Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hae4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
Hi,

Neither the keys on the keyboard or the volume control on the menu bar have any effect on the volume. I still get the icons when I press the keyboard volume keys.
The only way I can change the volume is through the sound options in system preferences.

I googled the problem and somebody mentioned that deleting some plist files and restarting. I've done that and it fixed the problem but on the next restart the problem reappeared.

I'm running Snow Leopard on a late 2008 unibody macbook pro.

Could anybody please help get rid of this problem permanently?

Thanks

randomrazr

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2011
Hi,

Neither the keys on the keyboard or the volume control on the menu bar have any effect on the volume. I still get the icons when I press the keyboard volume keys.
The only way I can change the volume is through the sound options in system preferences.

I googled the problem and somebody mentioned that deleting some plist files and restarting. I've done that and it fixed the problem but on the next restart the problem reappeared.

I'm running Snow Leopard on a late 2008 unibody macbook pro.

Could anybody please help get rid of this problem permanently?

Thanks

times for new computer!!

hae4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
The problem reappeared after a restart. Any ideas what may be causing it and how to fix it?

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
i am at a loss for what this is... is there a apple store you can take it to somewhere near you?

hae4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
i am at a loss for what this is... is there a apple store you can take it to somewhere near you?
It's quite far, but I guess it's my only option. I hope they won't charge me loads of money for the service..

GuitarG20

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2011
It's quite far, but I guess it's my only option. I hope they won't charge me loads of money for the service..

if you schedule your appointment, i don't think they would. I took a original iphone into one not two months ago and they were happy to help me.

jvlopes

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2011
Can't control volume on macbook pro

I have exactly the same problem. When I press the keys (F10,F11,F12) to change the sound volume the symbol appears in the display and the bar volume change as it should be but the sound volume doesn't change.

The only way to control the volume is throught the System Preferences Audio Pane.

After a reset of PRAM I can control again the volume.

Cheers
João

hae4

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 13, 2011
if you schedule your appointment, i don't think they would. I took a original iphone into one not two months ago and they were happy to help me.
Great. I'll do that if I find time in the week

Borkabork

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2013
Solution?

Hey people, I had this problem myself.

The issue was in fact that I had interfered with the headphones socket by pulling my headphones out too fast.

All I had to do get it back to normal was plug in my headphones again and realign whatever was out of place; now it works as normal with headphones in and with the speakers.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: BobbyBooshay

johnnnw

macrumors 65816
Feb 7, 2013
Hey people, I had this problem myself.

The issue was in fact that I had interfered with the headphones socket by pulling my headphones out too fast.

All I had to do get it back to normal was plug in my headphones again and realign whatever was out of place; now it works as normal with headphones in and with the speakers.

Hope this helps.

This was in 2011, I'm sure it's solved now ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.