Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

mzl.kdntzerh.800x500-75-500x312.jpg

Batman: Arkham Asylum has arrived on the Mac, two years after it was released on consoles and the PC.
Batman: Arkham Asylum exposes players to a unique, dark and atmospheric adventure that takes them to the depths of Arkham Asylum - Gotham's psychiatric hospital for the criminally insane. Gamers will move in the shadows, instigate fear amongst their enemies and confront The Joker and Gotham City's most notorious villains who have taken over the asylum.

Using a wide range of Batman's gadgets and abilities, players will become the invisible predator and attempt to foil The Joker's demented scheme.

Batman: Arkham Asylum features an original story penned exclusively for the game by famous Batman author and five-time Emmy award winner Paul Dini, whose credits include Lost season one and Batman: The Animated Series.
Feral, the company that released the Mac port of the game, recommends users have a 2.8Ghz Intel processor with at least 4GB or RAM and 512MB of VRAM. Check Feral's website for complete system requirements to ensure it will work on your system.

Batman: Arkham Asylum is available on the Mac App Store for $39.99. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Batman: Arkham Asylum Arrives On the Mac App Store

levitynyc

macrumors 65816
Aug 19, 2006
I love this game. I have it for the 360 and its phenomenal. Its a shame that a 2 thousand dollar Apple laptop cannot run this game at decent settings.

Put a better graphics card in the macbook pro Apple.

EDIT: I just noticed this is Arkham Asylum and not Arkham City...wow a 2 year old game for $40. For PC on the steam this game is less than 20 bucks.

----------

Aww shucks, won't be able to play this on my laptop. Not enough V RAM.

Popular game prices rarely change.

Never heard of Steam I guess.

The Xbox 360 version of this game is $30

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
And two entire weeks before Arkham City for PC comes out!

I love Feral, but it's come to the point where the only Mac games I play are SteamPlay.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Mac games almost always command a higher price unfortunately. It seems these days the only heavily discounted Mac games I can find require a PowerPC processor. :p

But it's still a good thing, more games on the Mac is a very good thing. The 2.8GHz CPU requirement is a bit eye-opening (although I believe the PC specs require a 3GHz CPU) you need a pretty recent Mac to play that pretty well I'm guessing. Then again it's a graphically intensive game and a modern one to boot so it's understandable.

I'll be hanging onto my Playstation 3 version of the game, but it's always good to have options available. :)

Surreal

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2004
Eye opening indeed. My 2.66 Core i7 isn't up to spec? top of the line year and a half old game cannot play 2 year old game? (I know they 'might' have updated graphics, but really...did they?)

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Eye opening indeed. My 2.66 Core i7 isn't up to spec? top of the line year and a half old game cannot play 2 year old game? (I know they 'might' have updated graphics, but really...did they?)

2.8 Ghz is "Recommended." It only needs 1.8 Ghz.

I played this game on my old 2.66 ghz Core2Duo iMac with settings on medium/high perfectly fine (1.5 years ago; game purchased for $13 :roll eyes: ) Your i7 will destroy it.

Chaos123x

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is this a true port? Or is this one of those Cider/Wine versions that is just a virtualized windows game?

Did Epic port Unreal Engine 3 to Mac?

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Popular game prices rarely change.

They do! The two games that haven't dropped their price this generation are Call of Duty 4 and New Mario Wii.

Arkham Asylum is £9.99 on Steam and has dropped to £2.50 in the past, I paid £15 (new) for the PS3 version a few weeks ago. Console game prices drop after a few months.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Is this a true port? Or is this one of those Cider/Wine versions that is just a virtualized windows game?

Did Epic port Unreal Engine 3 to Mac?

It's a true port. Epic did port UE3 to the mac, but it was very recent so Feral probably did all the work themselves.

haravikk

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2005
Shocking price, especially considering the engine (Unreal Engine 3) is already ported to Mac, so there shouldn't really be that much work involved in porting it; the kind of thing a single developer could probably do in a couple of weeks.

So why in the heck is is full-price and two years late?

I mean, of the two Arkham titles I feel it's the better; Arkham City is great and all, but it suffers badly from sequelitis; way too much going on so the story's a mess. Good fun to play, but not as moody and atmospheric as Asylum.

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
Shocking price, especially considering the engine (Unreal Engine 3) is already ported to Mac, so there shouldn't really be that much work involved in porting it; the kind of thing a single developer could probably do in a couple of weeks.

So why in the heck is is full-price and two years late?
UE3 was ported late september. I imagine Feral wasn't able to take advantage of this; they had probably been working on the game for months.

Mac games are always full price when they are finally released (The only exception is really old games, like Feral's Legends label, but even these are much more expensive than the PC versions.) Porting houses have to pay a lot of money to get the license to port the game, so the can't afford to charge the current PC price. Also, there are a lot less Mac users so they can't make it up on volume. It sucks, but that's the way it is.

towniep

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2011
Been playing it for weeks on OnLive on both my macbook air and iMac. Looking forward to City coming out on OnLive later this month.

sesnir

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2008
I was going to buy it, but with AC coming so soon I figure it will make AA obsolete... plus it's $40 and I already own it so while I'd like to support Feral, I have to pass.

I'll re-buy Deus Ex HR when they release it, though.

MondayNgt

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2004
No, I have. I guess I should clarify that most prices don't really change, at least for consoles.

Uh, yeah they do. Wait a few months and console games typically drop anywhere from $10-30. Wait even longer and they becomes "Greatest Hits" for under $30. I've seen Arkham Asylum (non GOTY edition) for $20 in a big box.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Uh, yeah they do. Wait a few months and console games typically drop anywhere from $10-30. Wait even longer and they becomes "Greatest Hits" for under $30. I've seen Arkham Asylum (non GOTY edition) for $20 in a big box.

Except for the COD games. :rolleyes:

bowzer

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2005
Ottawa, Canada

If you want to do any kind of gaming boot amp is a better route.

AeroUK

macrumors 6502
Jan 6, 2008
New York
What is the best controller for a game like this? I tried a PS3 controller and a mouse with GTA: Vice City but was not really satisfied with either...

Aaron

macdude2012

macrumors newbie
Oct 30, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

$40 for a two year old game? No thanks good i already played it on ps3, apple you sll should b ashamed of urselves, tryn to stick up people for this old ass gane, i could see if it was $20, im sure for pc, 360 and ps3, this game is $20, plus if i did buy it for my macbook pro how would i do all the special moves he does thruout the game? Using keyboard gestures? No thanks

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/9A334)

$40 for a two year old game? No thanks good i already played it on ps3, apple you sll should b ashamed of urselves, tryn to stick up people for this old ass gane, i could see if it was $20, im sure for pc, 360 and ps3, this game is $20, plus if i did buy it for my macbook pro how would i do all the special moves he does thruout the game? Using keyboard gestures? No thanks

Dear hater, Apple is not the publisher, turn your hate towards Feral, the one pricing the game. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.