Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:41 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Confirms Battery Life Issues With iOS 5, Software Update Coming

Apple issued a statement to The Loop's Jim Dalrymple about customer complaints of poor battery life with the new iPhone 4S and iOS 5:
Quote:
A small number of customers have reported lower than expected battery life on iOS 5 devices. We have found a few bugs that are affecting battery life and we will release a software update to address those in a few weeks."
There have been a litany of complaints about iPhone 4S and iOS 5 battery life ever since their release last month. A number of solutions have been proposed by the community for this problem, including turning off Time Zone detection, Bluetooth and others.

Apple has already seeded developers with a 5.0.1 beta that is said to address the issue.

Article Link: Apple Confirms Battery Life Issues With iOS 5, Software Update Coming
MacRumors is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:45 PM   #2
iPad 3
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post

Apple issued a statement to The Loop's Jim Dalrymple about customer complaints of poor battery life with the new iPhone 4S:
There have been a litany of complaints about iPhone 4S battery life ever since the phone was released last month. A number of solutions have been proposed by the community for this problem, including turning off Time Zone detection, Bluetooth and others.

Article Link: Apple Confirms Battery Life Issues With iPhone 4S, Software Update Coming
about time for 4s sucks bad
iPad 3 is offline   -43 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:45 PM   #3
mcgroarty
macrumors newbie

We've seen the issue on a couple iPhone 4 phones as well. I haven't seen any indication that it's an iPhone 4S fix, but rather a general iOS 5 fix.
mcgroarty is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:45 PM   #4
odedia
macrumors 6502a

This is not specific to the 4S, it's all iPhones.

Clearly, this is a software issue. I had it since Beta 1. Beta 6 fixed it, Beta 7 was bad once again.
odedia is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:46 PM   #5
nfl46
macrumors 68040

Thanks, Apple!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:47 PM   #6
dloomer
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post
Yes, and I've heard reports that it affects iPads as well. The title of the MR article seems to be a mistake -- nothing in the linked article by Dalrymple or the quote from Apple mentions the 4S specifically, it just says "iOS 5 devices."
dloomer is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:47 PM   #7
coder12
macrumors 6502

<sarcasm>I wish HTC would fix the bug on my Diamond that makes my battery die fast all the time.

...I think the bug was called "windows mobile 6.5" or something... hmm..</sarcasm>
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:49 PM   #8
coolbreeze
macrumors 65816

How can it only be "a small number of customers" when all the 4S' run identical software?

Serious question.

Must be PR trying to soften the OMG LIGHTENING ROD IPHONE BREAKING NEWS aspect of it.

Note 3, iPhone 5, iPad 4 LTE, 15" rMBP, 13" rMBP, 13" Air.

coolbreeze is offline   -13 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:52 PM   #9
I8P'CS
macrumors 6502

Please Apple just make it available for 4s. iPhone 4 is fine, last thing we need is for everyone to update and 4s customers are happy, but the problem has moved to the 4.
I8P'CS is offline   -10 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:53 PM   #10
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
How can it only be "a small number of customers" when all the 4S' run identical software?

Serious question.
Are you suggesting that every bug in all software affects 100% of customers?

Of course not. Despite being same software, certain behavior depends on certain conditions.

arn
arn is offline   25 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:54 PM   #11
wrkactjob
Banned

I have found that the more I use my iphone and ipad the lower the battery gets.

Here's hoping Apple get this fix distributed soon!

Oh wait!
wrkactjob is offline   -17 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:54 PM   #12
gregorypierce
macrumors regular

Quote:

Serious question.

Must be PR trying to soften the OMG LIGHTENING ROD IPHONE BREAKING NEWS aspect of it.
I think it is because it relates to iPhones running with a very specific set of settings. On regular settings the battery issue is not apparent. I don't see it on mine for example.
gregorypierce is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:54 PM   #13
hofer
macrumors member

The headline is misleading.The problem is not just with iPhone 4S, it is with devices running IOS 5. I had the issue with my iPhone 4 until I rebuilt my contact file.
hofer is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:54 PM   #14
zoonyx
macrumors regular

Quote:

Serious question.

My sister upgraded from a HTC Desire to a 4S.

She thinks the 4S battery life is insanely good.... she had to turn off everything on her previous POS phone, just to get it to last most of the day.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:56 PM   #15
arn
macrumors god

Send a message via AIM to arn
Quote:
Originally Posted by hofer View Post
The headline is misleading.The problem is not just with iPhone 4S, it is with devices running IOS 5. I had the issue with my iPhone 4 until I redid my contact file.
fixed the headline

arn
arn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:59 PM   #16
D.T.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by arn View Post
Are you suggesting that every bug in all software affects 100% of customers?

Of course not. Despite being same software, certain behavior depends on certain conditions.

arn
Yeah, my wife's iPhone 4, our iPad (original) and at least one 4S owned by a friend who has been carefully monitoring his battery life after reading these reports, haven't had any issues. In fact, I'd swear the iPad battery life has gotten much better on iOS 5.

At any rate, it's definitely something specific and repeatable causing the issue, that we [all] don't do. FWIW, our two devices are both iCloud sync'ing too.

The nice upside to how Apple controls the hardware/OS, without any carrier meddling, means all devices should get resolved at the same time. I waited for _months_ on a couple of other devices because of the carrier flavored OS...
D.T. is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:59 PM   #17
jayman99
macrumors member

This is excellent news! The 4S seems to be getting the same or worse battery life as my 2-year old 3GS. Definitely an issue. Glad it will be fixed, hopefully soon.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 04:59 PM   #18
blyan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by odedia View Post

Clearly, this is a software issue. I had it since Beta 1. Beta 6 fixed it, Beta 7 was bad once again.
This. Same exact experience with my iPhone 4 and the various betas. Hopefully the new release will actually fix this.
blyan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:00 PM   #19
vitzr
macrumors 68030

I give Apple high marks. They responded quite quickly to this issue.

Tim Cook, really knows how to make things happen.
vitzr is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:00 PM   #20
daneoni
macrumors G4

Quote:
A small number of customers have reported lower than expected battery life on iOS 5 devices. We have found a few bugs that are affecting battery life and we will release a software update to address those in a few weeks."
That line gets me every time.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:01 PM   #21
vitzr
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by blyan View Post
This. Same exact experience with my iPhone 4 and the various betas. Hopefully the new release will actually fix this.
No it's not the same, Tim Cook is in charge now, and doing a great job.
vitzr is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:01 PM   #22
teknishn
macrumors regular

I never had a single battery issue with 3GS or 4 with the iOS5 betas... and I've run every build since day one.

My new 4S does have the problem though. I was able to fix it simply by turning off timezone in location services. Ill turn it back on when I get 5.01 installed and see how it goes. I wouldn't be surprised if there were more battery related bugs besides just this one.

All that being said, Ive found my 4S battery life to be incredibly good.... better than the 4 in most cases.
teknishn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:02 PM   #23
w00t951
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoonyx View Post
My sister upgraded from a HTC Desire to a 4S.

She thinks the 4S battery life is insanely good.... she had to turn off everything on her previous POS phone, just to get it to last most of the day.
Not very... Desirable... </lol>
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:03 PM   #24
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
To be fair, it doesn't affect everyone, and not everyone it affects will notice and report it. Anyway, it's nice to see Apple getting out in front of this before it had a chance to turn into another "Antennagate" (I hate the overuse of the suffix "-gate").
KPOM is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 05:04 PM   #25
blyan
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by daneoni View Post
I guess if they're talking about the percentage of users who actually reported the problem TO APPLE, then technically they're being accurate? But yeah, definitely a bit of word-twisting going on there.
blyan is offline   -3 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion