Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

itunes_match-500x314.png

matchupdate.png

Apple has issued Beta 2 of iTunes 10.5.1 to developers tonight to provide further testing for the upcoming iTunes Match service:
iTunes 10.5.1 beta 2 is now available and includes a number of important stability and performance improvements. iTunes Match is also now available for testing on Apple TV.

iTunes Match stores your music library in iCloud and allows you to enjoy your collection from anywhere, any time, on your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, computer and now your Apple TV.
iTunes Match is Apple's $25/year subscription service that will match your existing iTunes library with 256-Kbps versions in the iCloud. The service was expected to be launched at the "end of October", but has since missed that target.

Apple has provided no new estimate for a launch date for the iTunes Match service.

Article Link: Apple Seeds iTunes 10.5.1 Beta 2 for Continued iTunes Match Testing

Yumunum

macrumors 65816
Apr 24, 2011
U.S.
This sucks. I bought my 16GB 4S because I could store all my music on it with Match. I've been waiting...

Gregintosh

macrumors 68000
Jan 29, 2008
Chicago
I guess this means it will probably be another several weeks or months before iTunes Match is public. I got a feeling it will end up like the White iPhone 4.... about 7 months late.

BigJohno

macrumors 65816
Jan 1, 2007
San Francisco
Don't worry people. just means there is still bugs. It will come out when it comes out. Not like anyone can't survive with out it.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA
Seriously iTunes match for ATV is important right now? Sure a nice to have, but with airplay and itunes sharing it should not be the priority, now if iTunes match worked for your movies, TV shows, etc okay, but for music only? Seems like a strange direction focus to me.

Delays and bug fixes to ensure a quality public release are fine, but the missed released date and complete lack of any information (typical Apple I know) is a fail to me. I am sure the end product will be fine, but the current situation is a fail.

RalfTheDog

macrumors 68020
Feb 23, 2010
Lagrange Point
It could be bad if they released it before it was ready. Can you imagine how upset you would be, if it gave you access to songs that were not in your library?

ethana

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
As a Beta user of iTunes Match since Day 1 I must say that you WANT to wait. It's been buggy as all hell. I noticed already that this release is MUCH faster so far.

Please be patient people... Apple just wants to do the right thing and release a great product. That's the difference between Apple and everyone else.

theBigD23

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
As a Beta user of iTunes Match since Day 1 I must say that you WANT to wait. It's been buggy as all hell. I noticed already that this release is MUCH faster so far.

Please be patient people... Apple just wants to do the right thing and release a great product. That's the difference between Apple and everyone else.

Question: when Apple says, "They will delete all iCloud libraries at the end of the beta" that means just the iCloud music, not all of the data in iCloud?

Dwalls90

macrumors 603
Feb 5, 2009
You want to wait, trust me...

Sorry, but I used the beta before the 4S release, and I thought it was pretty reliable. It became noticeable the service was even improving as Apple was improving things server side during October as well.

I have no complaints, only that the service isn't usable at present! That, and I think we would ALL like to see better management over our cloud data (removing, editing, ect.)

----------

Question: when Apple says, "They will delete all iCloud libraries at the end of the beta" that means just the iCloud music, not all of the data in iCloud?

Yes.

marc11

macrumors 68000
Mar 30, 2011
NY USA

I think that is fair and valid, but Apple should have said something about the delay. If they didn't set the expectation of the end of October none of this would be at issue, but they did and then as Apple does, FTW, it comes out when it comes out.

Never set and expectation unless you can meet or exceed it IMHO.

kylebshr

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2011
Tennessee
I would have all my data backed up, just in case

Agreed. Restored my phone away from home because I was SURE there was an iCloud backup... not so. I know it had been backed up, but I happened to be away when they wiped ALL of iCloud. But it should be just music libraries in this case.

kiantech

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2007
I've been using the beta, it's really buggy and if it doesnt recognize the song it just puts unknown, even though it uploaded all the unknown songs, the tags dont seem to copy over very well.

spazzcat

macrumors 68040
Jun 29, 2007
Sorry, but I used the beta before the 4S release, and I thought it was pretty reliable. It became noticeable the service was even improving as Apple was improving things server side during October as well.

I have no complaints, only that the service isn't usable at present! That, and I think we would ALL like to see better management over our cloud data (removing, editing, ect.)

----------

Yes.

Started a new update now, lets see how it does, under the last beta I had over 2000 songs that had to be uploaded...

Laird Knox

macrumors 68000
Jun 18, 2010
Seriously iTunes match for ATV is important right now? Sure a nice to have, but with airplay and itunes sharing it should not be the priority, now if iTunes match worked for your movies, TV shows, etc okay, but for music only? Seems like a strange direction focus to me.

I'm pretty sure it isn't a priority. The feature was ready to be included into the beta so they included it. Don't forget that Apple has 60k employees, not all of them are working on the same handful of bugs. ;)

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Apple's copying again....

Please be patient people... Apple just wants to do the right thing and release a great product.

Apple is copying Microsoft's Windows 7 release! ;)

----------

I think that is fair and valid, but Apple should have said something about the delay.

Isn't it "amateur hour" to let your developers' betas expire? That really looks bad....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.