Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

hardware-150x81.png

Apple has already begun work on the next major revision to Mac OS X which is being labeled as version 10.8.

Apple only just released the final version of OS X 10.7 (Lion) to customers in July. OS X Lion was the first version of Mac OS X to be distributed through the Mac App Store and it included a number of new features for the Mac. These included an iOS-like application launch screen known as Launchpad, full-screen apps, a new combined interface for Dashboard, Expose, and Spaces known as Mission Control, enhanced Multi-Touch gestures, and improvements to a number of core applications such as Mail.

While Apple has yet to announce plans for the next major version of OS X, evidence of 10.8 first began appearing in our web logs in August, and have since accelerated. This graph shows an increasing number of web visits from Mac OS X 10.8 users over the past several months.

macos1081.jpg

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; Intel Mac OS X 10_8) AppleWebKit/535.6.2 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.2 Safari/535.6.2​
While it is trivial to falsify these records, the requests originated from Apple, Inc. IP addresses and surrounding areas. Also, the overall clustering is consistent with limited internal testing. We saw a very similar pattern for the early OS X 10.7 requests which began in October, 2009:

macos1072.jpg

Note that the first appearance of 10.7 was almost a full year before the first developer preview, and nearly 20 months before the public release.

So far, there have been no hints as to what we might expect to see in Mac OS X 10.8. Historically, Apple's major OS X releases are released every other year: 10.3 in 2003, 10.4 in 2005, 10.5 in 2007, 10.6 in 2009, and 10.7 in 2011. Based on this pattern, we expect Apple to preview Mac OS X 10.8 sometime in 2012, with the final public release happening in 2013.

Another question is what Apple will call OS X 10.8. Apple has been naming their major OS X releases after feline animals such as Tiger and Leopard. "Lion" naturally seems like it may be the end of the line for those names. While Apple had previously trademarked the names "Lynx" and "Cougar", the company has since abandoned those trademarks. It should be noted that Lion hadn't been trademarked until after their first public announcement, so the choice of name could still be wide open.

Article Link: Apple Has Already Started Work on Mac OS X 10.8

8CoreWhore

macrumors 68030
Jan 17, 2008
Tejas
Bring it on! :p

We should be at the end of the line regarding cat names.

I can see them using birds next...

And it goes with the whole cloud thing.

Last edited:

Adgeman

macrumors member
Dec 22, 2005
It's interesting to see metrics like this but it shouldn't come as any surprise. I'm certain there was an engineering team working on 10.8 when 10.7 was announced. There's probably a design team figuring out what they want to see in 10.9 while the other guys get on with 10.8.

It's the same in my industry; sites publish these amazing stories saying Sony are working on the PS4. Of course they are; they'll likely be working on the basic ideas of it while the PS3 is launching. Same goes for Microsoft and whatever 360 successor they're working on.

In order to stay at the top of your game you need a roadmap greater than your next product; you need to see past that.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
I hope they stop with the ipadification of OS X.

And a concise list of things WRONG with OS X:

1) Mission Control is an absolute mess.

It needs OPTIONS in system preferences to give us back the ability to view
all open windows at once without grouping them together, just like in
Expose. Anyone who multitasks between multiple documents in photoshop,
illustrator, indesign, etc. will know exactly how annoying it is to switch to a window in a different application.

2) Simplify Mission Control.

No need for it to pull back the wallpaper when activating it, and
especially no need to show thumbnails over other desktops up top when
users only use ONE desktop.

3) Version needs to go (or be turned off).

Give users options in system preferences for versions/auto save. This is a
huge problem for privacy. I would want it turned completely off.

4) The sidebar icons.

It looks like a dumbass graphic designer with no sense of functionality
designed these. Why are they all grey? Its really difficult quickly
scanning through the list of icons to find where to go.

5) RAM optimization.

Lion is a memory HOG. One reason many of us were excited about Snow Leopard
was because it built on the greatness of Leopard itself and made the
experience better. Lion is just complete bloatware compared to Snow
Leopard.

6) Launchpad is useless for many users.

It really needs to be capable of being turned off COMPLETELY, or
trashed/uninstalled. Simply removing it from the dock does not disable
it. The proof of this is when download an application through the app
store; launchpad pops up automatically. I have no need for it, I use
shortcuts in the dock already. Im sick of the ipadification of Lion.

7) Battery life on MacBooks.

Go to any forum and you will see a massive number of users experiencing
terrible battery life. Lion is clearly not optimized, at all.

8) iTunes bloat.

While I'm at it; I hate iTunes. It'd be fine if it werent such a bloated peice of **** if it didnt include all the crap for itunes music store, support for ipods, iphones, ipads, app store, movies, etc. It'd be really great if apple could put together a simple application with a library JUST for the purpose of listening to music. For now, I use Vox.

9) TRIM Support.

Apple has been selling laptops with SSD drives for about 4 years now, and STILL hasnt added support for TRIM, something that should have been standard the day they started selling those macbook airs with SSDs. Fast forward to today, and there is NO EXCUSE for not implementing this. Windows has had TRIM for years. Where is Apple today considering their stance on being cutting edge and innovative and all that propaganda?

Last edited:

kiljoy616

macrumors 68000
Apr 17, 2008
USA
Saber tooth is going to be well who knows. Just hope that Launchpad becomes something that can run iOS apps. I would love to see more iOS apps integrated into os x. :apple:

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Looks like the hits from 10.8 are about double the hits from 10.7. Is this attributed to the increase in traffic from Apple to MR or the number of people testing it.

Do you know arn ? Has Apple been visiting MR more lately ?

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8H7 Safari/6533.18.5)

I hope that 10.8 comes with alot more innovation, 10.7 was just disappointing and seemed like a minor realease. I believe 10.7 is the first time I have not bothered to upgrade an OS on a mac, the fact that it was pushed via the app store also disapointeded me.

Axemantitan

macrumors 6502a
Mar 16, 2008
I thought it was well-known that they are always working on the next version of the OS and that work it on begins before the current one is even released. I'm sure that preliminary work on 10.8 began after 10.6 was released and 10.7 was still in Alpha or Beta. I'm sure that while coding is being done on 10.8 right now, concepts for 10.9 are already being drafted.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
It's interesting to see metrics like this but it shouldn't come as any surprise.

Sure, perhaps better title would have been. "Apple Employees Should be Working on OS X 10.8 But Instead Are Browsing MacRumors.com." :)

arn

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.