Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

L0giX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Hello all
Since getting my new iphone 4s I have noticed that most (but not all) pictures i transfer over to my computer wont let me rotate/ crop / edit them and save?
haven't had this problem on my ipad1, 2 iphone 3gs, or 4 .. just since i got the 4s it started..
the error I get after trying to rotate or edit in any way then save is "photo can't be saved because there is a problem with the photo's file properties"

Strange that its just some of the pictures and not all?

any ideas? is this a ios5 or iphone 4s problem??

maleko86

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
Yes!!!!!!!

I am having the same problem! But have found almost nothing online about it! Please, why is it doing THIS!!!!

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Are you trying to edit them in the Photo Stream? If so you can't do it there. You should right-click them and import them to iPhoto then you can edit them.

drgroove101

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2011
I am having the exact same issue! The error is "Windows Photo Viewer can't save the changes to this picture because there's a problem with the picture's file properties". I have photo stream setup on my windows 7 64bit PC, and about 90% of the photos that go into the photo stream directory can not be saved if changes are made to them, such as rotating them. It is extremely annoying as all of the photos are upside down. Copying the photo's out of the photo stream directory into a different directory and trying to edit the copied file yields the same error. I have examined the file properties and have not seen anything unusual. Also bypassing photo stream and copying the photos directly from my iPhone 4S to my computer also gives the same file properties error! I hope some savvy dude figures out a fix or Apple patches this...

----------

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Are you trying to edit them in the Photo Stream? If so you can't do it there. You should right-click them and import them to iPhoto then you can edit them.

You can edit photos that are in the photo stream directory and save the changes (at least on Win 7). Like I said in my previous post though 90% of the photos give this stupid file properties error, the other 10% you can change them as you please no issues.

L0giX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
I am having the exact same issue! The error is "Windows Photo Viewer can't save the changes to this picture because there's a problem with the picture's file properties". I have photo stream setup on my windows 7 64bit PC, and about 90% of the photos that go into the photo stream directory can not be saved if changes are made to them, such as rotating them. It is extremely annoying as all of the photos are upside down. Copying the photo's out of the photo stream directory into a different directory and trying to edit the copied file yields the same error. I have examined the file properties and have not seen anything unusual. Also bypassing photo stream and copying the photos directly from my iPhone 4S to my computer also gives the same file properties error! I hope some savvy dude figures out a fix or Apple patches this...

----------
exactly same as me
strange its not all photos though?

tbruinsma

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
Same thing is happening here.

The metadata that is saved by the 4s is corrupt. The only thing I have been able to do, remove all metadata from the photos. Once that is complete, the photo is editable. An improved camera with damaged data is very frustrating. :mad:

tbruinsma

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
The metadata that is saved by the 4s is corrupt. The only thing I have been able to do, remove all metadata from the photos. Once that is complete, the photo is editable. An improved camera with damaged data is very frustrating. :mad:

This issues seems to be related to photostream. If photostream is enabled and you take a photo, the resulting image will have corrupt metadata after PS has processed the photo.

Kaiser2012

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
brutal

Ok glad I am not the only one having this problem. What tool did you use to "fix" the photos?

----------

Which tool did you use to do this?

rdoble

macrumors newbie
Oct 24, 2011
Properties file

I have the same problem ... has anyone resolved it yet?

How do we correct photos already taken? As you indicated not all (but most) are invalid

Many thanks

bcbeatty

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
Original Pics copied also

I have the same issue not being able to edit.
Whats worse is the even though I edit a photo on the phone (crop/red eye/rotate) the originals are copied to by sync folder.
I have photo stream turned off.

There isn't a way to get the edited photos except to email them to myself, but then its reduced size.
Uploading to flickr sends orig photos

pcdowell

macrumors newbie
Oct 27, 2011
Same issue

How do you remove all metadata?

byulasfjazz

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2009
uh huh

having the same issue!! so annoying! if i right click and edit... i can rotate it, but the thumbnail still stays upside down.. I want to copy my photos into certain folders, but dont want them to be upside down.. annnnnnoyyyyying!

SamanS2000

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
Semi-Solution

I have the same problem. Still no real fix. I found one thing that maybe helpful but time consuming.

TIP: If you 1) edit the pictures on the iPhone 4s (just click edit) and Only Rotate them one to any direction. 2) Then transfer them to your PC 3) Problem solved and now you can rotate and edit the picture on your computer.

But it is time consuming doing this for every picture. Second thing I noticed is the picture orienttion is completely off.

1) I you take the a normal Photo with iPhone vertical --> the transfered pictures are no longer in Portrait when transfered to PC (They are rotate 90 deg and look side ways)

2) If you take the picture using the phone in a side way orientation (Landscape) with the volume buttons up --> once transfered to PC they will be in Landscape but Upside Down

and vive versa for the other two positions.

So if you take a picture with your iPhone like a camera with the convinience of the Volume Button then all your pictures are save upside down. (Its like buying a digital camera and having to hold it upside down to get a right side up picture)

Apple needs to fix the orientation and tag problem soon. As if this awful battery life wasn't pissing me off enough already.

PS. I never even turned on Photo Stream so I don't think photo stream being on or not has anything to do with it.

emeadows88

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2011
I have the same problem. I have worked around the issue by opening the image in Windows Paint and rotating the image. So far, the only difference I can see in the image is the file size. All of the information in the Details tab in the file Properties seems to be the same as before. I guess I'll keep doing this until a real solution has been found.

PPSH-41

macrumors member
Aug 20, 2009
USA
Add a me to this problem/issue.

Apple says take photos with the volume keys at the top (landscape mode) but the photos are then upside down on my computer. I can flip them but that is a pita. Videos too are wrong and you can't flip them in windows media player but VLC media player will flip if you go into the proper settings.

Big PITA and this should be a top priority for Apple.

Sobchak99

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
Same problem here. iPhone 4s, Windows 7 x64.

I found that if I open the photos in Photoshop, they magically show up with the proper rotation. Then I select File|Save and save the photos and the rotation issue seems to be fixed.

theemptyhead

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2011
this might be the easiest solution for the windows users

Today for the first time i took pictures from my new iphone 4s. I was out with my friends and I took more than 50 pics. and after returning my home i tried to watch those pics on my windows vista. but almost all of those pics were needed to be rotated. When i rotate those pic it rotates normally but when i try to watch the next pic the message pop up saying this photo cannot be saved. It is annoying. I googled for the solution i ended up on this page, and the closest solution i found was to use photoshop, but when i tried photoshop it help me save the pictures after rotaion but there was no thumbnail of the pic.
Then i tried using "microsoft office picture manger" and finally i was relieved. you can open your pic with this software and rotate and go for next pic. The only problem is it will not auto-save your rotated pic. You'll have to click on the save button after rotating your pic. Or you can rotate all the pic of your album and at last close the program then a message will pop up saying there's unsaved pictures. Then click on save. This way you can save all the pic with one click.
Hope it helps you all.

Last edited:

Tonecrafter

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2011
You can add me to this list. I was just about to phone Verizon and tell them to send me a new iPhone. I've only had this one for two days and noticed the picture issue. I really hope this gets worked out.

pixelchild

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
uh... WTF? this started happening to me too. i'm glad i'm not the only person.

iphone 4s.
windows 7 x64.

PPFee

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
I submitted the info as well.

This appears to be just a windows issue right? By that I'm not saying its windows fault I'm just saying i haven't seen anyone with this issue in os x or am i wrong about that? For me at least its working fine with all my macs, and window 7 x64 through boot camp at least.

CBR900RR

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2008
Middle of Pacific
I had the same problem since the lanuch days on my ip4s, my work around is using the JPEG Lossless Rotator, it is build into the right click context menu.

shell2.gif

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.