Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

steve_jobs_book_cover-150x227.jpg

The Bookseller reports that Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs easily topped the best-seller list in the United States and United Kingdom during its first week of availability. Citing Nielsen's BookScan data for U.S. figures, the report claims that the book sold 379,000 copies, outselling second-place The Litigator by John Grisham by more than three-to-one.
Despite being on sale for just six days in the US, Steve Jobs: The Exclusive Biography is already the 18th bestselling book of the year. It sits one place ahead of John Grisham's The Confession (Dell) and one place behind Rick Riordan's The Son of Neptune (Hyperion) in the year-to-date BookScan US bestseller list.
The report notes that the debut was also the strongest for any book since November of last year.

Nielsen BookScan tracks book sales volumes at their points of sale, developing a picture that encompasses the vast majority, although not all, U.S. sales including those through major online retailers such as Amazon. BookScan data does not, however, include sales of eBooks.

Amazon announced just after the book's launch that it was poised to become the best-selling book of 2011 despite a release late in the year, and the title currently ranks #3 on Amazon's chart for 2011 sales.

Sony Pictures has already acquired the movie rights to the Jobs biography, and is reportedly courting Aaron Sorkin to write the screenplay.

Article Link: 'Steve Jobs' Easily Tops Best Seller Lists in Debut Week

CAO 303

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
NHV CT
"It sits one place ahead of John Grisham's The Confession (Dell)..."

Once again, Apple beats Dell. :)

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

The Bookseller reports that Walter Isaacson's authorized biography of Steve Jobs easily topped the best-seller list in the United States and United Kingdom during its first week of availability. Citing Nielsen's BookScan data for U.S. figures, the report claims that the book sold 379,000 copies, outselling second-place The Litigator by John Grisham by more than three-to-one.The report notes that the debut was also the strongest for any book since November of last year.

Nielsen BookScan tracks book sales volumes at their points of sale, developing a picture that encompasses the vast majority, although not all, U.S. sales including those through major online retailers such as Amazon. BookScan data does not, however, include sales of eBooks.

Amazon announced just after the book's launch that it was poised to become the best-selling book of 2011 despite a release late in the year, and the title current ranks #3 on Amazon's chart for 2011 sales.

Sony Pictures has already acquired the movie rights to the Jobs biography, and is reportedly courting Aaron Sorkin to write the screenplay.

Article Link: 'Steve Jobs' Easily Tops Best Seller Lists in Debut Week

so sold 379,000 hard covers and not counting iBooks, Amazon Kindle,etc. I believe those sales were even higher. Wish we could get the full amount of all digital and hard cover for a more accurate number. I was hoping for 1 million or at least 750,000

I bought one iBook and one hardcover.

highdefw

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2009
Only bought the digital for now...

Really is a good read. Check it out if you haven't already...

teasphere

macrumors member
May 19, 2008
I enjoyed the book, but it really isn't the most well written. I haven't run any passages for a readability score but I have to imagine it is like 8-9th grade level and that may even be overly optimistic.

hobo.hopkins

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
I'm one of those who purchased a hardcover copy. It is a very well-written and informative book, even for those (like myself) who already knew a fair bit about Steve and his life. I'm not surprised that it's selling so well.

travistaylor

macrumors regular
Oct 16, 2006
Just finished the Kindle version last night, it was a great (perhaps too easy) read. I was hoping for some more light on the decision to cut the original iPhone's price by $200 so soon- but there wasn't anything in the book about that. Aw well. I bet Steve distorted reality enough to pretend that that never happened!

Great book, and I also bought a hard copy to put on the shelf. :)

Will do good

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2010
Earth
Just finished the book

Can't believe the book is almost 600 pages and I wanted more.

Since I don't know how to judge Isaacson's writing, I can tell you as a Apple user for 25+ years, this good is a great read, so much of it I still remember as it was yesterday.

Steve, thank you for the fun ride. :apple:

MightyMac007

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
I'm about halfway through the book and I love it. Excited to finish soon. I think it's nice that the book didn't paint him as a saint (at least in the first half), but did show how a true genius does what he does.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.