Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:39 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Former Retail Store Manager Steve Cano to Succeed Ron Johnson as Apple Retail Chief? [Updated]

Yesterday, we noted that Apple senior vice president for retail Ron Johnson had been removed from Apple's list of senior executives, in line with his previously-announced departure to become CEO of department store chain J.C. Penney. The transition occurred with no announcement from Apple regarding Johnson's successor.

Steve Cano (left) and Ron Johnson (right) at 2004 grand opening of Shinsaibashi store in Osaka, Japan (Source: ifoAppleStore)
Cult of Mac now reports that Steve Cano has been elevated to the position of senior vice president for retail, heading up the successful division as part of the executive leadership team.
Quote:
Apple's new retail boss boss isn't just some suit, though. He's one of the first retail employees Apple ever hired, a California surfer dude who has climbed from the sales floor to the very top rung of Apple management.

It's a real rags-to-riches story that should be inspiration to every stressed out Apple Store sales associate or overworked Genius: your work can be noticed, and you too can go to the very top.

According to our source, Apple is replacing Johnson with his long-time lieutenant, Steve Cano.
According to the report, Cano began his career at Apple ten years ago as manager of the Palo Alto retail store, later moving to open the SoHo store in New York City. Consistent with previous reports of Apple looking for a candidate with international retail experience, Cano has spent the last seven years working on Apple's international retail efforts, first in Japan as manager of the Ginza store in Tokyo and then as regional director there. Cano then moved to London, where he has been serving as senior director of international retail for the last several years.

Update: Apple has issued a brief statement to Cult of Mac indicating that the search for Johnson's successor is still continuing.
Quote:
Apple has gotten back to us a statement, reading: "The search for a replacement for Ron Johnson continues, and Apple has nothing to announce about this subject at this time."
Article Link: Former Retail Store Manager Steve Cano to Succeed Ron Johnson as Apple Retail Chief? [Updated]
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:45 AM   #2
DrJohnnyN
macrumors 6502a

Hope he's up to the task.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:45 AM   #3
jdeitch
macrumors newbie

Not an iPhone

What kind of phone is Ron using in the picture?
jdeitch is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:47 AM   #4
nfl46
macrumors 601

Unacceptable. That isn't an iPhone! Lol, I'm joking.

Then again, it was 2004 when the picture was taken.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:48 AM   #5
iekozz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeitch View Post
The picture is from 2004, three years before the public introduction of the iPhone.
iekozz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:48 AM   #6
joneill55
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdeitch View Post

Looks like a Moto Star-tak. It was 2004 after all Truly a crappy phone IMHO!
joneill55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:49 AM   #7
Frosticus
macrumors 6502a

That photo was taken in 2004. iPhone came out in 2007. At least read the article a little bit first...
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:55 AM   #8
Kaibelf
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill55 View Post
Agreed. Just look at the thing. Remember the way it made a snap when it opened? My god we've come a long way.
Kaibelf is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:55 AM   #9
NebulaClash
macrumors 68000

Congrats to Stave Cano whose good work got noticed. Seems to have -- now -- the kind of experience to do the job.

Somewhere Jeff Spicoli is going "Whoa!"
Old Nov 2, 2011, 09:56 AM   #10
interrobang
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by joneill55 View Post
Except the StarTAC was black or charcoal, not silver.

And it was an AWESOME phone...in 1996, when it came out. (By 2004, it would have been quite tired.)
interrobang is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:00 AM   #11
gmcalpin
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by interrobang View Post
Except the StarTAC was black or charcoal, not silver.
It came in silver, too: http://www.retrofones.com/silver-130-p-58.html
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:08 AM   #12
AgingGeek
macrumors regular

I think the article is mis-leading or confusing it's facts. They tout him as an example of how you can rise to the top from a sales associate, then state that he STARTED as a manager of a store.

Not the same thing, and getting from "unnoticed sales monkey" to "manager" is quite a fight in the jungle, IMHO.
AgingGeek is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:26 AM   #13
anotonin
macrumors member

Congratulations Steve Cano. Hope you'll make a mark in your new position.

Hey there's another Steve on the top chain of Apple. hehe
anotonin is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:28 AM   #14
benmrii
macrumors 65816

I had the pleasure of working with Steve Cano at SoHo and can say that he is a great person and tremendous manager. The best part is what this quote makes me think of:
Quote:
It's a real rags-to-riches story that should be inspiration to every stressed out Apple Store sales associate or overworked Genius: your work can be noticed, and you too can go to the very top.
Not only is that true for him, he makes it true for everyone on his team. He always encouraged and recognized hard work and strong employees, and he did so in two ways that have become rare in the workplace: example and trust. His example through commitment and hard work made it clear that he would never expect anyone to do something that he wasn't willing to do himself. And the trust he put in his employees was nothing short of inspirational.

If you will permit me the indulgence of one memory: to this day I remember a customer service issue at the Bar that escalated to the point of Steve joining the conversation. Contrary to what many managers would do in that situation to placate a customer, he did not belittle me or dismiss my recommendations, but instead explained to the customer that, as General Manager, he had put his trust in me for such situations, and that he was going to support my recommendation. That is not the easy way out that most would take. That is the kind of example and message that motivates an employee to excellence.

Trust me: this is a man anyone would be fortunate to work for. And if this little snippet has done anything, I hope it is a worthwhile thank you and congratulations to Steve. Well deserved!
benmrii is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:30 AM   #15
nagromme
macrumors G4

Quote:
Originally Posted by iekozz View Post
The picture is from 2004, three years before the public introduction of the iPhone.
2004? Wow. That phone looks to be circa 1992!
nagromme is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:30 AM   #16
Clown Boy
macrumors regular

Why are all Apple employees deeply unattractive people when their products are so beautiful?

Strange.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:35 AM   #17
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

That would be a nice rag to riches story. Hopefully he is up for it, that's a lot of work for sure
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:42 AM   #18
Fairchild
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nagromme View Post
2004? Wow. That phone looks to be circa 1992!
Enough about the phone already! Who giveth a *****?
Fairchild is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:44 AM   #19
GREEN4U
macrumors 6502a

Who is this guy. I worked at the Palo Alto Apple Store from 2005-2008 and I never even heard his name come up.
GREEN4U is offline   -3 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:44 AM   #20
anotonin
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clown Boy View Post
Why are all Apple employees deeply unattractive people when their products are so beautiful?

Strange.
Aw, come on. Beauty is subjective.
anotonin is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 10:55 AM   #21
iRobby
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GREEN4U View Post
Who is this guy. I worked at the Palo Alto Apple Store from 2005-2008 and I never even heard his name come up.
Since you didn't read the article (he was there 5 years before you were.) here is the answer to your question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Yesterday, we noted that Apple senior vice president for retail Ron Johnson had been removed from Apple's list of senior executives, in line with his previously-announced departure to become CEO of department store chain J.C. Penney. The transition occurred with no announcement from Apple regarding Johnson's successor.

Steve Cano (left) and Ron Johnson (right) at 2004 grand opening of Shinsaibashi store in Osaka, Japan (Source: ifoAppleStore)
Cult of Mac now reports that Steve Cano has been elevated to the position of senior vice president for retail, heading up the successful division as part of the executive leadership team.According to the report, Cano began his career at Apple ten years ago as manager of the Palo Alto retail store, later moving to open the SoHo store in New York City. Consistent with previous reports of Apple looking for a candidate with international retail experience, Cano has spent the last seven years working on Apple's international retail efforts, first in Japan as manager of the Ginza store in Tokyo and then as regional director there. Cano then moved to London, where he has been serving as senior director of international retail for the last several years.

Article Link: Former Retail Store Manager Steve Cano to Succeed Ron Johnson as Apple Retail Chief?
Airport Extreme (5th Generation)
iRobby is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:02 AM   #22
GREEN4U
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRobby View Post
Since you didn't read the article (he was there 5 years before you were.) here is the answer to your question:
Obviously I know that. I meant that his name didn't come up in reference to past events/stories at the store. Other previous managers' did. We even have store meetings/trainings/orientations where they talked about the history of the store, and he was never mentioned.

R002!!!!!!
GREEN4U is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:08 AM   #23
jade
macrumors 6502

Great story, I love when companies promote from within!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 11:57 AM   #24
MacNewsFix
macrumors 6502a

His first name is Steve?

I did a Wikipedia search on him but find no trace of a previous tenure at Apple. However, it does state he is the former leader of Black Dragon and has a wicked fatality called the "Skeleton Rip" in which he "pulls out the victim's entire skeleton by grabbing the skull from their teeth and jerking it out, leaving the rest of the body to fall flat on the floor in a heap of skin."

This guy seems made for the corporate world.

MacNewsFix is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 12:10 PM   #25
whdigital
macrumors regular

Apple has officially responded to CultofMac stating that this rumor is NOT true!

"UPDATE: Apple just sent us a statement saying Cano has not been named head of retail. A spokeswoman said: “The search is underway with lots of interest and we are carefully selecting Ron’s successor. We have nothing to announce today.”
whdigital is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion