).

On a side note, my wife's iPhone 4 (Verizon) showed HORRIBLE life (@ 10% after just 10 hours being idle all day). Issue was the Cell Network service under location services. It was on, and attached to location tracking service. I disabled that service and now she is back to 95% at the end of an idle day.

sam3020

macrumors 6502a
Dec 3, 2007
I am going to give this a shot now and i hope it works. i am shocked about how bad my battery life has been. I fully charged my iPhone this morning and was on 25% battery by midday

thinkadam

macrumors regular
Oct 12, 2011
Canada
By the way, if your worried about the hassle of doing a restore..
The whole process takes only about 20 minutes and its pretty automated after the backup is done.
Everything goes back to the way it was.
Worth a shot

ijohnbro

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2010
All your phones are corrupt lol. Just slap the plug in the phone and your computer weekly 20 min session to fix battery, until she corrupts on ya lol

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
When I got my 4S last week, that is the first thing I did. As soon as I took it out of the box, I restored the phone as a new phone. I didn't even bother playing with it first. Honestly, my battery seems normal.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
Restore from backup is just crap. Always setup as new phone, you get everything back on your phone pretty much anyway that matters

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
I recently did something similar but in a more round-about manner.

Original iPhone 4S died, replacement was setup as "New" battery life seemed great, then did a Reset and erase all content (after testing for about 48 hours), and then restored from my iCloud backup (of original S4). Now the phone seems to do much better at holding a charge (compared to original 4S that was restored direct from iTunes from iPhone4 backup).

On a side note, my wife's iPhone 4 (Verizon) showed HORRIBLE life (@ 10% after just 10 hours being idle all day). Issue was the Cell Network service under location services. It was on, and attached to location tracking service. I disabled that service and now she is back to 95% at the end of an idle day.

wouldn't turning that off affect the phone finding your location? wouldnt that make it so the phone can't triangulate to narrow down your position before it uses the gps?

OCJeff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
wouldn't turning that off affect the phone finding your location? wouldnt that make it so the phone can't triangulate to narrow down your position before it uses the gps?

Possibly, but GPS still picks up the location quite quickly. This was a quick fix to ensure the phone wouldn't drain for no reason (when idle). I plan to do more testing and see what the impacts actually are.

I have that same service disabled on my phone and haven't noticed any issues.

DNAppleGold

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2009
yeah seems counter intuitive.. whenever i set up an iphone as new, then do a fresh sync of everything and make sure not to restore from any old backup, as those may reintroduce the corrupt software

I just want to re-iterate that best way to ensure that your problem is solved is NOT to restore from the back-up but set up as a new phone. Because you will have transferred purchases, can re-load your apps by syncing your "new phone" to Itunes. Or can you download your apps from I Cloud. This second method is slower but safer. One of your apps may have become corrupted and be causing the battery drain issue. Downloading from I Cloud ensures you have pristine versions of all apps.

There are significant downsides to not using previous back up. All your passwords and folders will be lost, as will any information stored locally (notes, message threads). I would try the method arichmmon suggests. If doesn't work, try my start from scratch method. Full disclosure, I had to do this under the guidance of a very nice Genius Bar employee when my 3gs had battery issues.

Last edited:

Jai.Mac

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Hey everyone, followed these steps and have restored my phone, will post my results...I honestly do think there's some sort of software issue here or maybe even a corruption in the build of certain phones that were shipped out.

WannaGoMac

macrumors 68030
Feb 11, 2007
setting up as new loses all voice memo, app data (game data), sms, etc...

Guess none of that stuff really matters to me. Voice memo just backup to itunes, apps get restored, games I don't do much so no idea, and sms doesn't have anything of real importance...

sup3r1or

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Manchester, UK
I tried it a few days ago and no It doesnt help! It helps ONLY FOR STAND BY TIME!

If I just read twitter or fb battery depleted at a rate of 1% every 3-4 minutes and that is SHEIT!

orange42

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
I'm giving this a shot now. My battery is pretty bad and figure this can't really hurt.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.