Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple just released iOS 5.0.1 beta to developers. The build number of 5.0.1 is 9A402.

501beta.jpg

iOS 5.0.1 beta contains improvements and other bug fixes including:
- Fixes bugs affecting battery life
- Adds Multitasking Gestures for original iPad
- Resolves bugs with Documents in the Cloud
- Improves voice recognition for Australian users using dictation
- Contains security improvements

iOS 5.0.1 beta introduces a new way for developers to specify files that should remain on device, even in low storage situations.
The last note about files addresses an iOS 5.0 issue raised by Marco Arment.
There's no longer anywhere to store files that don't need to be backed up (or can't be, by the new policy) but shouldn't be randomly deleted.
The iOS 5.0 policy introduced issues for apps that wished to store offline data. Apple appears to have addressed this issue in 5.0.1.

Article Link: Apple Seeds iOS 5.0.1 Beta: Multitasking Gestures for iPad 1, Battery Life Improvements

iPad 3

macrumors member
Aug 21, 2011
you've got me to thanks, i emailed them yesturday and said i wanted an update so I guess they have delivered on that.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Hmm. Wouldn't this be the first test of iOS 5's OTA abilities?

No, they did OTA updates before from Beta 4 to Beta 5 to Beta 6 or something like that, too bad I can't do OTA with this beta update.

EDIT: Note to developers, you can apply the 5.0.1 beta update by doing a "Option+Update" in iTunes, no need to do a full restore.

May 24, 2011

A few of the betas used OTA updates. They wouldn't use the beta, as they wouldn't know what devices to make it available to. The final version will most definitely be OTA.

LastLine

macrumors 65816
Aug 24, 2005

Indeed. It's all good though, I shall look forward to this but won't be installing Beta - I've just got Siri working beautifully for me so shan't be doing a restore to test ;-)

bettaboy123

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2010
Michigan
Gestures on the original iPad!!!! Alright!

YES!!! I thought I was going to have to jailbreak again for that option. This makes me super happy! I can finally stop using my cursed home button. :D Now all that needs to happen is delta app updates in the background and a fix to the new Music app (which sucks) and I'll be completely happy with iOS 5. :)

Last edited:

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Agreed! Really glad they're adding this functionality.
Not adding, bringing it back. Multitouch gestures worked fine on the iPad 1 since iOS 4.3, you just needed (the free) Xcode to enable it with a simple checkbox. Loosing them with iOS 5 made me for the first time consider jailbreaking my iPad.

Chocolatemilty

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm definitely happy that they're adding multitasking gestures back to the iPad 1. No need for a jailbreak now.

Now, can they PLEASE fix the Safari crashing issue on the iPad 1?! That one's the most infuriating, as I actually added multitasking gestures using a modified version of redsn0w that doesn't apply a jailbreak.

isoft7

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2011
There will be no real noticeable battery life improvements with this, or any future release. Trust me.

hchoo

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2011
They should also address the echo issue with the use of the headphones! There are many people including myself with this issue! I'm already on my 3rd iPhone 4S and all of the replacements I got had this issue including the current one I have now....

GorgonPhone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I'm definitely happy that they're adding multitasking gestures back to the iPad 1. No need for a jailbreak now.

Now, can they PLEASE fix the Safari crashing issue on the iPad 1?! That one's the most infuriating, as I actually added multitasking gestures using a modified version of redsn0w that doesn't apply a jailbreak.

umm you always need a jailbreak.. ios is crap with no BJ..:mad:

anjonjp

macrumors member
Dec 29, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
Hmmm, unfortunately there is no mention of photos (camera roll) and camera. From reviewing the Apple Forums, my issue with these seem to be pretty common. Like others, these two built-in apps worked fine initially, then gradually became worse - like as if the problem grew like cancer.

The issue:

Some photos / videos are displayed as black or grey boxes (initially, these would be fine upon import into iPhoto - now are not visible by iPhoto at all)
Camera Roll cannot be viewed - app crashes

Since yesterday, Airplay decided not to work. I haven't confirmed whether this is an issue unique to my device or shared with others.

I am using an iPhone 4 and a 'restore' didn't do anything except disorganize my apps layout and folders. In fact, it didn't put my apps back on the initial try.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.