Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RodThePlod

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2005
London
Maybe a good opportunity would be the introduction of iPad 3 in the Spring with some goodies built into its launch date iOS update.

If iPad 3 launches in Spring, it'll have iOS 5 with a point update, but it's major new feature will be Siri.

Apple will take their time to perfect this tech. Just like Siri was the iOS 5 major talking point, this mapping tech will be one of iOS 6's major talking points.

RTP.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
This is some very impressive tech. This is standard fare for Apple though; getting behind on a feature and instead of rushing to compete, they sit back, build a better version and release it when they feel like it.

Notifications and Copy and Paste are the two big examples that spring to mind.

I totally agree. + I want multitasking to be more like Expose rather than clicking those icons back again and removing redundant applications from the multi-tasking tray. I opened Voice Memos app last week and its still there in the multi-tasking tray. Why?

cwwilson

macrumors 68000
Jan 27, 2009
Oklahoma City, OK
Seriously, it's time to break away from Google Maps since Apple is getting shafted on them anyway thanks to Android. Hopefully, this will come with the iOS6 update and will include turn-by-turn voice navigation.

southernpaws

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

dethmaShine said:
This is some very impressive tech. This is standard fare for Apple though; getting behind on a feature and instead of rushing to compete, they sit back, build a better version and release it when they feel like it.

I totally agree. + I want multitasking to be more like Expose rather than clicking those icons back again and removing redundant applications from the multi-tasking tray. I opened Voice Memos app last week and its still there in the multi-tasking tray. Why?

Why not? If I'm not mistaken, it's not using any resources being in the app tray.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell
If iPad 3 launches in Spring, it'll have iOS 5 with a point update, but it's major new feature will be Siri.

Apple will take their time to perfect this tech. Just like Siri was the iOS 5 major talking point, this mapping tech will be one of iOS 6's major talking points.

RTP.

Not 'the' major talking point but one of the major talking point.

Just thinking about the following-

All Apple devices now are running fast single core/dual core processors (3GS is similar but lets take it out of the picture). A5 is already a huge improvement on A4; A6 will be legendary.

This implies that all Apple products are very fast devices and are able to handle really good and demanding software. This is that point where more MHz don't matter much.

Apple will be coming up with some real cool features including NFC and FFC. For every app, there maybe some toggles to introduce shared content. So need to BOOM or touch. It's just like iCloud - It's already there. Just open the app.

NFC and 3D Mapping as I believe will be huge on iOS 6 and will change the landscape once again.

BTW, how many Android devices currently have 3D Mapping?

----------

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Why not? If I'm not mistaken, it's not using any resources being in the app tray.

I just don't want it to be there. What is the point? I found it after some 40 apps open already. It's much easier to just go to the home screen and select the app from there itself. :|

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
I could see Turn-by-Turn Navigation coming ahead of iOS 6. It will be integrated into and voiced by Siri. I could see that launching with iPad 3 in the spring/summer, as part of some new features that drop when Siri leaves beta (like, presumably, a Siri API). Maybe iPad 3 will come with iOS 5.5.

With the next iPhone slated for LTE, NFC, possibly a larger screen, and probably a case redesign, holding iOS features for the next release doesn't seem necessary.

Last edited:

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

5 or 6 iPhones later, we are getting a map update and hopefully turn by turn navigation...

Late but better. So, better late than never. :D

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
All I can say is goodbye Google.

And I mean that with all seriousness.

Bring on the minus 1's ;)

Why would you hate a company that had given you so much, effectively for free?

Google Earth, Google Maps and Google Street View.
Millions all around the globe have benefited from these things.

They are a saint when put up against Apple, who would have kept all these things only for itself if they had done them.

Thanatoast

macrumors 65816
Dec 3, 2002
Denver
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X; en_US) AppleWebKit (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile [FBAN/FBForIPhone;FBAV/4.0.2;FBBV/4020.0;FBDV/iPhone2,1;FBMD/iPhone;FBSN/iPhone OS;FBSV/5.0;FBSS/1; FBCR/AT&T;FBID/phone;FBLC/en_US;FBSF/1.0])

Do want!

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005

They are a saint when put up against Apple, who would have kept all these things only for itself if they had done them.

Saint? You do realize that they make a shiploads of money by selling people's private information to advertising firms right?

Let's stop short before we proclaim any saints around the tech industry. It's not a pro bono industry really. There's no such thing as free lunch.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Maps are one of the key features in a smartphone and Apple is terribly behind on that. No turn by turn mapping and sorely outdated 2D map design. Android has the edge on this.

I prefer iOS’s map UI greatly, but that’s personal preference. When it comes to turn-by-turn guidance, iOS comes with no solution, while Android comes with a terrible one: you lose guidance when you lose cell signal, because it’s Internet dependent! Haven’t ever lost the cell signal at the moment you most needed it? That’s fortunate—wait until you do. (My Android friends have.)

For $15, I upgraded iOS from no turn-by-turn guidance to something FAR better than Android has built in: Navigon MyRegion (usually $20-$25) with the map data pre-loaded. It even runs great on my old iPhone with SIM removed. No Internet needed. Choose other brands if you wish: TomTom, Garmin, whatever—but I like that MyRegion allowed me to buy just my half of the US.

So if Android’s big selling point here is that you can save $20-$30 on turn-by-turn guidance, but the penalty is that you lose it sometimes when you need it... no thanks :p I agree it’s a nice “extra” to toss in out-of-the-box without needing an app. But it’s not nice enough to solve the problem well.

(And if you really want Internet-dependent turn-by-turn guidance on iOS, the Waze app, for one, is free. It’s fine in cities, at least.)

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007

No for-profit company gives anything away for free. It may seem that way but if they are not able to profit from a product or service they will not do it.
Remember: With Google, you are their product. Not their customer.

Jim Boonie

macrumors member
Jun 21, 2011
Good, because I just bought MotionX Drive and it was the biggest pile of suck that ever sucked. The WORST directions in the universe. I believe it's Bing-powered, though. Insta-deleted. I hope this new system is actually a Navigation system and not just a Google Earth replacement.

cg0def

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2009
unbelievable

Wow, this totally blows my mind. I met with the CEO and the chief engineering officer of C3 last february at MWC … they have absolutely amazing technology and after Nokia released a very similar thing I just assumed that the company was bough by then but to find out that it was Apple makes me really happy. Kudos to the guys at C3!

Oh and if you haven't seen what they do, they have this technology that basically can map London with one plain and a custom camera rig in about 3 days. 1 day for areal photography and 2 for creating the 3D models. Oh and the 3D models that they create are absolutely amazing. They are extremely detailed and are even slightly better than what Nokia has in Ovi 3D maps.

subsonix

macrumors 68040
Feb 2, 2008

Do you think Google share their services out of kindness? Apple makes money by selling devices, Google makes money by selling your data.

(if you have a counter argument, let's hear it ok?)

Last edited:

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas

One of the many reasons why I am an Apple user.

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
The screen will have some kind of 3D capabilities, similar to the Evo 3D, but much better.

I am 100% sure that this is wrong. There is no way Apple is going to include 3D in the next iPhone. It's too gimmicky and not ready for everyday use yet. It relies on a parallax screen which will increase cost and decrease resolution.

gorgeousninja

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
secret mountain retreat

Piggie said:
All I can say is goodbye Google.

And I mean that with all seriousness.

Bring on the minus 1's ;)

Thinking that a company like Google is being in any way 'saintly' in 2011 is beyond me. When introduced the tech was indeed amazing, but what are they doing with all that info theyre collecting on you? Selling it to whoever wants it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.