Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

iPhone4s_3upv2_Photo_Siri_Sprgbd_PIPH-150x171.jpg

Apple issued a statement to The Loop's Jim Dalrymple about customer complaints of poor battery life with the new iPhone 4S and iOS 5:
A small number of customers have reported lower than expected battery life on iOS 5 devices. We have found a few bugs that are affecting battery life and we will release a software update to address those in a few weeks."
There have been a litany of complaints about iPhone 4S and iOS 5 battery life ever since their release last month. A number of solutions have been proposed by the community for this problem, including turning off Time Zone detection, Bluetooth and others.

Apple has already seeded developers with a 5.0.1 beta that is said to address the issue.

Article Link: Apple Confirms Battery Life Issues With iOS 5, Software Update Coming

iPad 3

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
[url=http://cdn.macrumors.com/im/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png]Image[/url]

Apple issued a statement to The Loop's Jim Dalrymple about customer complaints of poor battery life with the new iPhone 4S:
There have been a litany of complaints about iPhone 4S battery life ever since the phone was released last month. A number of solutions have been proposed by the community for this problem, including turning off Time Zone detection, Bluetooth and others.

Article Link: Apple Confirms Battery Life Issues With iPhone 4S, Software Update Coming

about time for 4s sucks bad

mcgroarty

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2011
We've seen the issue on a couple iPhone 4 phones as well. I haven't seen any indication that it's an iPhone 4S fix, but rather a general iOS 5 fix.

odedia

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2005
This is not specific to the 4S, it's all iPhones.

Clearly, this is a software issue. I had it since Beta 1. Beta 6 fixed it, Beta 7 was bad once again.

dloomer

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2003

Yes, and I've heard reports that it affects iPads as well. The title of the MR article seems to be a mistake -- nothing in the linked article by Dalrymple or the quote from Apple mentions the 4S specifically, it just says "iOS 5 devices."

coder12

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2010
<sarcasm>I wish HTC would fix the bug on my Diamond that makes my battery die fast all the time.

...I think the bug was called "windows mobile 6.5" or something... hmm..</sarcasm>

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
How can it only be "a small number of customers" when all the 4S' run identical software? :confused:

Serious question.

Must be PR trying to soften the OMG LIGHTENING ROD IPHONE BREAKING NEWS aspect of it.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Please Apple just make it available for 4s. iPhone 4 is fine, last thing we need is for everyone to update and 4s customers are happy, but the problem has moved to the 4.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
How can it only be "a small number of customers" when all the 4S' run identical software? :confused:

Serious question.

Are you suggesting that every bug in all software affects 100% of customers?

Of course not. Despite being same software, certain behavior depends on certain conditions.

arn

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
I have found that the more I use my iphone and ipad the lower the battery gets.

Here's hoping Apple get this fix distributed soon!

Oh wait!:rolleyes:

gregorypierce

macrumors regular
Jan 28, 2002

Serious question.

Must be PR trying to soften the OMG LIGHTENING ROD IPHONE BREAKING NEWS aspect of it.

I think it is because it relates to iPhones running with a very specific set of settings. On regular settings the battery issue is not apparent. I don't see it on mine for example.

hofer

macrumors member
Aug 29, 2006
The headline is misleading.The problem is not just with iPhone 4S, it is with devices running IOS 5. I had the issue with my iPhone 4 until I rebuilt my contact file.

zoonyx

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2011
Northern England

Serious question.

My sister upgraded from a HTC Desire to a 4S.

She thinks the 4S battery life is insanely good.... she had to turn off everything on her previous POS phone, just to get it to last most of the day.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
The headline is misleading.The problem is not just with iPhone 4S, it is with devices running IOS 5. I had the issue with my iPhone 4 until I redid my contact file.

fixed the headline

arn

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Are you suggesting that every bug in all software affects 100% of customers?

Of course not. Despite being same software, certain behavior depends on certain conditions.

arn

Yeah, my wife's iPhone 4, our iPad (original) and at least one 4S owned by a friend who has been carefully monitoring his battery life after reading these reports, haven't had any issues. In fact, I'd swear the iPad battery life has gotten much better on iOS 5.

At any rate, it's definitely something specific and repeatable causing the issue, that we [all] don't do. FWIW, our two devices are both iCloud sync'ing too.

The nice upside to how Apple controls the hardware/OS, without any carrier meddling, means all devices should get resolved at the same time. I waited for _months_ on a couple of other devices because of the carrier flavored OS...

jayman99

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2009
This is excellent news! The 4S seems to be getting the same or worse battery life as my 2-year old 3GS. Definitely an issue. Glad it will be fixed, hopefully soon. ;)

blyan

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2011
Tacoma, WA

Clearly, this is a software issue. I had it since Beta 1. Beta 6 fixed it, Beta 7 was bad once again.

This. Same exact experience with my iPhone 4 and the various betas. Hopefully the new release will actually fix this.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
I give Apple high marks. They responded quite quickly to this issue.

Tim Cook, really knows how to make things happen. :D

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
A small number of customers have reported lower than expected battery life on iOS 5 devices. We have found a few bugs that are affecting battery life and we will release a software update to address those in a few weeks."

That line gets me every time.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
I never had a single battery issue with 3GS or 4 with the iOS5 betas... and I've run every build since day one.

My new 4S does have the problem though. I was able to fix it simply by turning off timezone in location services. Ill turn it back on when I get 5.01 installed and see how it goes. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more battery related bugs besides just this one.

All that being said, Ive found my 4S battery life to be incredibly good.... better than the 4 in most cases.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
That line gets me every time.

To be fair, it doesn't affect everyone, and not everyone it affects will notice and report it. Anyway, it's nice to see Apple getting out in front of this before it had a chance to turn into another "Antennagate" (I hate the overuse of the suffix "-gate").

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.