Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Net Applications has released its latest monthly data on Web traffic, revealing that Apple's iOS was able to ride the strength of the iPhone 4S launch and continued iPad momentum to surge past a 60% share of traffic. According to the data, iOS was responsible for 61.64% of the mobile Web traffic during October on a geographically weighted basis.

mobile_web_marketshare_oct11.png

Net Applications Mobile/Tablet Top Operating System Share Trend (Nov '09 - Oct '11)
Apple's dominant share comes from its strong position across all three mobile device segments with the iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Google's Android operating is also seeing very strong growth in line with its rapidly-growing device sales, but Android's popularity has primarily been restricted to smartphones.

On the PC/Mac side, Apple is also continuing to increase its share of Web traffic, reaching 6.94% in October, a healthy increase of nearly half a percentage point over September and up nearly a percentage point and a half since April.

Article Link: iOS Surges Past 60% Share of Mobile Web Traffic

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Do Android users not surf the web or something? I thought Android had trounced iOS in installed base?

mr.steevo

macrumors 65816
Jul 21, 2004
These type of graphs remind me of how much it sucks being colour blind.

topmounter

macrumors 68030
Jun 18, 2009
FEMA Region VIII
Android has a dedicated geek user-base that I'm sure uses data at or above the rate of a typical iPhone user, but there are a lot more "normal" people who just buy the biggest, flashiest, hippest phone pushed on them by the salesperson and that phone is almost always an Android phone.

lamar0607

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2010
Do Android users not surf the web or something? I thought Android had trounced iOS in installed base?

I believe if you compare iphone to Android, Android has a larger install base. However since this is an iOS comparison, it will include the iPod Touch line and likely the iPad. So, iOS outnumbers Android by a ton. Hence, increased traffic.

woodbine

macrumors regular
Aug 8, 2010
Bath, UK
I believe if you compare iphone to Android, Android has a larger install base. However since this is an iOS comparison, it will include the iPod Touch line and likely the iPad. So, iOS outnumbers Android by a ton. Hence, increased traffic.

well said lamar

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003

They do, supposedly. Tough to get accurate market share measurements when companies only report what they shipped, not actually sold. These Web usage stats put a large doubt into Android market share numbers for me.

dethmaShine

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2010
Into the lungs of Hell

Please keep in my mind that iPads must be contributing to almost 35-40% of this. (My guess). There's nothing like that on Android.

+

I can easily say that a significant number of android handsets are used for a population that just needs to phone or message some times and that's about it. HTC Wildfire or Desire or Legend and other Samsung mobile phones and the entire ZTE catalogue, etc are basically touchscreen dumb phones. These are bought by those people who used to pay around $100 for a good nokia phone but now find Android to be a much viable solution(which is in fact true and appropriate).

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
They do, supposedly. Tough to get accurate market share measurements when companies only report what they shipped, not actually sold. These Web usage stats put a large doubt into Android market share numbers for me.

Why ? Lamar said it best, this is a device agnostic study, not a "Smartphone" study at all. We all know Android is not really having a great time in tablets and PMPs, where iOS is thriving. Not to mention Android has more market share, but installed base is still probably under the iOS installed base seeing how it was released to market 1 year and a half later and took quite sometime to catch up to iOS in market share.

Frankly, looking at this with blinders is the only way to conclude what you've just concluded.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween

All Devices, not just smart phones.

Android has yet to go anywhere meaningful on tablets.

macintoshdaddy

macrumors member
May 31, 2009
These type of graphs remind me of how much it sucks being colour blind.

They go in order of end result, top to bottom :)

It seems that Symbian users are switching to Android, and iOS users are previous Java ME users based on the trends. Both pairs are polar opposites.

Lennholm

macrumors 65816
Sep 4, 2010
That graph looks wierd, why is iOS almost exactly inverse to Java ME? What is the association between those two?

HangmanSwingset

macrumors 6502
Feb 28, 2011
Everett, WA
What the hell is "Others" ?
Pocket Netscape Navigator? :D

My guess is stuff like the Wii (Which displays most mobile versions of websites instead of the full one for some damn reason, not sure it counts), the DSi, 3DS, PSP, and such.

I'll admit that when I had financial and residential issues I used my PSP for the internet. That ended when I got an iPod touch, then I upgraded to the iPhone.

FrizzleFryBen

macrumors 6502
Dec 14, 2009
Charlotte, NC
To the confused one word poster and foul language poster. It's quite simple really.

Read rule 2 in FAQ/Rules

Useless and one-word posts. Do not bother making posts with only one or two words (e.g., "cool" or LOL) or a smilie, or post simply to have the first reply in a thread. Such posts waste everyone's time and will be deleted. Posts saying "I agree", "+1", "this", "me too", or the equivalent are also routinely removed, so don't post them. If you aren't interested in a thread, skip the thread; don't post to tell us you aren't interested. If you celebrate making the first post in a news thread, your post will be deleted.

nerdo

macrumors 6502
Dec 18, 2010
Deathstar Cantina
Funny, one of my websites that get's over 110.000 visitors a month shows something very different:

Windows
84.64%

Macintosh
9.05%

(not set)
2.30%

Linux
1.93%

iPhone
0.89%

Android
0.67%

iPad
0.45%

iPod
0.07%

And this is a website that is a Mac centric as can be.. hah. Oh well, just one website. Still funny to see it is so different. Makes me wonder about Mac Rumor stats.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.