Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:39 PM   #101
f00f
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmo2010 View Post
iTunes 10.5.1, I did the option+update method. Worked just fine
Yeah see I always do a DFU option+restore, and this choked (a method that has worked since my 3G).

Others on the forums are having mixed results with either method.

I think it's something to do on Apple's side, personally, and some folks are just getting lucky. If the install required 10.5.1 I'm sure Apple would've mentioned it.

Anyway thanks for the feedback. Glad it's working out for ya!
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:40 PM   #102
gschumsky
macrumors member

Hope they fix the camera focus issue as well. I've been playing with the idea of shooting some short films with mine, but when the camera is constantly seeking focus (can't do locked focus when on a steadicam smoothee), it's not the optimal situation.
gschumsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:41 PM   #103
joeshmo2010
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan102 View Post
Any feedback from anyone yet?? I really hope this update works and it's just not a few 'fixes' that have been posted on websites with turn bluetooth off, turn X off, turn everything off malarky!
DUDE ITS BEEN LIKE AN HOUR. best results won't be seen until end of day tomorrow. patience people.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by f00f View Post
Yeah see I always do a DFU option+restore, and this choked (a method that has worked since my 3G).

Others on the forums are having mixed results with either method.

I think it's something to do on Apple's side, personally, and some folks are just getting lucky. If the install required 10.5.1 I'm sure Apple would've mentioned it.

Anyway thanks for the feedback. Glad it's working out for ya!
i hate restoring, its just a time consuming mo-fo. i hope from now on betas can be done with option+update, so much easier and hassle-free. Oh and np for the feedback! i'll post tomorrow night on how the battery is.
joeshmo2010 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:42 PM   #104
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye411 View Post
Oh my god my battery is at 20% instead of 25% at the end of the day! What am I going to do!

Really .... It's a non issue for me. I have never ran out of battery power on my iPhone 4 or 4s. I plug it in every night and life is good.

Nothing to see here. Move along, move along, move along.
Wow, really incredible.
It's all about you, nobody else matters.
"Move along, move along, move along."
Bubba Satori is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:44 PM   #105
Darwing
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I took mine back today and got a new one.. It was a world of difference in battery life, guess some are bad others are ok
Darwing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:46 PM   #106
BoxerGT2.5
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba Satori View Post
Wow, really incredible.
It's all about you, nobody else matters.
"Move along, move along, move along."
It's the kids today, their mentality.
BoxerGT2.5 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:47 PM   #107
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschumsky View Post
Hope they fix the camera focus issue as well. I've been playing with the idea of shooting some short films with mine, but when the camera is constantly seeking focus (can't do locked focus when on a steadicam smoothee), it's not the optimal situation.
Apparent from your post, you know how to engage AE/AF lock. So let me ask you a question. Steadicam designed the Smoothee, Apple didn't. So how is it a "camera focus issue" of Apple's and not a design issue owned by Tiffen (the makers of Steadicam)?

I can see how Apple could accommodate the device, but they're not in the business of accommodating every conceivable device out there and making every device's shortcomings their own. So I wouldn't characterize this as "a camera focus issue" as if there's some material defect in the way Apple designed the feature.... That would be like me saying it's volvo's fault that my oddly shaped coffee cup won't fit in their cup holders.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:48 PM   #108
f00f
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeshmo2010 View Post
i hate restoring, its just a time consuming mo-fo. i hope from now on betas can be done with option+update, so much easier and hassle-free. Oh and np for the feedback! i'll post tomorrow night on how the battery is.
I agree it's slow; I only do it because I like a clean slate to mess with the beta for a day or two before I restore all of my crap to it.

Keeping along with the dev forums, seems folks are reporting much success with the option+update method. Perhaps this is becoming the "correct" means to install new IPSWs, and Apple just hasn't said so?
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:49 PM   #109
hspace
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gschumsky View Post
Amen to that... The camera focus is in my experience the most aggravating iOS 5 bug. The camera focusing was great in iOS 4.The new focus/exposure lock feature helps somewhat, but only if you plan your shots well. It does not work well for spontaneous shooting.
hspace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:51 PM   #110
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitzr View Post
No it's not the same, Tim Cook is in charge now, and doing a great job.
Ha. Yeah, we will see if he gets to it before his week off for Thanksgiving. Probably will wait till after. Horrible. Why take so many weeks to fix simple problem??

Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:53 PM   #111
Dizzy Slip
macrumors newbie

Battery issues with iPhone 4S only?

So does someone know why the battery issues are associated only with iPhone 4S and not others with iOS 5 installed? If it's software only, then shouldn't others notice battery issues too? I haven't noticed any on my iPhone 4.
Dizzy Slip is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:54 PM   #112
kjs862
macrumors 65816

i don't think i'm having any battery issues with my 4s, although i'm used to my old 3gs.
kjs862 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:56 PM   #113
Macman45
macrumors G5

Yes IOS5

Quote:
Originally Posted by blyan View Post
Was your iPhone 4 running iOS5? Because mine is and it loses battery like no other.
On both the 4 and the new 4S, one thing I noticed about the new phone is that although I used my original backup file to install everything, a couple of things that I had disabled on the 4 were enabled by default on the 4S.

Main culprit was Bluetooth, which chews battery power anyway.....It was disabled on my 4 but enabled on the new phone.

I've been through evrerything else, and it's definitely using more battery power than my 4 did.

As I posted above, it's too early to say just how much they differ, it will need a charge tomorrow, so I'll make a note of how long a single charge lasts.

The 4 used to ask to be charged when it reached 20% which always seemed a little early to me, so I used to let it go down to 10% before charging it up.

I guess if Apple are releasing an update then it's a known issue anyway, so we will wait and see. With the faster CPU, Siri etc. I doubt we will get the same amount of battery life anyway.
Old Nov 2, 2011, 06:56 PM   #114
dawnrazor
macrumors regular

This is more pro-active of Apple, in the past they have ignored issues and just updated software and it got fixed, but never confirmed fault... this is an interesting change of tact for them.
dawnrazor is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:00 PM   #115
r3dsh1ft
macrumors newbie

I've noticed a little drain in my 4S, but I think it is primarily due to having the screen brightness at max because i was plagued with a yellow tint and am trying to fix it.

My iPad 2 on the other hand... Is horrible.
One time i let it fully charge overnight, didn't use it the next day until night time and was shocked to find my battery at 53%

I'm pretty sure the bug has something to do with notification center.
r3dsh1ft is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:00 PM   #116
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnrazor View Post
This is more pro-active of Apple, in the past they have ignored issues and just updated software and it got fixed, but never confirmed fault... this is an interesting change of tact for them.
True. Tim Cook is better at PR than Steve. Nice for customer.

Steve would say, 'Non issue. -Steve'

Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:01 PM   #117
Darwing
macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

I took mine back today and got a new one.. It was a world of difference in battery life, guess some are bad others are ok
Darwing is offline   -1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:09 PM   #118
mcdj
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiljoy616 View Post
So you want the ones that confirm your bias but not the ones that show no real issues at all. Oh the naked monkey and his fatalistic thinking we sure love to talk bad about those on top no matter who they be.

Same problem with macbook air wifi issues. So vocal by so few.
nonsense. if he has no battery issues, that's great. But stating "Nothing to see here. Move along, move along, move along." is just plain ridiculous.
mcdj is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:14 PM   #119
tivoboy
macrumors 68000

oh how I miss thee

Oh, how I miss steve.

He would have denied it. :-(
tivoboy is offline   -6 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:14 PM   #120
mingoglia
macrumors 6502

I've actually been pretty happy with my 4S battery life, but then again I didn't have an iPhone 4 to compare it to. For example I've been at work all day (about to leave), and I'm still at 51% battery life. I haven't really talked more than a few mins, but have sent about 20 emails, maybe 30 texts, and the thing buzzes every couple minutes from push Facebook notifications and other various notifications. I also have 2 Exchange accounts and the mobileme. I just care that I can make it a single full day as I charge it every night.
mingoglia is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:14 PM   #121
smirk
macrumors 6502

My iPod Touch's battery life has decreased noticeably since updating to iOS 5. Nobody on this thread has mentioned iPods... are any other Touch owners experiencing this problem too?
smirk is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:34 PM   #122
andyx3x
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by GorgonPhone View Post
my battery is fine on ios5...wtf... i will not update
Neither will I.

My iPhone 4's battery life is better than ever. I'll let others be the guinea pig and test out the new update before I do anything.
andyx3x is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:34 PM   #123
the8thark
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
How can it only be "a small number of customers" when all the 4S' run identical software?

Serious question.

Must be PR trying to soften the OMG LIGHTENING ROD IPHONE BREAKING NEWS aspect of it.
No. it is Apple telling it how it is. The public blow it all out of proportion. Just like they did with the iPhone 4 antenna issue.
the8thark is offline   -2 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:38 PM   #124
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy Slip View Post
So does someone know why the battery issues are associated only with iPhone 4S and not others with iOS 5 installed? If it's software only, then shouldn't others notice battery issues too? I haven't noticed any on my iPhone 4.
They aren't only on the 4S.
Laird Knox is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2011, 07:40 PM   #125
RalfTheDog
macrumors 65816

I am not sure how many days I am getting from my 4S. I would say quite a few. Because of server changes, I have yet to add my email addresses to my new iPhone. Do those of you who are having the problem get lots of email?

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion