Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

earlycuyler

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
The foothills of Appalachia
I'm posting this mainly to ensure that I'm not either missing a setting or somehow testing using the wrong material before I take my phone back, but here goes:

I got my iPhone 4S about a week and a half ago. When I got it I noticed that alert sounds, etc. were only coming through one speaker. At the time I just figured that alert sounds must only use one speaker and I didn't really think much more about it.

I don't play a lot of music through my phone's speakers, but yesterday I was streaming a radio show through the phone. As I was listening I unhooked it from the headphones and picked the phone up. As I picked it up my finger covered one of the speakers and it was like hitting a mute button. So, obviously the other speaker wasn't working. I was hoping maybe it was just the source material somehow, but I tried it with several songs stored on the phone (both purchased from iTunes and ripped to iTunes), and still nothing from that speaker.

So, is there something else I can try? Am I missing something? If not, this guy is heading back to the store.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
As posted above, one of the openings on the bottom of the phone houses a speaker, the other is a microphone for actually talking on the phone. If alerts and other sounds are coming out of the speaker then it is working properly.

r2shyyou

macrumors 68000
Oct 3, 2010
Paris, France
I can't believe that after five iPhones, this question still comes up.

Not everyone has had five iPhones. While this question has come up many times and been answered many times, meaning a simple search either in these forums or Google would net the answer, I can't believe people get ripped as much as they do for asking this. A kind, simple answer isn't that hard to provide.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
There are 2 speakers, but only 1 on the bottom of the phone. The other is on the front face near the top.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
I can't believe people get ripped as much as they do for asking this.

It's because it's the first question in the FAQ at the top of the page.

There are lots of other simple questions that people are happy to answer. Yeah, not everyone knows everything. This one is a little unique, though.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

That said it is a new iPhone. Things could have changed!

earlycuyler

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 30, 2009
The foothills of Appalachia
It's because it's the first question in the FAQ at the top of the page.

There are lots of other simple questions that people are happy to answer. Yeah, not everyone knows everything. This one is a little unique, though.

Like I said, I read the FAQ a long time ago, but it is hard to remember every single thing that is in it. I know I should have gone back to read it again before starting a thread, but I'm sure most people who aren't first time posters don't re-read the FAQ before posting.

So, I forgot that my phone only has one speaker. Thanks to those folks who kindly reminded me of that.

oshia86

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2011
I can't believe that after five iPhones, this question still comes up.

I can't believe people actually answer it. Boggles the mind. I mean come on, it doesn't take much common sense to figure it out.

Not everyone has had five iPhones. While this question has come up many times and been answered many times, meaning a simple search either in these forums or Google would net the answer, I can't believe people get ripped as much as they do for asking this. A kind, simple answer isn't that hard to provide.

Yes, support laziness and stupidity.

sgrrsh26

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2009
Don't feel bad op I think it was a legit question. I thought the same thing when I first got my 3G. This forum is just full of trolls.

deeddawg

macrumors G5
Jun 14, 2010
US
You mean the FAQ that says "The hardware of the iPhone will only operate with GSM networks"? Yeah, I can see why someone might think the information in there is out of date :rolleyes:

Does look like that part could stand some updating; since it's a Wiki any of us can edit to update (which I did a little bit of just now)

The answer to the Speaker question remains correct.

JustLeft

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2007
Reminds me of when I used to own a Geo Metro, which had a 3 cylinder engine. Used to stop in repair shops and tell them that I was missing on 1 cylinder. Most mechanics would pop the hood and do a wtf. Best mileage and worst car I ever owned.

AndrewR23

Contributor
Jun 24, 2010
Don't feel bad op I think it was a legit question. I thought the same thing when I first got my 3G. This forum is just full of trolls.

Which is why you go to Apple support forums to get quick and mature replies.

Lee Adama

macrumors regular
Jul 28, 2011
California
not sure if this was covered, but there is only 1 speaker, the other is a mic for the phone.

:D

if in doubt, I always check the Apple site first and look for product info. If I can't find it between Google and Apple, as a last resort I'll come here and wait to get beat up. It's all part of the Macrumors charm!:D

p0rkch0p

macrumors member
May 4, 2010
not gonna lie i thought mine had a defective speaker too. glad i didn't try to return it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.