Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Typical Apple? How about typical every company in the world with a product to sell and trying to make a profit.

New features help them sell products so that they don't go out of business.

Yes, typical of Apple.

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Most likely. JBing is one thing. Stealing Apple software and distributing it will likely draw out the lawyers for copyright infringement.

For all we know this feature is locked away in ios5, activating it isn't illegal because you aren't distributing anything.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
For all we know this feature is locked away in ios5, activating it isn't illegal because you aren't distributing anything.

Possibly, however, it is more likely they had to create a derivative of the siri app.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
Another reason to limit Siri to iPhone 4S

To protect the quality of the Siri experience, Apple may have chose to make it a 4S-only product simply to limit the demand on the servers, and greatly improve the response time. Imagine adding another 40 million iOS users on iPads, iPods and iPhone 4s. Some have already complained of delays in response of the system. I am just fine with people needing to "buy in" to the feature.

And as others have said. Software features not going on older models is common. Everything from Nav software on subsequent car model years to new camera models from Nikon or Canon. Most of that stuff could easily be installed on older models.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
lol, point remains. 4S and iPad 2 have been jailbroken and nooooo story. ;)

Those jailbreaks aren't available yet. We'll post at least to blog when you can do it. We did post the original iPad 2 jailbreak: https://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/06/safari-based-jailbreak-tool-returns-with-ipad-2-support/

This one is a little different because a) it might not ever become available b) it's a proof of concept c) even if it does become available, it will probably be illegal.

arn

goobot

macrumors 603
Jun 26, 2009
long island NY
Possibly, however, it is more likely they had to create a derivative of the siri app.

I don't know, I'm kinda 50/50 on it. There have been features in the past that older hardware didn't get but were activated because they were just hidden/turned off in the os.

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
Pink∆Floyd;13752694 said:
I told you guys Siri will be hacked into our 4's :rolleyes:

Some of you believed we couldn't because of "hardware limitations"

Pfff, yeah right :)

Just like the iPhone 3G that couldn't shoot video due to hardware limitations lol.

yetanotherdave

macrumors 68000
Apr 27, 2007
Bristol, England
Pink∆Floyd;13752694 said:
I told you guys Siri will be hacked into our 4's :rolleyes:

Some of you believed we couldn't because of "hardware limitations"

Pfff, yeah right :)

It could be hardware limitations still. Hardware limitations of apple's Siri servers.

shadowfax

macrumors 603
Sep 6, 2002
Houston, TX
So typical of Apple. They give their old users the very-useful iOS 5 updates on devices over 2 years old, such that those oldest devices will continue running the latest iOS software for probably 3 years total, but save one cool little app as an upgrade incentive for their latest device. What greedy bastards. That's not like other smartphone makers, which give all the latest and greatest software, including the basic OS updates, to even their 2-3 year old phones, the day the OS update is released, because those guys are so much better and not-evil than Apple. God, I'm throwing my iPhone 4 away and getting an Android. I can't wait!

B777Forevar

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
Chicago, IL
Siri should have been included in the 5.0 update for the iPhone 4.

But of course, Apple wants us to buy the latest and greatest.

Apple being Apple again.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
and proof that Apple is full of **** when it comes to what the spec siri required.
It was a complete BS blocking of it for the older hardware. Just the latest example in a fairly long list.

So much for calling the 3GS and 4G fully updated. They never got fully updated at all which BS like this.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Siri should have been included in the 5.0 update for the iPhone 4.

But of course, Apple wants us to buy the latest and greatest.

Apple being Apple again.

Gather around youngins. Let me tell you a story about the days before Apple in the phone industry.

You bought a smartphone. The exact version of the software that came with that phone, was the only version of the software you would ever see. Bugs and all.

arn

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Gather around youngins. Let me tell you about the days before Apple in the phone industry.

You bought a smartphone. The exact version of the software that came with that phone, was the only version of the software you would ever see. Bugs and all.

arn

Some android manufacturers do that still.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Gather around youngins. Let me tell you a story about the days before Apple in the phone industry.

arn

Yep, and it wasn't all that long ago either.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
and proof that Apple is full of **** when it comes to what the spec siri required.
It was a complete BS blocking of it for the older hardware. Just the latest example in a fairly long list.

So much for calling the 3GS and 4G fully updated. They never got fully updated at all which BS like this.
They never said it wouldn't be coming to those devices. Their servers can barely handle the traffic it's getting solely from the 4S as it is. Can you imagine the massive load they would have if all iDevices could suddenly access it at once? In it's current state, it would buckle for sure.

Siri and Siri's servers are in a test phase and the 4S owners are the guinea pigs.

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004

arn

well done sir. well done.

LordJohnWhorfin

macrumors regular
May 28, 2002
What a douchebag.

Share it, or ****. Nobody gives a crap about you and your "achievements" unless you share. I mean, really, if you're doing it for yourself and don't want to share, what exactly is the point in bragging to the whole world that you've done it, other than exposing yourself for the big douchebag that you are.

kevm

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Canada
Another reason Apple might not be including Siri on older hardware might be licensing. If Apple is licensing the voice recognition system from Naunce that licence may not cover old hardware.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
They never said it wouldn't be coming to those devices. Their servers can barely handle the traffic it's getting solely from the 4S as it is. Can you imagine the massive load they would have if all iDevices could suddenly access it at once? In it's current state, it would buckle for sure.

Siri and Siri's servers are in a test phase and the 4S owners are the guinea pigs.

Test phase my rear end. I would accept the test phase BS that with in say 3 months they allow all iOS devices to use it. We both know it will never be allowed on anything but iPhone 4s and beyond.

Lets see the argument given for the blocking has degraded rapidly. First it was it needs an A5 chips (that was complete debunked. Safe to bet the 3GS could easily run it)
Now it is test phase. That is a load of crap. Apple could easily scale the servers in a very short matter of time.

Lets face the facts the real reason for it is Apple needed some reason to justify the 4S being upgraded for people to buy. All the other facts are complete BS. Apple needed a reason for the fanboys to upgrade from the 4S. With out Siri there would be no real reason so they come up with a 100% fabrication one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.