Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

garageband_iphone_1.jpg

Apple today announced the launch of GarageBand for iPhone and iPod touch, making the previous iPad-only version a universal app.
"GarageBand on iPad has been a big hit and we think customers will love using it on their iPhone or iPod touch," said Philip Schiller, Apple's senior vice president of Worldwide Product Marketing. "The innovative Multi-Touch interface combined with Smart Instruments makes it easy to create great sounding music, even if you've never studied music or played an instrument before."
GarageBand [App Store] is available in the App Store for $4.99, with the new version 1.1 bringing iPhone and iPod touch support and several other enhancements.
What's New in Version 1.1

- Universal app designed for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch
- Create custom chords for Smart Instruments
- Support for 3/4 and 6/8 time signatures
- Reset song key without transposing original recordings
- Transpose songs in semitones or full octaves
- Additional quantization options for recordings including, straight, triplet and swing
- New audio export quality settings for AAC and AIFF (Uncompressed)
- Arpeggiator available in Smart Keyboard
- Adjustable velocity settings for Touch Instruments
- Numerous enhancements, including automatic fade out and improved audio import options
The update is just going live now and should be rolling out to all markets at this time.

garageband_iphone_2.jpg

Article Link: Apple Updates GarageBand for iOS with iPhone and iPod Touch Support

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Excellent! Now when can we get USB to instrument support? An iPad or iPhone would be ideal to plug into a MIDI piano.

jpitcairn

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2009
Excellent! Now when can we get USB to instrument support? An iPad or iPhone would be ideal to plug into a MIDI piano.

CoreMIDI support was added in 4.2. You use the Camera Connection Kit to connect USB instruments and interfaces.

imgonephishin

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2003
Sweet! So glad to see that they're still supporting the luddites like me out there who are hanging onto the 3GS. I already had the iPad version but this will be nice for playing around with when the iPad isn't around (since I NEVER am without my phone ;-)).

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Didn't it previously only play on the iPad 2 because of processor speed?

What changed to allow it to play on the iPhone 3GS?

Skika

macrumors 68030
Mar 11, 2009
Oh god yes, been wanting this since it was released on the iPad!!!

Bueno

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
It’s crazy how usable Apple can make something SO complex be on a pocket-size screen!

So, when the iPod first came out, who expected that one day you could MAKE an album on your iPod?

(Now... why is the Apple Store standalone app still not Universal??)

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
CoreMIDI support was added in 4.2. You use the Camera Connection Kit to connect USB instruments and interfaces.

Thanks! Don't they require a driver? When I plug my Yamaha DGX-620 into my Mac for GarageBand, it doesn't recognize it. I've tracked down a driver that does allow it to work. Will this work on iOS without that driver?

markm49uk

macrumors regular
Mar 12, 2008
Kingston Upon Hull, UK
I'm hanging onto my 3GS

The 3GS is a great phone still - it received the majority of the IOS5 updates, it runs better on IOS5 then it did on IOS4 and I'm using my contract upgrade to stay on the same plan but get myself a 42" plasma from the phone company as a sweetener.

Nice move Apple.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
Great but I sure wish they'd add a piano roll so you can edited those mistakes instead of having to play it over or is there a simpler way that I don't know about:D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.